Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Nielsen

WOW! The New 777x to have folding Wings!

Here's a couple of pics from their gallery: 

I'd add a link to the announcement but pasting URLs in forums is near impossible.  Another reason why Facebook has become so popular.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

It was announced a while ago, but nice to see some pictures of what it will look like. 150-odd orders on launch day is not bad either.

I dont see the point of adding that engineering for just abot 1meter of wingfolding. Whats it going to help?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I dont see the point of adding that engineering for just abot 1meter of wingfolding. Whats it going to help?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

The distance is much longer then 1 Meter (It is 6.3 Meters):

Unfolded: 233 ft 3 in (71.1 m)

Folded: 212 ft 8 in (64.8 m)

the new wing is even longer because it is based on the 787, so that means a narrower and longer wing. When folded the wing is one inch longer then the 777-200LR so it folds to meet that specification.

Airports designed gates based on the old specs, so either Airports spend billions of dollars to upgrade existing infrastructure to fit the new wingspan, or Boeing can make a folding wing......The folding wing costs much less.

Boeing 777-200LR Wingspan = 212 ft 7 in (64.8 m)

Boeing 777-8X 9X folded Wingspan = 212 ft 8 in (64.8 m)

Also a meter plus a meter plus a meter when you add up all those gates around the world will save hundreds of kilometers, and Airports are the most expensive real estate in every city. :lol:

Matthew Kane

Will it be able to land on aircraft carriers?  The Navy will be pleased!..  :lol:  :lol:

James (jaydor)

"Let me X-Plane where I fly in 2020"

It was announced a while ago, but nice to see some pictures of what it will look like. 150-odd orders on launch day is not bad either.

To clarify, it was announced a while ago, but officially launched a couple of days ago at the Dubai Airshow. There have been 259 orders (Lufthansa: 34, Etihad Airways: 25, Qatar Airways: 50, Emirates: 150).

Brandon Filer

The distance is much longer then 1 Meter (It is 6.3 Meters):

Unfolded: 233 ft 3 in (71.1 m)

Folded: 212 ft 8 in (64.8 m)

the new wing is even longer because it is based on the 787, so that means a narrower and longer wing. When folded the wing is one inch longer then the 777-200LR so it folds to meet that specification.

Airports designed gates based on the old specs, so either Airports spend billions of dollars to upgrade existing infrastructure to fit the new wingspan, or Boeing can make a folding wing......The folding wing costs much less.

Boeing 777-200LR Wingspan = 212 ft 7 in (64.8 m)

Boeing 777-8X 9X folded Wingspan = 212 ft 8 in (64.8 m)

Also a meter plus a meter plus a meter when you add up all those gates around the world will save hundreds of kilometers, and Airports are the most expensive real estate in every city. :lol:

Ah thanks for clearing it up. 

The pictures are so missleading. As its hard to tell the size in the small scale pics.

It really is a huge plane. =)

I can't wait to see if the AI modelers will add an animation to fold the wingtips, it's bad enough seeing so many AI's wingtips touch in the sim!

And I see Emirates is continuing on their bid to take over the world of commercial aviation.  They will now have 140 A380s!   Can you imagine???  It seems money really does grow on trees over in Dubai, or at least is extracted from the ground!  Good thing the U.S is now a net exporter of oil, take that OPEC.

Can you hear the pilot?

Ah Ladies and gentlemen, I am afraid there is a slight malfunction with the folding wings, so bear with us while we get things sorted out.

We should be able to dock at our assigned gate shortly.

Very long haul trip, and that would be the last thing you would want to hear lol.

I will certainly pick on the reps today at the show, and see what they say (Ah we have that covered, the chances of that occurring are one in a .....).

Waleed N

Very cool -- haven't seen this before today.  Thanks for sharing the pics

Boeing offered folding wingtips for the original 777 too, however, no airline went for it. The idea was to allow the 777 to fit into gates designed for smaller airliners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#Airframe_and_systems

That's right, I knew I heard that this was offered on the T7 before, and was surprised it made it onto the X.  This would be like Boeing offering the 737-600 with winglets as a "max" variant.

I can't wait to see if the AI modelers will add an animation to fold the wingtips, it's bad enough seeing so many AI's wingtips touch in the sim!

And I see Emirates is continuing on their bid to take over the world of commercial aviation. They will now have 140 A380s! Can you imagine??? It seems money really does grow on trees over in Dubai, or at least is extracted from the ground! Good thing the U.S is now a net exporter of oil, take that OPEC.

At least some of the A380s will probably be used to replace the earliest planes they received (apparently they're aiming at a fleet size of 120, but I don't have a direct source for that). Their little shopping spree was certainly impressive though.

And I see Emirates is continuing on their bid to take over the world of commercial aviation.  They will now have 140 A380s!   Can you imagine???  It seems money really does grow on trees over in Dubai, or at least is extracted from the ground!  Good thing the U.S is now a net exporter of oil, take that OPEC.

Oil production accounts for less than 4% of Dubai's GDP and has been so for years, so your "childish" take that comment is useless in this case.

They simply have a sound plan for the airline, and it works, plain and simple.

John-Alan, you are absolutely right on their plans for the A380.

Waleed N