Sign in to follow this  
red259

ezdok vs opus cameras with track ir

I recently purchased track ir 5 and after using it for a bit with pmdg aircraft it occurs to me that I will need to use cameras as well for things like overhead panels. I do not own ezdok but I do own opusfsx (I have never used their cameras before). Are opus cameras just as good as ezdok? Does anyone use opus cameras with track ir 5 in pmdg aircraft or the dash 8? I watched some videos on the ezdok camera and it seems like it would be a great fit, but if I can accomplish the same results with opus then it would save me some money. 

I tried Ezdok and couldn't get on with it. Must be me, 'cos loads of people swear by it. I use TrackIR 5 and and far as the cockpit goes, I look at what I want to operate and use the TIR pause button (keeps it still) on my mouse. (back button) then use whatever, left click, scroll wheel, whatever. I can't comprehend different 'views' for different bits of the cockpit. Not with TIR anyway.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I tried Ezdok and couldn't get on with it. Must be me, 'cos loads of people swear by it. I use TrackIR 5 and and far as the cockpit goes, I look at what I want to operate and use the TIR pause button on my mouse. (back button) then use whatever, left click, scroll wheel, whatever. I can't comprehend different 'views' for different bit of the cockpit. Not with TIR anyway.

I haven't bought ezdok yet, but I saw the tutorial by Froogle below and it looks like it may be fairly simple to follow along with. My issue with track ir is I can never seem to get  a good view of the overhead or center console using just head movements. The ezdok looks like a good solution for this particular issue, but then again things always look easier in tutorials. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XHEuQmbRpQ

Works for me. I only have it enabled when I use my left seat view, and disabled on the specialized camera views.

I agree with Mr. Attwood. I tried Ezdok and although when it's working, the effects are nice, many people find the setup to be overly difficult and the software to be quite glitchy or difficult to maneuver. Personally I find the head movement to be quite exaggerated, camera profiles difficult to set up and at times a pain to run. Customer service is via the forums.. fellow customers help figuring out the problems but the company doesn't participate in the customer service. There has been long time talk about Ezdok 2.0 but the developer goes on long hiatuses without communication.

Opus is quite easy. Just install. To set up cameras you select "Add camera", select the aircraft the camera will be assigned to and modify your head placements and dynamic head movements. The developers are very active in customer service and you can usually count on a response within a few hours. Also, Opus' software is an excellent weather engine.

If I remember correctly, Both are wrapped in Flight1's wrapper which means you have 30 days to try both out and determine if you would like a refund.

-Damien

EZdok is the ultimate camera utility for FSX. And despite numerous claims that the software is difficult to master, it really isn't difficult at all if you set your mind to it. And TIR works flawlessly with it. I'll be the first to admit that its User Manual wouldn't win first prize so far as support documentation is concerned but if you take time to read through it attentively and follow the installation and setup instructions, you'll be pleasantly surprised with the result. In addition, take time to view the excellent video tutorials by Eric Krueger which are found on the EZdok Forum - http://www.simforums.com/forums/my-ezdok-setup-videos_topic38637.html. They have proven to be excellent tutorials to countless users.

Here's my latest video in which I feature EZdok. A bit lengthy but, hey, this is a hobby!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu5NoRKpoys&feature=youtu.be

Regards,

JJ

" . . . There has been long time talk about Ezdok 2.0 but the developer goes on long hiatuses without communication."

The developer has been ill for sometime now which explains the delay with version 2 of EZdok and his non-participation in the forum. Lets wish him well.

JJ

Jean-Jacques - Server Computer (Home build) W7 64 Professional - Corsair Obsidian Series 650D - Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 - Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H / i7-2700K (OC'd at 4.7 GHz) - Noctua NH-D14 - EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Classified ULTRA 3072MB - Corsair Vengeance Low Profile Blue 8GB (2x4GB) - 750GB Western Digital Caviar Black - 2TB Seagate Barracuda - NaturalPoint TrackIR5 - ASUS 27" monitor (2560x1440) - CH Yoke, CH Throttle, CH Pedals, Saitek X52 - BOSE Companion 3 Series II Multimedia Sound System
Client Computer (Dell) W7 64 Ultimate - i7 965 - 2 x 22" DELL UltraSharp monitors used for operating a number of utilities such as FSC, AivlaSoft EFB and FS Global Real Weather among others.

I'm so in awe of your sig I'm going to kill myself!

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Great video JJ.  You definitely have it mastered!  I'm jealous.  You have a heck of setup there!

Best regards,

Jim

I'm so in awe of your sig I'm going to kill myself!

