Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

P3d V2 - looking great!

Volumetric clouds & fog in this video!

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/426141-prepar3d-v2-beta-videos/

I want this in X-Plane 10!!!!!

All aircraft, even those ported from previous versions, will also have 

panel lighting and reflections working beautifully, as someone from A2A already demonstrated with a screenshot taken on their great B377.

New raise in the bar... LR have to keep busy....

Of course, at least for me, visuals while important are in 2nd place to flight dynamics, but when it comes to weather impact on visual conditions, I really like to see a nice job being done by the rendering engine, certainly not as X-plane 10 presently depicts fog / haze....

Am I about to try it?  Nope! As I told you before, I am totally converted to X.-Plane ( did anyone see my nose rising as I write this? Shhhhh!!!!!! ), for many reasons. The latest add-ons I have used have thoroughly contributed to that, with huge emphasis to the NEO A320 by JarDesign, simply the best Airbus simulation I ever used in a PC-based sim ( since the AMIGA version :-) )

The day P3D v2 get's available I'll buy FF's 757 - I believe the cost will be similar ( for a license upgrade ), and add to my X-Plane 10 fleet yet another masterpiece ;-)

This doesn't mean that I can't / shouldn't take my hat off to the excellent work other platforms demonstrate, and P3D v2 certainly appears to be one with a great future...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Volumetric clouds & fog in this video!

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/426141-prepar3d-v2-beta-videos/

I want this in X-Plane 10!!!!!

All aircraft, even those ported from previous versions, will also have 

panel lighting and reflections working beautifully, as someone from A2A already demonstrated with a screenshot taken with their B3777.

New raise in the bar... LR have to keep busy....

And........ what does this remind you of that you use to like once?  :lol:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Devon, definitely the best civil flight simulator I ever used - MS FLIGHT! (*)

But, X-Plane 10 is progressively occupying a distinct 2nd place, and Aerofly FS might share it with him if v2 brings such things as RWW and weather effects on various aircraft systems, Navigation, Systems/Engine management...

Anyway, for those FSX users with LOT's of money  invested in excellent add-ons, the latest news, pictures and videos are probably the greatest Christmas Gift they could ask for.

They know, for instance, that contrarily to what some counter-information has been "saying", they'll not only be able to port their add-ons to P3D v2, but also see additional features on them such as excellent ( HDR ) panel reflections.

This is, after all, probably the best thing to happen right now to us X-plane 10 users too. Just imagine what would happen if P3D V2 was a flop? Probably most of the dynamics that have been moving LR lately could slow down in the absence of competition, and now, at least as weather rendering goes, they really have to keep busy!!!!

(*) to make it clear, I am specifically addressing the "sensation of being there". No other flight simulator has yet given me that same sensation like MS FLIGHT. Yes Aerofly FS is also very very good with it's remarkable scenery, and X-Plane 10 shines at the latest hours of the day, but... it's not the same thing - there was something special about MS FLIGHT that no other has captured so far... And I also still think that although MS Flight's Dynamics/physics model was certainly ahead of MSFS, it was, at the same time way behind what DCS or even Aerofly FS (somehow...) can provide, but... there was something special, and truth is, I still can't exactly describe what it was... Unique! I should say... BTW, everytime I fly in X-plane 10 I remember that unfortunate joke by Austin about the lack of aircraft in MS FLIGHT... Poor joke, for I really could never use X-Plane 10 with other AI aircraft around me (other than the glider tug) - it is SOOOO ridiculous!!! ATC? Yes, MS FLIGHT didn't have it, but... X-Plane 10, you're way OFF COURSE there too....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Oh MS Flight... :(

Those clouds look stunning. I'm gonna be very interested to see how it's received after release.

OTOH I did see blurries and considerable stuttering in that video, with default scenery and a default plane. Will be interesting to see how a complex addon and full ORBX scenery performs...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Oh MS Flight... :(

Those clouds look stunning. I'm gonna be very interested to see how it's received after release.

OTOH I did see blurries and considerable stuttering in that video, with default scenery and a default plane. Will be interesting to see how a complex addon and full ORBX scenery performs...

Could be the recorder they are using. Somebody should record using Nvidia Shadowplay.

This development does bring up an issue though. I said long ago in another thread here that the XPX expansion model seemed to rely all to heavily on growth through"churn"

That is, that it was apparently assumed by many that FSX would die and leave its users with nowhere to go but X-plane.

Much more likely now is that people will make the sideways move from FSX to P3D, and that means a lot of FSX developers will more than likely follow that path rather than going with X-plane.

Which leaves Xplane with the same, slow, torturous progression it has had for years if the big developers never come over to add the things that LR is too small to cover. Not necessarily the best of positions.......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Much more likely now is that people will make the sideways move from FSX to P3D, and that means a lot of FSX developers will more than likely follow that path rather than going with X-plane.

Which leaves Xplane with the same, slow, torturous progression it has had for years if the big developers never come over to add the things that LR is too small to cover. Not necessarily the best of positions.......

That is indeed a possible outcome, and one that came to my mind after seeing the first reactions to P3D v2 ( expected after all ),

But, at least for me, Prepar3d V2 brings nothing of new regarding what I really find more important after all in a flight simulator - the accuracy of flight and overall phisycs modeling, including, for instance, weather effects.

True that weather effects can be tuned up through good weather injectors, but they're default in X-Plane 10. Then, X-Plane 10 gives me a plausible World with a lot less of investment in time ( tweaking  and installing ) and money, gives me the chance to fly rotary wing without having to use external flight models, and the interaction of a well designed aircraft with the surrounding elements is still more realistic to me in X-Plane than even in the best situations I was able to capture in MSFS.

Visually, by now, P3D v2 will certainly be a step forward, no doubt about it, and it's clouds and visibility effects are probably going to be ahead of what X-Plane can offer before it's next version.

There is yet another important feature that I can easily play with in X-Plane, and not in MSFS - flight dynamics tuning. Yesterday I was editing, through Airfoil Maker, some glider airfoils of a  few great freeware models I downloaded from a very good German site, Whow, it's a whole world of possibilities that I could never find in MSFS, even when using some very "obscure" tolls for AIRfile editing....

Flying the Airbus NEO on a Lisbon approach with windy / gusting weather, by noon, is so convincing in X-Plane 10, that I really can just dream of v2 of that great airbus, and other airliners like the recently released 757.

Glider flying is another area where X-Plane 10 and their successors can also become very good at, and I don't think MSFS / ESP derivates can never get closer, unless the core weather model changes, and the flight dynamics too.

Main Simulation Rig:

The video looks like default FSX to me. Watched a while without spotting any differences. Sure XP could improve fog but also environment reflections etc. are long overdue. Same for the cockpit instruments, they should be recreated in higher resolutions.

(*) to make it clear, I am specifically addressing the "sensation of being there". No other flight simulator has yet given me that same sensation like MS FLIGHT. Yes Aerofly FS is also very very good with it's remarkable scenery, and X-Plane 10 shines at the latest hours of the day, but... it's not the same thing - there was something special about MS FLIGHT that no other has captured so far... And I also still think that although MS Flight's Dynamics/physics model was certainly ahead of MSFS, it was, at the same time way behind what DCS or even Aerofly FS (somehow...) can provide, but... there was something special, and truth is, I still can't exactly describe what it was... Unique! I should say... BTW, everytime I fly in X-plane 10 I remember that unfortunate joke by Austin about the lack of aircraft in MS FLIGHT... Poor joke, for I really could never use X-Plane 10 with other AI aircraft around me (other than the glider tug) - it is SOOOO ridiculous!!! ATC? Yes, MS FLIGHT didn't have it, but... X-Plane 10, you're way OFF COURSE there too....

That's what I like most in those Prepar3D 2.0 screenshots. They give me a Microsoft Flight vibe.

Could be the recorder they are using. Somebody should record using Nvidia Shadowplay.

OTOH I did see blurries and considerable stuttering in that video, with default scenery and a default plane. 

I was using Dxtory. Usually when recording games you'll get lower FPS etc (Fraps).

I would of filmed with ShadowPlay (if it works with P3D V2) but my GTX 580 isn't compatible with it.

The video looks like default FSX to me. Watched a while without spotting any differences. Sure XP could improve fog but also environment reflections etc. are long overdue. Same for the cockpit instruments, they should be recreated in higher resolutions.

Speaking of the cockpit instruments, I need them to be out of my face. Xplane has them so big and up close I always wanna scoot back in my chair to get some breathing room!  :P

olngjxhtvuudxcqcvj6oda2.jpg

Devons rig

Speaking of the cockpit instruments, I need them to be out of my face. Xplane has them so big and up close I always wanna scoot back in my chair to get some breathing room!  :P

That's easily fixed in the settings...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I would of filmed with ShadowPlay (if it works with P3D V2) but my GTX 580 isn't compatible with it.

ShadowPlay only works with fullscreen mode, which means it will not be compatible with Prepar3D 2.0 (which uses a borderless windowed mode in place of an exclusive fullscreen mode).

That's easily fixed in the settings...

Which settings?

Devons rig

Which settings?

You can move the pilot's viewpoint (in my italian keyboard layout, the "." and "," keys next to "m" key, move the camera viewpoint forward or backward).

Also, the pilot's viewpoint can be easily changed for every aircraft in Plane-Maker.

Here's a pic with a modified viewpoint:

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]