Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

P3d V2 - looking great!

You can move the pilot's viewpoint (in my italian keyboard layout, the "." and "," keys next to "m" key, move the camera viewpoint forward or backward).

Also, the pilot's viewpoint can be easily changed for every aircraft in Plane-Maker.

Here's a pic with a modified viewpoint:

attachicon.gifCessna_172SP_2.jpg

Thank you. Maybe now I can play without feeling I'm about to go cross-eyed!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Also in the rendering settings it's 'Lateral Field of View'. I have mine at 85, because that's how I roll:)

(edit: Jessica just pointed to this as well as I was typing).

Looking at the P3DV2 video again, the clouds and fog really are very good, which is good in setting some expectations for XP as well.

Usually I'm not a big stickler for flight model (ducks behind sofa), but I did notice the Maule swerving a bit on the runway and needing some rudder to take off straight, but as soon as it left the tarmac it flew straight as a die with no rudder or aileron, no correction at all. I know some have said XP exaggerates certain effects, but is it realistic for any plane to take off so straight, especially in dense fog?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Also in the rendering settings it's 'Lateral Field of View'. I have mine at 85, because that's how I roll:)

(edit: Jessica just pointed to this as well as I was typing).

Looking at the P3DV2 video again, the clouds and fog really are very good, which is good in setting some expectations for XP as well.

Usually I'm not a big stickler for flight model (ducks behind sofa), but I did notice the Maule swerving a bit on the runway and needing some rudder to take off straight, but as soon as it left the tarmac it flew straight as a die with no rudder or aileron, no correction at all. I know some have said XP exaggerates certain effects, but is it realistic for any plane to take off so straight, especially in dense fog?

I always think that if real planes were as hard to fly as Xplane sometimes makes it seem, nobody would do it for fun in real life!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Just fired up MSFlight for the first time in weeks just to do a comparison (although it still makes me feel like running into a previous love who dumped me).

In dense fog with the Maule, yes it does take off straight as you like and didn't change at all when flying into clearer air. I'm certainly no expert, hardly even a layman ( :P ), but it seems counterintutive for any manually operated machine to remain so well balanced with no input during such big changes in air pressure / moisture density etc. that happen in dense fog to clear air changes.

Also all this has reminded me how much I miss the Maule. Such great visibility and performance for IFR. Are there any knocking around for XP10?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Just fired up MSFlight for the first time in weeks just to do a comparison (although it still makes me feel like running into a previous love who dumped me).

In dense fog with the Maule, yes it does take off straight as you like and didn't change at all when flying into clearer air. I'm certainly no expert, hardly even a layman ( :P ), but it seems counterintutive for any manually operated machine to remain so well balanced with no input during such big changes in air pressure / moisture density etc. that happen in dense fog to clear air changes.

Also all this has reminded me how much I miss the Maule. Such great visibility and performance for IFR. Are there any knocking around for XP10?

Turn on some heavy weather and say that. I once took The icon up in heavy winds and got whipped around till I couldn't see straight. Desperately trying to find a nearby airport while being blown all over the sky, I landed with a very healthy respect for why its insane to take a bitty plane like that up in heavy weather.....

In real life, I would have kissed the ground.

Lottsa' little lessons like that. In fact, the quickest way to make every noob in the game scream and crash was to turn on the fog!  :Tounge: 

​Another valuable lesson: about why you don't really wanna fly in that stuff.

Good times.

I think every sim has its strengths. (even if they are not recognized)

I still have not felt the same heart pounding sensation in X-plane (yet)

Devons rig

Volumetric clouds & fog in this video!

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/426141-prepar3d-v2-beta-videos/

I want this in X-Plane 10!!!!!

All aircraft, even those ported from previous versions, will also have 

panel lighting and reflections working beautifully, as someone from A2A already demonstrated with a screenshot taken on their great B377.

New raise in the bar... LR have to keep busy....

Of course, at least for me, visuals while important are in 2nd place to flight dynamics, but when it comes to weather impact on visual conditions, I really like to see a nice job being done by the rendering engine, certainly not as X-plane 10 presently depicts fog / haze....

