Sign in to follow this  
Lurk

DX10 glitch with bloom enabled

I'm having this bug I can reproduce when bloom is enabled in DX10.

I'm using DX10fixer, but it was happening before. Whenever I cross cloud altitude, I get these fast flashing black squares in the sky.

As soon as I am above the clouds, the effect disappears. I've seen this happening on the last two full re-installations of FSX Acceleration. I'm using REX clouds (changing cloud res doesn't matter).

This bug completely disappears as soon as I disable bloom in FSX display settings.

Anyone have an idea what might be causing this?

My first thought was it could be the strobe or exterior lighting of the plane you are flying bugging out due to Bloom. I use SweetFX to enable bloom and disable the bloom within FSX, and have not had this problem you describe, and I am using DX10Fixer.

the squares appear right in front of me at approximately half screen height and randomly, flashing very quickly, in front of the panel in vc - or in any view for that matter - when and only when I reach and cross cloud altitude. Then they stop and never show up again.

I too use SweetFX bloom, but native bloom is definitely better, especially after the Fixer.

I have a feeling it's related to how the bloom shader works, maybe even in relation with REX clouds. I'm hoping to find the culprit because DX10 bloom is a subtle yet very nice touch I would like to keep, but this glitch is really quite distracting : (

Hmm I have never seen this specific issue you describe, but as you say it must have something to do with the Bloom filter interacting with ur plane as it transits cloud layers. All I can say is try it with and without native bloom, try lower res. REX clouds, try a diff. plane in case it is something about external lights of the model bugging out with bloom when u transit clouds. Sorry i am as stumped as you are, wish I could help more...

I'm stumped as well. Any of the default planes exhibits this behavior, and I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the planes themselves, rather probably with REX clouds, although, as I've said, changing their resolution does absolutely nothing in this respect.

Only way to fix the problem is to disable native FSX bloom, which is a real pita since it's one of the very reasons it's worth using DX10.

I'm at wit's end, and giving up REX clouds is absolutely not an option.

I'm having this bug I can reproduce when bloom is enabled in DX10.

I'm using DX10fixer, but it was happening before. Whenever I cross cloud altitude, I get these fast flashing black squares in the sky.

As soon as I am above the clouds, the effect disappears. I've seen this happening on the last two full re-installations of FSX Acceleration. I'm using REX clouds (changing cloud res doesn't matter).

This bug completely disappears as soon as I disable bloom in FSX display settings.

Anyone have an idea what might be causing this?

I have exaclty the same issue.

maybe with some help we can narrow it down, I hate to give up DX10 bloom.

Do you use REX clouds? If so it might be fixed by checking their textures. I'm only guessing here...

Whenever I cross cloud altitude, I get these fast flashing black squares in the sky.

I have Bloom enabled with REX Clouds (HD 2048), no black squares in my clouds and I'm running FSGRW with cloud draw distances at 160mi.

EDIT: I don't have SweetFX

What graphics board do you have? Nvidia or ATI ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

really annoynig bug, tried about everything and I'm pretty damn sure it has to do with REX clouds. I'll try flying on a clear sky tonight.

I own ATI. As I said 1.000 times, turning off bloom in the sim solves the problem and it is the only bug I've seen with bloom enabled.

tried about anything tonight to solve this, including messing with shader files. the issue is persistent, I can't seem to get rid of it : (

tried a flight with clear skies last night after deleting FSX Shader folder and reinstalling original, re-installing DX10Fixer libraries, clearing and rebuilding shader cache.

Results ---> clear skies = no flashing black squares

---> clouds = flashing black squares when crossing first cloud layer

I need some expert help on this, I don't want to give up bloom! :-(

Please, Lurk - add your system specs to your profile, so that it appears under you avatar at left, then copy your fsx.cfg somewhere, and rename it as "lurk_fsx.txt", and then attach it to your reply using the "More Reply Options" (bottom-right corner). Lastly - publish your Inspector or RadeonPro settings on a fileshare site, such as PhotoBucket, PostImage.org, MediaFire or a Dropbox somewhere, so that we don't have to keep guessing at some kind of answer. There could be a million things causing this.

Thanks,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

thx Paul J, I've updatedmy profile with relevant info, not using RadeonPro, the glitch appears with or without SweetFX and even on an untouched freshly recreated FSX.cfg.

Hope we can narrow those million things down to a few! :P