Sign in to follow this  
hrhett01

T7 OOM from LOWW to KJFK

Hi All,

I've flown two legs from LOWW to KJFK on the T7. I've stripped almost all addons out of the product and am down to FlyTamps's LOWW, FSDT KJFK and REX Weather. I've even gone back to the base default FSX scenery (stripped out FS Altitude, Megascenery, etc.) and dropped the scenery complexity to low.

All I'm rewarded with is out of memory on short final after a nice nine hour flight. Any quick fixes or other threads anyone can point to?

Thanks in advance,

Howard

P.S. As a corollary, this is not so uncommon (for me) when running long distance legs with the T7.

System:

Windows 7 x64

i7 920 @2.67GHz, 4 cores, 8 processors

12GB RAM

Gobs of disk storage

Howard Rhett

P3Dv4 & v5 | Windows 10 64-bit Home | 32Gb RAM | i9-9900k @ 3.60Ghz | Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 | Cirrus yoke | CH Pedals | CH Throttle Quadrant | Oculus Rift S| 500Gb SSD OS | 5Tb HDD

Ever since I started using DX10,I've had no OOM issues.

Just flown from TNCM (Flytampa) = EHAM (Aerosoft)

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I'm running DirectX 11! :(

Howard Rhett

P3Dv4 & v5 | Windows 10 64-bit Home | 32Gb RAM | i9-9900k @ 3.60Ghz | Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 | Cirrus yoke | CH Pedals | CH Throttle Quadrant | Oculus Rift S| 500Gb SSD OS | 5Tb HDD

Any quick fixes or other threads anyone can point to?

Have you taken a look at the suggestions in the intro manual?  You're running Win7 64, so that should be affording you a little extra space.  You really shouldn't be running into these issues.  I have a very similar system and I've only had OOMs when I've abused the system to instigate an OOM.

I'm running DirectX 11!

FSX doesn't run DX11.  Your computer may have DX11, but FSX doesn't take advantage of it.

Kyle Rodgers

Overclocking can cause problems.

...but has nothing to do with OOM!

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

It was the cause on my PC.

Surely a CTD (Crash to desktop) can be triggered by an instable OC, but an OOM (Out of Memory)-Problem? In what way is the speed of your processor linked to the VAS?

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

Surely a CTD (Crash to desktop) can be triggered by an instable OC, but an OOM (Out of Memory)-Problem? In what way is the speed of your processor linked to the VAS?

No clue on the reasons. I had an OCed CPU, reduced the OC and OOM stopped.

All I'm rewarded with is out of memory on short final after a nice nine hour flight. Any quick fixes or other threads anyone can point to?

Howard, are you running the highmemfix and bufferpools cfg tweak?  

Yes, I have some advice as I have flown the T7 to just about every addon scenery I have and back again and never had an OOM. The other day I flew from FSDT's KDFW to FlyTampa OMDB, landed refueled and reprogrammed, then went from OMDB to FSDT's KJFK, then without a reboot or anything went from JFK back to KDFW. The computer ran for over 24 hours to complete and had no issues or OOM's and that was with AS2012 running locally, UT2 for traffic, WOAI for cargo, GEX, UTX, MegaScenery Dallas and New York, and the addon airports for the airports I flew to and from.

Here's what I do to prevent them.

1. Run DXT5 1024 cloud sets for both cirrus and cumulous from REX, FEX, or whatever your favorite cloud set is.

2. Run DXT1 1024 or 512 water textures and animations from REX or FEX.

3. Don't extend my LOD past 4.5

4. Don't extend my cloud draw distance past 100 miles.

5. Probably the most important and most time consuming tweak of them all. I manually look in all my addon sceneries texture folders and resize any textures that are larger than 1024X1024 back to 1024 and make sure they are saved in either DXT5, DXT3 or in some cases DXT1 format and with mip maps.

There are a lot of developers that are using 2048 or 4096 sized textures these days in their sceneries and in some cases even using textures that size in 32 bit format which are the largest hog of them all and can easily cause an OOM when combined with a complex airliner, lots of AI and bad weather being displayed with large could textures bigger than 1024.

Some sceneries off the top of my head that I have had to work on the textures to resize where LatinVFR's KSAN, KMIA, FlyTampa KBUF, KTPA, TNCM v2, KBOS, Taxi2Gate MMMX (this one had a bunch of 32bit textures). Actually there is no point in listing the sceneries I have worked on because almost all of them I have had to do some texture resizing with.