Am I about to try it?  Nope! As I told you before, I am totally converted to X.-Plane ( did anyone see my nose rising as I write this? Shhhhh!!!!!! ), for many reasons. The latest add-ons I have used have thoroughly contributed to that, with huge emphasis to the NEO A320 by JarDesign, simply the best Airbus simulation I ever used in a PC-based sim ( since the AMIGA version :-) )

The day P3D v2 get's available I'll buy FF's 757 - I believe the cost will be similar ( for a license upgrade ), and add to my X-Plane 10 fleet yet another masterpiece ;-)

This doesn't mean that I can't / shouldn't take my hat off to the excellent work other platforms demonstrate, and P3D v2 certainly appears to be one with a great future...

The LM development team have already stated that they have developed a module which will allow for 3rd party devs to develop their own flight dynamics with far more features than the standard look up tables supplied previously. The only reason they aren't adding it as a standard feature it to maintain the backwards compatibility

Anyway, with all the flip flopping you have done recently im sure we can expect to see you in the P3D forum shortly after release! :lol:

Edit. Didn't read correctly

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Devon, go to rendering options and adjust the f.o.v in there. That will keep it default for all aircraft. Iirc it's somewhere towards the bottom of the rendering setup page.

Thank God! It works. Ty.

Devons rig

Turn on some heavy weather and say that. I once took The icon up in heavy winds and got whipped around till I couldn't see straight. Desperately trying to find a nearby airport while being blown all over the sky, I landed with a very healthy respect for why its insane to take a bitty plane like that up in heavy weather.....

In real life, I would have kissed the ground.

Lottsa' little lessons like that. In fact, the quickest way to make every noob in the game scream and crash was to turn on the fog!  :Tounge: 

​Another valuable lesson: about why you don't really wanna fly in that stuff.

Good times.

I think every sim has its strengths. (even if they are not recognized)

I still have not felt the same heart pounding sensation in X-plane (yet)

I just selected the dense fog weather setting in MSFlight as that seemed to be the closest to the weather in the OP's vid. Smooth as butter it was. I'm well aware of how MSFlight throws you around otherwise in inclement weather. It's one of the many reasons it's such a thrilling experience.

As for not feeling a heart pounding sensation in XPlane, you'll get there.

Oh, Gawd, here it comes........... 

Everyone! If you wanna live, run for it!!  :lol:

Devons rig

First, fog can be very still air. In the video, I could sense and see the left drift, as the Maule picked up air speed. And then I could sense and feel the right leg muscles pushing right rudder pedal to correct the nose back to the centerline. Very good! That's what I want!

At that point, the rudder correction is there. You won't be getting an massive additional dose of roll or yaw, once the wheels leave the ground. And unless you're correcting for crosswinds, you don't need to be moving the yoke for ailerons either. It's the pressure on the rudder pedals that are doing the job on the climbout.

This is a well known complaint of mine. In order to support numerous flight simulated effects (that may be incorrect), there are videos presented, that show yokes furiously moving, etc. Then all I do, is spend a few more hours watching many additional videos, in which the yokes are not moving, moving very little, or even in the opposite direction. It just depends on the wind conditions. I know that MSFS defaulted to smoother air. I don't know about P3d.

In real life, with a taildragger, you may end up with more rudder "jabbing" than I've done on any flight simulator. Their somewhat different than a tri-gear, as you transition from tailwheel on the ground, to mains only.

Back to the video. The rudder was obviously being pushed to get back to the centerline. Rudder pressure will just stay there as the plane climbs, and then eventually removed.

That's really great to hear and thanks for the info on P3D.

Having said that scrolling to the top this would appear to be a forum to exchange information and views (good or bad) on X-Plane. There is, surprisingly, on the same site a forum devoted to P3D. I suppose if I wanted to hear the latest gossip about P3D I would go there.

Perhaps this is all part of a charitable service where users of one platform post in the forums of other platforms just to keep everybody abreast of the latest developments. I presume therefore those on the P3D forum would welcome us posting on their forum news of developments in X-Plane.

I must admit having seen the visuals, P3D looks to be a mighty fine simulator of fog and clouds; things that really cut to the core of what flight simulation is all about. Congratulations .

I admit I didn't follow the debate on P3D license, I'm just going by what the official P3D website says. I'd tend to think it's quite a dependable source on the matter. But if someone has different infos and knows that the directives given on the official P3D do not apply, I'll be gladly corrected.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Yes, here it comes. Note that certain posts that have even mentioned a banned subject have disappeared, no matter whether they were 'pro' or 'con.' :excl:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator