Sign in to follow this  
Johan_Dees

Less is definitly more!

Hmm, yes it is definitly more!

I went from FS98/FS2000/FS2004/FSX.

Bought computers to match up, but when I add some nice scenery, some planes, and such in FSX, even my i7 comes to a halt.

And yes, tried a lot of tweaks, and some actually do something. But still, somewhere I miss fluidity.

Just for the heck of it, installed FS2004 again, throwed in the heaviest planes and scenery I had, and hey!, fluid and top notch frames!

Whatever I do, it keeps going and going. Weather, clouds density to 12, max AI planes, fsnav, all kind of tools, sceneries, you name it.

It still gives me a smooth ride!

With everything to to max, added SweetFX, and behold, its a dream to fly.

Oh, I forgot, I went from 1 monitor in FS2004 to 6 in FSX, then back to FSX on 1 monitor, and now on FS2004 on one.

LESS is definitly MORE.

Have a nice weekend captains! :P

I tried FSX again for the fifth time today...no go in Win8 even as administrator. What crap FSX is...Love my FS2004.

Ed

Same flightsim progression, but when my specially-built-for-FSX Core2 Duo turned out to be... somewhat underwhelming, I closed the door on FSX for good. 

I don't regret this at all, I've had a decade of happy simming and saved a bundle, off the hardware upgrade treadmill.

Now... if P3D delivers, it will be a tough call.

WIN XP ends soon.

My computer could do with a very slight performance nudge for FS9. (!)

FS9 can run under WIN 7 but I'd prefer to stick to XP as there are absolutely no issues.

Buying a new computer... might as well go bleeding edge, all the hassle of new setup is the same.

WIN 7 for sure.

Wow, here's a rig that can use 21st Century programme code (enter P3D)

Could this be the (unthinkable!) end of FS9???

Very similar experiences for me, I have always kept FS9 mainly for a few special aircraft (eg. DF 727), in addition to my FSX. At least that was my excuse for keeping FS9, but, strangely, I find myself constantly using FS9 over FSX, simply because it runs so smoothly (even with extensive scenery addons) whereas I spend sooo much time tweaking FSX hoping to improve things.

Warren

I did the same thing as you a couple years ago. I've just recently completely reinstalled Windows recently and made the jump back to FSX. I was pretty happy with my FS9 experience but I just couldn't stand missing out on some of the awesome stuff thats coming out for FSX.

Very similar experiences for me, I have always kept FS9 mainly for a few special aircraft (eg. DF 727), in addition to my FSX. At least that was my excuse for keeping FS9, but, strangely, I find myself constantly using FS9 over FSX, simply because it runs so smoothly (even with extensive scenery addons) whereas I spend sooo much time tweaking FSX hoping to improve things.

Exactly the same here - I run FS9 at around 150FPS, FSX at around 30-60 FPS. I only use FSX for FSX only planes, I even sometimes prefer the way FS2004 looks in terms of scenery.

I stopped having display problems in FSX one I used NVidia inspector thought, this is a great tool.

Happy flying,

Olivier

& the eye can only see about 25 frames!! Yup.. FS9 still rocks!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I admit, FSX looks much better, with the crisp high res textures, cars, etc.

(And I keep it, for low and slow to small fields.)

However... add some nice AI planes, a bigger airport, and end of the fun instantly.

EHAM gave me 6 frames.

Now with all things maxed, and graphics card setting to max, at max resolution with a wagon load of AI, and PMDG747, or equivalent heavy aircraft, and a lot of cloud layers, HD clouds, the sim keeps rocksteady at 30 fps/s where I locked it. Heck I didnt even tried higher. Now at FS9 EHAM every parking spot is in use, I had to taxi all round to find one when one departed. Thats busy!

Its the fun when flying big jets that the big airports perform flawless and with a lot of planes in the skies.

Thats why FS9 rocks. Add sweetfx for the colors and extra sharpness, and Bob is your uncle. (btw who invented this absurd saying ?)

Johan

I am now sorely tempted to seriously consider P3D, but I will still keep FS9, FSX was booted off my rig after about 10 minutes for good.

I will then proceed to adjust my textures to work for P3D, as my master files support higher definitions than FS9 does. Judging from my glacial progress with FS9 (6 years!!!) I should have everything ready in time for P4D ...

Sascha

Well they say it is much easier, the second time around!

I think it would be well worth your time investment to look at P3D - as soon as you are satisfied with the FS9 version!

To go to P3D it should be leaps forward, and I expect none.

As I said, fluidity with eyecande is what I want. Can do with FS9.5.. but I still use FSX, and monitor progress on P3D

FS9-2013-nov-19-001_zps2d47ec70.jpg

My computer could do with a very slight performance nudge for FS9. (!)

FS9 can run under WIN 7 but I'd prefer to stick to XP as there are absolutely no issues.

Buying a new computer... might as well go bleeding edge, all the hassle of new setup is the same.

WIN 7 for sure.

FS9 runs beautifully on Win 7 but FSX is not bad on it either! Frame rates, as others have said, are well above 100 FPS with FS9 and generally 20-60 FPS with FSX depending on aircraft / scenery addons in use but the main factor with FS9 and FSX (irrespective of the frame rates, which the human eye cannot discern above a certain level anyway!) is that they both run very smoothly for the most part on Win 7.

Bill

I can't let go of FS2004 either. Just had a splendid flight from KBOS to KPHL (both stunning freeware) in the Aeroworx King Air 200 with FS Global Real Weather. I have my own custom texture set and Flight Environment installes, Packed with Ai traffic and insane NVidia AA settings... For IFR and high altitude (+10000 feet) I still prefer FS2004.  

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

"and Bob is your uncle. (btw who invented this absurd saying ?)"

Do a Wikipedia search for the phrase (Avsim will not allow me to post the relevant url). The long and short is: the phrase is of unknown origin but it begins to appear in the early C20th. Some alternative origins are provided.

Just FYI. ;)