Sign in to follow this  
Lurk

DX10 glitch with bloom enabled

I'd suggest you:

1.  Disable Crossfire.

2.  See if you have the problem on a single monitor - 5996 x 1080 is 3 monitors, but not sure how you got 5996?

3.  Make sure you have the latest AMD drivers AND (important) the associated CAP for that driver.

My hunch is something driver related.

Hi, I've been having this problem for the past 4 or 5 driver releases, I'm on the latest betas from AMD (no CAP needed).

5996 is a bezel compensated resolution.

I've just ended an agonizing FSX session where I've tried to solve the problem by disabling a lot of features (AI aircraft, UTX scenery entries, you name it) and changing all sorts of FSX display parameters, but this show-stopping glitch keeps rearing its ugly butt.

I'll try on a single screen and with Crossfire disabled, then I can hopefully get some rest!

thx for your suggestions

OK thanks for the good info - now we can see what's going on. I just looked at your config, Lurk. You have very high expectations, it seems!!  :lol:   

Listen - read this list, and then adjust everything back to the minimums which are listed. Remember - this is only temporary, while we fiddle around, and diagnose. Leave your bloom enabled. Leave only one of your traffic settings at 20 - either AI or GA, airport traffic at 1, and the rest at zero. Rob will figure out your AMD gpu, as I'm an Nvidia guy, maybe Charles will pipe in, too.

At first look at the cfg - I think you're getting those black squares/flashes because you're way overloading your graphics system.

Anyway - have fun - I'll be back here tomorrow morning - it's bedtime here. 

All the best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Rob will figure out your AMD gpu, as I'm an Nvidia guy, maybe Charles will pipe in, too.

I'm on nVidia these days, but I was on AMD a couple years back.  

I'll try on a single screen and with Crossfire disabled, then I can hopefully get some rest!

Basic idea of my suggestion is to get back to the basics and make sure it's working, then start moving up/adding and see what breaks it for you.  Single monitor and Crossfire disabled is part of getting back to the basics ... certainly not a suggestion you can only use 1 monitor, just for diagnostics.

Rob

thanks everyone for the precious input, I've just tried with Crossfire disabled and one monitor only. I've disabled additional add-ons such as freeware alps meshes. Needless to say, the sim REALLY flies! :Big Grin: but guess what, the flashing black squares are ALWAYS there at the same altitude!!! :angry:

Paul J, thanks for the info, I am going to follow your directions and report back tomorrow!

cheers to everyone

but guess what, the flashing black squares are ALWAYS there at the same altitude!

One more idea comes to mind, are you using any 3rd party clouds?  AS2012 or REX or something else?

Also, after I installing any 3rd party product, I always fire up DX10 Controller as it will scan for changes and/or new files that might need to be updated.

And finally, what version of the DX10 Controller are you using?

One more thing to try, delete your Shaders10 folder (it gets regenerated) - C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX

thx Rob, I'm using REX clouds and am pretty convinced there lies the culprit. I tried a flight with clear skies and guess what, the problem disappeared.

I've already done the Shader folder deletion and cache regeneration about a thousand times :P with no success.

I've followed Paul's advice by turning down settings as per instructions, and although it seemed the flashing black squares were reduced in number, I did still see a couple popping out.

For the time being I've simply decided to live without bloom, as it is the only way to completely eliminate the problem.

I'm also investigating my WOAI aircraft textures as it seems a lot of them have missing mipmaps and alpha channels (I'm using ALphaSearcher). Due to their large number (hundreds?) going out there and actually fixing them is a whole different business, so I'll probably procrastinate this for a while! (and I'm not even qute sure how it's done!  :blush:)

thx for your precious help :smile:

What are your cloud settings in REX?  Make sure you have DXT5 Optimized Clouds checked.  I'm using REX also with no issues, my clouds are:

You may also want to use a different texture set, here is what I'm using:

thx again Rob, I do have that option selected and I have already tried random textures, maybe there is an entire bunch of clouds which exhibits this problem with bloom enabled on my system. I just started a flight and soared for a while, bloom disabled: very refreshing to have everything running smooth without those awful squares! I've started the process of converting my WOAI aircraft bmp's that lack mipmaps and will give bloom another try when done. Who knows, maybe some AI aircraft are glitching when rendered through clouds...

Coupla docs here, that will help you add the missing alphas and mips, Lurk.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

thanks for your great advice Paul, I've started the conversion process using Convimx , so if I understand correctly I am converting textures reported by AlphaSearcher as having missing mipmaps into DXT3 extended bitmaps with mips, right? In my last flight I noticed an AI plane I had never seen before, except the props weren't completely transparent. Should I convert the relevant prop texture to 32bit? This is going to be a bit painstaking since I have to go by every WOAI aircraft texture folder, but I have a feeling it might be related to my problem and I'm sure this will make the sim run better anyway.

To tell you the truth I had the tools mentioned in the file you pointed me to installed on my system forever, but I was always way too lazy to even start the procedure,

All I ever did was use the DXTFixer simply because it's a one click business! :blush:

I'll report back to share my findings, thx all for your great support.

:lol: The fight simulator is not about flying, is it! It's all about learning graphic arts technologies!

It never ends!  The prop visibility depends upon the Alpha, so Google it, and make another, or change the one that's supplied - or drag one from another aircraft and rename it. I think. :unsure:

Fun!

wouldn't you know it, spending my free time converting files and I'm a graphic designer in rl! :Whistle:

Lurk,

The REX clouds aren't the culprit, this issue lies elsewhere as something on your system is not playing nice. Also, I would like to point out that the cloud files in REX are properly 'mipped'. The alspha's are intact as well or they wouldn't even show up in sim.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

thx for stopping by timest,

my assumption was based on the mere fact that I didn't get the flashing squares when flying in clear weather, but now I'm more keen to think the glitch might be caused by a large percentage of my WOAI planes not having proper bmp's, reason for which I've been spending hours converting aircraft textures to DXT3 bitmaps with mips using Convimx. The process is painstaking as I have to go by the texture folders one by one, but it was something I had on my to-do list and I think you might agree that those squares appearing from the distance could be caused by faulty AI textures, as some of the WOAI aircraft I'm using in my area (especially GA) date way back to 2006.

I hope to get it all done soon and report my findings. If teh issue is not fixed I'll live without bloom, as everything else is running fine.