Sign in to follow this  
BrzI

Does Pepar3D work in 64-bit mode ?

I am quite happy with FSX so far....don't think I would switch unless it is a 64-bit application... Does anybody know ?

Thanks

Prepar3D v2.0 is not a 64-bit application. It might be done further down the road but it's a tremendous amount of work and will break all existing add-ons from working.

Since you are happy with FSX so far I'm not sure why you would be looking to see if Prepar3D is a 64 bit application or not. The most obvious benefit would be virtual elimination of OOM's which you don't appear to have issue with. The new DX11 engine in P3D v2.0 seems to be doing a satisfactory job of reducing this issue in the interim, which in its self will be a large benefit to current users with this problem. If OOM errors are virtually a thing of the past, will anyone really be caring at the moment if it's 32 or 64 bit? I don't believe so. We just want performance first and foremost, and it appears v2.0 will be delivering in many ways that which we have wished for of FSX over the years.

Cheers,

Cpt. Thad Wheeler

preview_prepar3dbarcode0.jpg?rev=0

Interesting.  I have a robust FSX setup.  100s of planes, commercial and freeware, 650 layers of scenery and airports and with the usual tweaks. 

I have never had OOMs, not sure what causes it but I hear lots of guys talking about it here.  If this is the only thing I'm going to gain by upgrading to V2, then what would be the point.

I understood that there are some newer features and most likely will get a smooth ride without any micro stutters etc.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

If this is the only thing I'm going to gain by upgrading to V2, then what would be the point.

I understood that there are some newer features and most likely will get a smooth ride without any micro stutters etc.

It's not the only gain, you get volumetric fog, realtime shadows, DX11, HDR, 3D water that moves depending on the weather conditions, no more autogen "popping" and a lot better performance and it also support new hardware. If that is not good reasons for switching then what is?

The reason you haven't had OOM's is probably because your hardware specs doesn't allow you to have high settings in FSX. The day you upgrade your hardware and start pushing the settings higher you will eventually hit the VAS limit ^_^ I had the same view like you before I got better hardware and started getting OOM's...

The reason you haven't had OOM's is probably because your hardware specs doesn't allow you to have high settings in FSX. The day you upgrade your hardware and start pushing the settings higher you will eventually hit the VAS limit ^_^ I had the same view like you before I got better hardware and started getting OOM's...

Look at my specs and explain your reasoning why I have never had an OOM?

Look at my specs and explain your reasoning why I have never had an OOM?

I said it was "probably" as in "most likely" the reason he didn't get OOM's. When maxing settings, pushing the LOD radius and using complex planes and scenery it's more likely that it may happen, maybe you have balanced your settings well and disabling scenery u don't fly over etc etc, I don't know, only talking from my own expirience with OOM's :rolleyes:

I don't get OOM's either because I have balanced the settings so I don't get them, I could have had higher settings and a smooth flight but the VAS limit doesn't allow me too do that in certain areas...

Anyway, If Prepar3dV2 removes the OOM problem it would give "most" of us great benefits...and that in itself is a huge gain...

It's not the only gain, you get volumetric fog, realtime shadows, DX11, HDR, 3D water that moves depending on the weather conditions, no more autogen "popping" and a lot better performance and it also support new hardware. If that is not good reasons for switching then what is?

The reason you haven't had OOM's is probably because your hardware specs doesn't allow you to have high settings in FSX. The day you upgrade your hardware and start pushing the settings higher you will eventually hit the VAS limit ^_^ I had the same view like you before I got better hardware and started getting OOM's...

Yes I can see there are some reasons for switching, and am planning on it, I will have a dual setup first before I stop with FSX.

Not sure what you mean about the high settings...I have everything at max, I run 4096 on textures, I run on LOD=6, I turn down autogen to dense, I have AI traffic for planes trains and automobiles, I have water turned down a notch - don't need it high and I use FSWC for effects and colour, use ENB series.  I don't know what may be the issue but I fly for hours, sometimes just pause the flight and pick it up the next day. I use REX HD clouds and weather.  All FSX display setting for texture etc are set at max.

I almost always have other stuff active on my desktop but then again I have 16gigs of RAM to take care of business.  I just don't know as I run at very high settings. I guess lucky me.

Near CAM3

Are you running any Orbx or FSDT airports near coastal areas Bryan?

