Sign in to follow this  
thepitts

Dear X-plane forum users....think Hippo

The recent posting on the X-Plane Forum by a developer from a different platform to inform us about how wonderful their platform is ??!!?? should be viewed as...... a compliment.

They are obviously seeking, consciously or unconsciously, approval from a discerning group of flight simulation hobbyists who enjoy a high fidelity software program designed, maintained and supported by a relatively small group of passionate people.

As far as responses to this particular post and others of its kind...

---the most deadly large animal in Africa (by number of humans killed annually)

---the irony of knowing that after you have been bitten in half you'll be spat out in disgust (its vegetarian)

---its' skin accounts for 25% of its weight!!

---and is thick enough to stop most small arms fire

THINK HIPPO

Bummer, me was found .... :unsure:

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Rv3P-5DhkgQ

No "pun" intended!!! ( My portuguese speaking friends will find yet additional meaning... )

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

This topic doesn't do well with me. To me, the word discerning implies..... I believe I'm more intelligent than you. I think I'm more sophisticated than you. It's a mentality that was being

pushed in the late 90's. At the end of the day, it's just still a simulation. I'll say no more....

It seems that we are indeed, separate camps. Too bad.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

"This topic doesn't do well with me"

--but having P3D developers trolling in other forums does ?

"To me the word discerning implies.."

--discerning--adj: having or showing good judgement (Oxford Concise English Dictionary) there doesn't appear to be any reference/implication to the owner being unique in having the characteristic.

But then when the pint glass is half full people divide neatly into two groups.

Reginald Perrin ...oohh happy days (my mother-in law is enough of a good sport to let me get away with it !!)

It's a forum.  I don't mind a post here about p3d and remember that just a few days ago there was a big post in the fax forum named something like 'I'm and ex plane convert'.

While there was also a bit of 'keep your plane to that forum'  there were also a number of people who said they liked seeing a bit of plane news put in front of them.

Part of the trouble is it is such a big forum that it has sections and people don't like the barriers being crossed on occasion.

On a couple local forums we have a simulation section and anything goes.  Another one of our local forums  had an fax section and it was just changed to all simulators.   It works because the forum doesn't have as much traffic but it also goes to show that we are just simmers and don't have to be in camps.

I like others find the 'walls' a little strange.  With as much traffic as this forum gets it has to have sections, no question there but as a sim enthusiast with around five sims on my machine I just don't have the us/them attitude.

There isn't a "them and us" just a "trolls and us" issue.

It's difficult for me personally to have a "them and us" mentality since I am both "them" and "us" being an enthusiastic user of X-Plane, FSX and military flight sims.

I don't quite see the "barriers" in "such a big forum". If I want the latest gossip about FSX/P3D I just click (and regularly do) the appropriate forum and guess what.... there it is. Difficult, arduous..hardly.