Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

If you had to pick one scenery package............

If you had to pick one scenery or airport package, that showed all the things XPX was capable of; One that could stand toe to toe with anything in the FSX world (no photoscenary!) What would you recommend?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Actually the default Seattle scenery is actually (for me) quite impressive.

I also like the airports by TruScenery, they're pretty good. 

However, this http://asn-xp.aerosoft.com/?page_id=4554 when it's released, will really step up the bar in terms of X-Plane scenery

Actually the default Seattle scenery is actually (for me) quite impressive.

That's the problem: I have been wandering from site to site, and a lot of the payware (Scenery) I am bumping into is not even up to FSX freeware standard. Its the textures that keep letting them down. Seattle is indeed the most impressive airport I can find so far..... and even it is a bit bland. There just has to be better.

I was hoping the old hands could point the way.

For instance: There's an ad in this forum showing some great looking airports. "Hey! Kool!" says I, and clicks eagerly.

FSX only.

THUMP! (That's my hopes crashing)  :lol:

I bumped into some nice free city sceneries here: http://theosdavis.com/xpfiles/downloads_v10.html

But the weird part is that the paid scenery i'm finding  is not noticeably better.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

T

But the weird part is that the paid scenery i'm finding  is not noticeably better.

I agree. That is the main problem in my opinion too. While in FSX they even added for smaller regional airpoirts some special landmarks most of the payware Airports didn't offer any suitable surroundings. There are exceptions like KSFO ( http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/x-planestore/Detail?no=331 ) and KLAS ( http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/x-planestore/Detail?no=483 ) but he doesn't use high quality textures for his airport buildings.

TruScenery on the other hand makes beautiful airports but they don't do anythoing for the surrounding area.

And Aerosoft first had to learn that a conversion of an existing FSX Airport doesn't  necessarily result in a good X-Plane airport.

I use these city sceneries too, as an example in Washington DC  together with Tropical Sims KDCA.

I bumped into some nice free city sceneries here: http://theosdavis.co...nloads_v10.html

Ted's scenery packages are very nice, I have them all.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I don't think there really is one package that shows off X-Plane, at least I've yet to find one. The best scenery I've seen is the free stuff, i.e. g2xpl and OSM combined.

All of the aerosoft airport's are simply ports of their FSX ones, and just as hungry on frames. The only ones IMO that show off the lighting and features of X-Plane are the truscenery airports http://www.truscenery.com/. They even provide scenery for the surrounding areas.

I don't think there really is one package that shows off X-Plane, at least I've yet to find one. The best scenery I've seen is the free stuff, i.e. g2xpl and OSM combined.

All of the aerosoft airport's are simply ports of their FSX ones, and just as hungry on frames. The only ones IMO that show off the lighting and features of X-Plane are the truscenery airports http://www.truscenery.com/. They even provide scenery for the surrounding areas.

Ugh.......

Yes, the truescenery stuff is nice. Thank you.

But there needs to be more choices out there for this sim.

Devons rig

Ted's scenery packages are very nice, I have them all.

Ted's scenery is basically the de facto default custom scenery for X-Plane. It's the custom scenery you use when have no other choice.

But there needs to be more choices out there for this sim.

I think by lack of responses in here, you have your answer :-). IMO, There really isn't anything that can match the quality of OrbX airports IMO (not yet anyway). 

http://www.beti-x.com/CZSTstewart.html maybe (though, not release and only screenshots)? At least it proves, that the engine itself is capable of a lot ... but its content that is needed.

Yah, I saw that earlier, but the area is not of that much interest to me. It did answer a question percolating in my mind about whether there was some limitation of the engine that made for such gray, bland airports, though.

Its a nice scenery that has Orbx-style written all over it. But its hard to believe there is so little else of that quality out there considering the amount of time thats passed since the XPX release. Aerosoft has a few nice looking airports too, but they don't really do much US scenery.........

The lack of stuff like that just has to be affecting purchasing decisions on the sim.  :unsure:

Heck maybe LR could subsidize some major airports to get the ball rolling....... faster.

Devons rig

N/M

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I know photoscenery was not meant to be used in this thread, but during the last week I have had some of the best simulation moments with the NEO A320 and Lisbon, with ZL17 orto-photo + SimHeaven's OSM + Autogen, and UrbanMAXX Extreme.

An approach to LPPT, rw 03, starting at Espicehel VORTAC, along the coast line, then over Almada, the Tagus river and then Lisbon, and the airport with scenery converted from an old project for fs9, provides me an excellent environment for this sort of flight around places I know.

I should have already started to populate some portuguese airports I know, but I'm being very very lazy...

Around Sintra, where I  had for quite a while one of the most used glider bases of operation, the photoscenery, the autogen, the OSM, and the excllent mesh also give me a unique sensation of being there, and one I can't really find in FSX ( because I use it only with default scenery ).

Then, when we approach Sintra, and the wind is blowing from the North / NorthWest, our soaring flights can become even more rewarding. There is yet no add-on for FSX ( including CumulusX! ) that can give me the same type of ridge lift. Very close to the real thing!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...