I only get OOM's around dense areas along coastlines (known culprits), with FSDT airports, Orbx regions, REX weather if really cloudy, and a demanding aircraft in for good measure. CYVR is a prime example. I've yet to get anything above a Carenado aircraft into there from any outside location without the OOM error occurring the moment CYVR loads in. Your "luck" as you put it may have more to do with where you fly mostly, what you fly, and not having so many complex add-ons running at once. Its just my guess.

Cheers,

Cpt. Thad Wheeler

Not sure what you mean about the high settings...I have everything at max, I run 4096 on textures, I run on LOD=6, I turn down autogen to dense, I have AI traffic for planes trains and automobiles, I have water turned down a notch - don't need it high and I use FSWC for effects and colour, use ENB series.

What plane do you use and what scenery do you fly over and are you using Sparse Grid Supersampling AA? Hmmm, you lucky son of a bi... :P

E,g, when I load up Majestic q400 at La Guardia with Manhatten X scenery, FTX Global and UTX, even with default LOD settings it results in a instant OOM. In that area I can only fly GA planes. The performance is good and I get 30FPS with GA planes but with complex planes I can't even take off...

Another example would be in the Vancouver area, I use Extreme autogen when flying GA all over the world, but in the Vancouver area with Vancouver+V3 scenery and Orbx PNW it results in a OOM after 5 minutes in the flight even though everything runs smooth with constant 30 FPS, I have to lower my autogen settings down to very dense to be able to fly in that area without OOM's

Ha ha ha. Throw in FSTD CYVR and watch the carnage begin!

I agree, Vancouver, Seattle, New York, and even sometime Honolulu and LAX are high culprits to offend. I'm looking so forward to being able to fly again into these regions without castrating my settings to maybe get a successful attempt in V2.0.

Cheers,

Cpt. Thad Wheeler

Ha ha ha. Throw in FSTD CYVR and watch the carnage begin!

:lol: I have tried but for some strange reason CYVR won't install properly on my system, I get only black ground textures :mellow:

Are you running any Orbx or FSDT airports near coastal areas Bryan?

I only get OOM's around dense areas along coastlines (known culprits), with FSDT airports, Orbx regions, REX weather if really cloudy, and a demanding aircraft in for good measure. CYVR is a prime example. I've yet to get anything above a Carenado aircraft into there from any outside location without the OOM error occurring the moment CYVR loads in. Your "luck" as you put it may have more to do with where you fly mostly, what you fly, and not having so many complex add-ons running at once. Its just my guess.

I have almost all of Orbx scenery (you can see my list over at FTX forums).  I have FSDT airports for Hawaii...fly these areas mostly.   I have FSAddons for CYVR coverage.  I must say the Vancouver + with stuff turned on does cause my machine to "slow" to 16 fps so I have to turn back setting in the area of the city only.  The same goes for KSEA area I do drop from my 30fps to 15 in that area so it help if I temporarily shut off AI and drop the autogen to normal.  But I never have any crashes with or without turning down those things.

And perhaps your right I do not fly for long periods in the big city areas, NE corner of US and LA for instance.

Near CAM3

:lol: I have tried but for some strange reason CYVR won't install properly on my system, I get only black ground textures :mellow:

Hmm, odd. Perhaps your VAS memory is maxed out before FSDT CYVR can even fully load up. Perhaps Vancouver +3 is the tipping point as I do not have that package due to problems as they stand. First visual signs I get of running out of VAS is black texture squares appearing on the ground. You should bring this issue up with Umberto on the FSTD forums if it won't install properly. First I would disable the Vancouver + scenery and see what happens, just to eliminate that variable.

Cheers,

Cpt. Thad Wheeler

I have a good rig. Performance is not an issue. OOMs started happening when I tried the PMDG 777 in CYVR. The FPS would still stay high but monitoring VAS usage I hit 3.2 GB very quickly. I could maybe do a takeoff but coming back for an emergency landing would OOM on me. This is not a hardware issue - it is a limitation of the 32-bit environment. Don't get OOMs with the NGX - or any other add-on. Of course, if I have clear weather, it will not happen - but Vancouver is one rainy city....

The only surefire method of eliminating OOMs with the 777/YVR combo for me is to reduce TML to 1024 (even 2048 will OOM on me).

This is why I will not be buying P3D - at least not for now...

You could always splash out $10, if the pricing ends up being similar to 1.4, to get a one month subscription and just see how it goes.

We really dont know how bad the coding and freeing of memory was in FSX and how much of an improvment p3d v2 could be on that in a 32 bit environment.   

64 bits is good when you need a lot of memory but if for all intents and purposes it behaves like a 64 bit app in a 32 bit environment due to much better internal memory management then it could be a moot point.