Keep in mind there are some exceptions when it comes to FSDT sceneries. Their newest one Vancouver, has an option in the installer to use 1024 textures so you dont need to resize them. However their KLAX and KJFKv2 have a lot of 4096 textures in them, although that is because they chose to squeeze more textures into a few 4096 texture sheets, than have a lot more 1024 sized texture sheets. This greatly reduces draw calls and essentially uses the same amount of RAM as having 50+ 1024 textures installed. That being said, at some airports you can resize some of the 4096 sized ground textures if you wish, but the way they compile them as I explained above, can result in the ground photoreal not being as crisp, but it will reduce your overhead. Also in the case of JFK, the terminal textures are already in 1024, only the ground is 4096. At their KLAX some of the buildings are in the 4096, so reducing them can result in the buildings being a little blurry.

It's important to remember that just keeping the Texture Max Load set to 1024 in the FSX.cfg is not enough. All that does is prevent textures that are 2048 or 2096 from displaying their largest texture sheet in that size. So basically if you have a scenery that has some 4096 sized textures in it, but you have your Texture Max Load set to 1024 in the fsx.cfg the sim, when you get to that airport/scenery all that will be displayed are the texture maps/sheets in the 1024 size, however the whole 4096 sized texture sheet will still be loaded into memory, but not displayed in the sim since you are restricting it to 1024 in the TML=1024 in your FSX.cfg.

I think that in the battle of OOM's that a lot of simmers are getting is that they are not doing the leg work of looking at all their addon sceneries and manually resizing these large textures, they are just putting the TML to 1024 and think that is doing the same thing which is not the same as resizing a texture.

Remember that there is no free lunch so to speak in FSX. If you want to eliminate OOM's you are going to either have to spend a lot of time with a texture editor of your choice and resize a lot of addon airport texture sheets or just eliminate those airports altogether when flying complex aircraft that require a lot of headroom, or you will need to cut your settings like autogen, AI, and things of that nature.

Personally, I like to keep my AI, autogen, weather and all the goodies, after having spent the time to examine all my addon sceneries.

It takes a lot of time doing this if you have lots of addon airports like I do and most simmers, probably 90% or more won't go to these steps to solve the problem. They will either cut settings (AI, autogen, remove add airports, etc.) keep trying different tweaks, or just not fly the T7 anymore.

I've been following this formula since 2008 when I started flying FSX with lots of addons. Up until July of this year, I had been flying the NGX with all my addons on WinXP 32bit with only 2GB of RAM and a 1GB video card and by using textures that were no larger than 1024, I never had an OOM. That really says a lot considering the old system I was using with only 2GB of RAM that I never OOM'ed. You'll need to remember that by going to 1024 sized textures from 2048 or 4096 isn't going to suddenly make everything look bad, blurry, or like FS9 in most cases. It's true that some of the textures might not be as crisp as their 2048 or 4096 counterpart when viewed at very close distances, but when flying airliners you are never really super close to assorted buildings in the airport and are not there to nit pick it, so you'll most likely not even tell the difference in most cases.

Good luck and hope you get your issues sorted.

Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm running DirectX 11! :(

FSX at installation time,should install DX9 runtimes,

What I meant was.are you running DX10 preview mode in FSX?

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

With dxdiag it shows DirectX 11. It wasn't apparent to me that running a higher version would cause problems. As far as I know, programmiers roll patches from previous versions into subsequent versions of software so I hadn't considered that running 11 verses 10 would be an issue. Are most people running DX10 with FSX? If so, is it fair to say that these oom are less of an issue?

Jude - In the FSX settings I almost never run preview DX10.

Sean - Can you share the actual process (you use) to resize the textures in step number five (5) of your reccomendations? You mentioned a texture editor?

Howard

Howard Rhett

With dxdiag it shows DirectX 11. It wasn't apparent to me that running a higher version would cause problems. As far as I know, programmiers roll patches from previous versions into subsequent versions of software so I hadn't considered that running 11 verses 10 would be an issue.

FSX can't use DirectX 11 - it is either DirectX 9 or DirectX 10 Preview.  You can select them in Options.

What texture LOD settings are you running in your FSX.cfg?  Autogen settings?  Weather texture settings?  What was the weather conditions arriving at JFK (more clouds will increase VAS)?