Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

We need an add-on for this

Does it bother anyone when you fly to a particular airport only to find out it doesn't match up with the navdata and charts at all? A certain runway is missing, or ILS equipment is missing... etc. Just a few examples, Adu Dhabi Intl and KSEA both miss a runway. Kabul Intl misses an ILS frequency, and there are many more. Also on a lot of airports the ILS frequencies are misaligned. I rarely encounter this in the US and in Europe, but in Asia/Middle East/Africa there are loads of these airports where ILS frequencies are just useless because they are so much off. 

This left me wondering, why hasn't there been any add-on that updates the airports to their current states? New runways, new ILS frequencies, changed runway numbers, new terminals, new taxiways...

[quote name="Arjen Vandervelde" post="2851945" timestamp="

This left me wondering, why hasn't there been any add-on that updates the airports to their current states? New runways, new ILS frequencies, changed runway numbers, new terminals, new taxiways...

there certainly are... as im sure you will soon find out from those with more accurate info than me!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

These updates are usually known as "AFX files" and can be found by the hundreds right here in the file library.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

These updates are usually known as "AFX files" and can be found by the hundreds right here in the file library.

I know that exists, and that is what I sometimes use to update airport sceneries, but you can't know beforehand which airports are outdated and you only find out once you land there. I was just referring to some add-on that does a big overhaul of all the airports all at once.

Nope it doesn't bother me.  I just remind myself that this is a game and that it's almost an impossible task to keep up with the planets thousands of airports and airstrips and their changes.

However, the only way I know to do this is if one in particular is outdated, then check the libraries for possible freeware updates that someone else might have done, OR grab the appropriate tools and try updating it yourself and then offering it up as freeware for others to enjoy, OR look around to see if there is an updated payware version that might fix the issues that is of concern.

Sorry but no easy solution on this one.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I know that exists, and that is what I sometimes use to update airport sceneries, but you can't know beforehand which airports are outdated and you only find out once you land there. I was just referring to some add-on that does a big overhaul of all the airports all at once.

That'd take years to complete...

It's just easier to add "check for up-to-date AFX files for departure and destination airport" to the preflight preparations. You won't fly to more than 5% of the world's airports anyway, so why bother for an all-in-one solution?

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Hey Arjen!

" you can't know beforehand which airports are outdated "  Sure you can - just go there, check it out and edit your docs as needed!

It all depends what we want in the sim. If one is flying a "realistic" route in a "realistic" manner, then it would behoove that pilot to ensure he or she has all of the information pertinent to the route alongside him/her - and that includes all of the detail, charts, frequencies, etc., available of that termination airport AND also that of the alternate airport. You would never start an IFR flight in the real world without all of this at hand.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

That'd take years to complete...

It's just easier to add "check for up-to-date AFX files for departure and destination airport" to the preflight preparations. You won't fly to more than 5% of the world's airports anyway, so why bother for an all-in-one solution?

Exactly. One of the items on my "before starting FSX checklist" is "AFCAD update - checked", and this has been working well.

Exactly. One of the items on my "before starting FSX checklist" is "AFCAD update - checked", and this has been working well.

Although I'm familiar with installing freeware scenery, I never really looked into AFCAD and what it exactly is. Is it some kind of program that checks whether your scenery is up to date, or is it a program that easily allows you to update sceneries? How do you judge whether your airport scenery is up to date before starting FSX (assuming you have the default scenery)?

Hey Arjen!

" you can't know beforehand which airports are outdated " Sure you can - just go there, check it out and edit your docs as needed!

I was going to say the same thing. If you're going to fly to an airport you're not sure is up to date, just load the airport with the trike and check it before you go. It should only take a few minutes to check it out. Simple solution really.

Or just load the airport up in ADEX and check it there.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

AFCAD was a FS9 utility for sediting airport bgls. now we have this can do quiet a bit with it, and alos if you look here, you will be suprised what you can find. And if you download and install this you can check before you even open your flight sim. There are over 20000 airports in fsx and every one need to be fixed individually it just wont be done.

..and if some enterprising fellow were to do all of them and charged only $15 a copy - there would be complaints from all quarters.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

It would be indeed nice if there were to be a program that would automatically update airports, in the same fashion as there are tools that update navigational data in flight management computers.  But since there isn't one, we're left with two options:  1. wonder why, and 2. what to instead.  

I'm sure there are several reasons why we don't have such program, regardless of the time it would take to produce.  One could be that this airport information is part of the airport scenery.  It would be simpler if the data such as frequencies, gate numbers, runway direction, ILS alignment, were to be stored separate from scenery files.  Perhaps if Microsoft, or someone else, were still actively supporting the product, it would be more likely the data would be closer to current.  What else?

Others have already posted what could be done instead.  Best would be to do a quick review of the departure and destination airport before the flight.  With weather data, you can estimate departure and arrival runways, and check that it's all there.  What if it isn't?  I would check if someone already has taken the time to update the airport, download the update, check for currency again, and go fly.  Lastly, I would learn how to update the information myself using available freeware products already mentioned.  This takes time to learn and to do, but it's all proportional with your desire to have currency on your airports.  

Have fun.

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Although I'm familiar with installing freeware scenery, I never really looked into AFCAD and what it exactly is. Is it some kind of program that checks whether your scenery is up to date, or is it a program that easily allows you to update sceneries? How do you judge whether your airport scenery is up to date before starting FSX (assuming you have the default scenery)?

I mean the AFCAD files. It's a small file which contains some basic info for an airport, like runways, taxiways, navigation frequencies, etc. It's not as complicated as scenery packages, but I use it just to make sure my airport is up-to-date. In AVSIM library there is a category called AFCAD files. 

Consider this a heads up for one field, Columbus KCMH just moved its south runway by 700 feet and changed the ILS. Haven't seen a current afcad yet, either.

Anthony Cacciatore