Look at the video Ron and you can see some of it close up.  Quite a setup indeed!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Ron,

Thanks. In the past seven years or so, I spent about $10Gs for three computers that despite buying near top-of-the-line models from a renowned company, I never did end up with a machine that could adequately run FSX. So I got fed up and decided to build my own even with the shallow knowledge I have about hardware and operational systems. I set myself a goal last year of building a rig (the Server) which took about 2 months of research (reading, viewing videos and consulting members of the community) and 2 days to build it after purchasing the required material. It cost me $ 2500 (the tower and its contents) which is just a shade over 50% of the cost of my previous computer which I now use as the 'client' computer. If you decide to view my video in which I show a picture of my setup at the time, please note that after producing the video, I ceased using the triple screen setup and replaced it with one 27" monitor. There were two main reasons behind that move; first, the vertical resolution on the 22" screens was insufficient (1050 vs 1440) and second, I had difficulty getting my preferred zoom level when in the VC because in most aircraft (there are exceptions of course), the pilot and co-pilot seats can't be adjusted backward which causes the top portion of the seat's back rest to interfere with the view when using three screens (which was all the time unless I was recording video clips).

I'm sure you wanted to know all this! And thanks Ron for your fine work on aircraft repaints. So don't you dare . . . (you know what!)

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your kind comments.

Regards to both of you.

JJ

Your vid is among the best I have ever seen !

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Thank you Gerard for your kind remark. Flightsim to me is not only about virtual flying but also trying my best at sharing information and experience in an interesting and fun way. I enjoyed preparing the video and pleased that you liked it.

Regards,

JJ

I don't own Ezdoc but I'm quite satisfied with the camera features in Opus. Opus has dynamic head movement with taxi, takeoff and landing effects and also aircraft vibration, and can also create turbulent aircraft motion and bump effects via its weather engine. You can add any number of VC, 2D cockpit or external views with smooth transitions from view to view, bind each view to a controller button or key press and assign to one or more aircraft. The view setup is fast and easy. Each view can also optionally have TrackIR or DHM disabled. You can also control camera views with a Gamepad controller, so for example I can hit a key to switch to an external view with TIR disabled and "fly" around the aircraft using my Sony DS3 controller.

Opus DHM effects are fantastic, especially for light aircraft it adds tremendously to the immersion. The developer is also adding Buttkicker control.

One shortcoming of Opus is that it does not support camera views that are separate from the aircraft. You cannot add a tower or spot plane view for example, so for those things you need to revert to FSX cameras or use FSRecorder.

From what I can tell, Ezdoc is the best there is for camera control particularly for making videos. If you have Opus already and you mainly want a good view system for flying I would try its camera features first before getting Ezdoc.

Barry Friedman

EZDOK should have been included within FSX core from day one...if only the ACES team knew. I was nervous at first with EZDOK and thought the UI was uninituitive, but actually its quite easy to use and setup. Don't get too involved in tweaking the DHM effects, its quite extensive and unnecessary imo. I took default effects and tuned them down a little and exported, and its perfect for most aircraft, with maybe a little tweak here or there.

Tried Opus too, but had too many issues with TrackIR over the past year and gave up.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I bought EZDOK and fumbled around for some time (mainly watching you-tube tutorials - the manual might as well not exist) and right after I got it partially working it CTD (FE'd) on me while flying the Flight1 B200.  In the process it became unusable and of course, in that mode you can't get a good uninstall before re-installing so I ended up doing it manually which took forever.  The code is splattered all over. I couldn't get support so I gave up on it and bought Opus. 

Nice people and probably a good set of programs but there was so much wide-ranging instructional verbiage to struggle with to get started that I gave up after several attempts and asked the developer for " an idiot's simple step-by-step example to kick start me on the process. My request was answered with a curt "it's all in the manual". I was afraid I wouldn't live long enough to unlock the mystery!

So I gave up on that program as well and dove into the Camera code and created my own Cameras just the way I wanted them.  Although I've done some programming in another life, creating your own Cameras using the FSX pattern isn't a black art.  EZDOK and Opus are just manipulating the features of the FSX camera functions that are available to everyone.  But there's no doubt the MS crowd could have made the matter a lot easier to manipulate.

Now I'm not recommending this for everyone but it's cheap, satisfying and the learning curve doesn't require wading through volumes of confusing verbiage to learn how.

Seems to me, most of the programmers are damned good but can't or don't write short, concise instruction manuals.   The best exception I've run across is the AivlaSoft EFB manual.

Ken