Sign in to follow this  
ActiveSky

News about the update?

I figured they would be applying hot fixes left and right with the new ops center to deliver patches. 

Careful guys, there are some villagers in here that will stick you with their pitch forks if you dare speak negatively about do no wrong PMDG.

Ahahaha this made my lunch break at work!

Seriously, they should have at least comunicated something, at least say we are still testing. I started hating the "will be out when it is ready" :P

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

We live in a new world, in which it would seem that we have to know such information as release dates, deadlines and so on and be constantly updated. I can understand those hating the "it'kll be out when it's ready" answers, but "we are still working it" and so forth will not get it out the door any faster. No news is often good news.

Whenever any update is to be released, you will hear about it here soon enough. Is it not better to sit back and relax, enjoy life, fly something else maybe, in the knowledge that the much anticipated update is in the pipeline? As we know, tentative release dates mean little around FS. There are few projects that actually release to market on the envisaged date...

Life...

A

It could be worse... is anyone else here playing Battlefield 4? That has been one of the worst game releases I've ever experienced. Great game, terrible QA. 

I'm honestly loving rehashing the same debate every single time there's something pending a release.  Same topic, same arguments, same theories, same opinions.

Honestly, in the end, the only opinion that matters is the one of the group making the decision.  If you don't like it, vote with your wallet.

At least the developer has a reputation for actually releasing patches, unlike others who just move on to the next project, or disappear entirely.

Oh, sorry...was I pointing a pitchfork at anyone?  My mother never taught me any manners.  I'll go put my torch out, too.

Kyle Rodgers

We live in a new world, in which it would seem that we have to know such information as release dates, deadlines and so on and be constantly updated. I can understand those hating the "it'kll be out when it's ready" answers, but "we are still working it" and so forth will not get it out the door any faster. No news is often good news.

Whenever any update is to be released, you will hear about it here soon enough. Is it not better to sit back and relax, enjoy life, fly something else maybe, in the knowledge that the much anticipated update is in the pipeline? As we know, tentative release dates mean little around FS. There are few projects that actually release to market on the envisaged date...

Life...

A

Sorry but I don't 100% agree with this. I can quite understand the "It'll be ready when it ready" before the release, PMDG has long stayed away from release dates for the reason of missing deadlines and nobody has the right to moan as they are not customers until they pay there money.

I think that what some people get annoyed about is that they have paid my money for a product that supposed to be working. This product was tested by the development team and then on general beta testing, in fact delayed because PMDG wanted to make sure everything worked. The beta team was happy showing videos on youtube when the rest of us had to wait but some major bugs fell through the net. PMDG then set up a post stating all the bugs and letting people know which one's they have fixed, however they have not delivered a hotfix for any of them.

The question is, if you bought a car, drove it down the street and found out that they had not put brakes in it, then they said "sorry but we know how to fix them but we will do them when we do them", then you waited 2 months, what would you do?

(...)  but some major bugs fell through the net. (...)

The question is, if you bought a car, drove it down the street and found out that they had not put brakes in it, then they said "sorry but we know how to fix them but we will do them when we do them", then you waited 2 months, what would you do?

There's the rub:

The T7 doesn't have any show-stopping issues (like in "nothing prevents you from flying it and having fun with it").

Bugs and flaws - yes, but nothing 'severe'.

I have not had a single issue with the 777 since release day. Everything works as expected. Maybe because I try to fly it as real as possible and not try to break it pushing buttons and enter menus your not supposed to. How many software devs make planes that fly 100% from day one?

Wow some people are really angry. If anyone thinks thinks the impatience for the 777 patch is bad here, then go over to the Pro ATC/X forums and you will find out what I mean. Is it just me or is there a lot of people in the flight sim community that are: whiners, impatient, and feel entitled?

Just like PMG's products, the 777 is very advanced as in real life. Boeing has a team of thousands to build it over the course of 5 years and then 1 year of "beta testing" after the first flight before United got there plane. That being said, how many bugs do you think the real life programers had with the systems which makes the plane so highly automated? That being said, how many people in PMDG are programing experts? With PMDG's precision, their planes are almost like the real thing so go figure on the time it take to make some software fixes. I bet a lot of the impatient ones have zero experience in programing and have no idea how many lines of code it takes for software to do relatively simple commands. Not only that, sometimes the code has to be reread to find the problem. I heard that NASA had a space probe that crashed on whatever moon or planet simply because of one character mistake in the code ( I think it was a back slash that was missing).

It is true that there are some inferior products and scam artists in the flightsim community but that is what reviewers are there for. When a product that interests me comes out, I don't buy it right away. A wise person would wait until someone else buys it or someone reviews it first. I always check for the negative reviews to see how bad it can be and if I can live with it until some fix comes out ( hmmm.. radar contact).

Remember that not all flightsim companies are full time because of real world obligations like work and family in most cases. Some investments are good are some are bad, the choice is always yours to make, so don't whine because it doesn't pan out the way you want it or as fast as you want it.

Good day

There's the rub:

The T7 doesn't have any show-stopping issues (like in "nothing prevents you from flying it and having fun with it").

Bugs and flaws - yes, but nothing 'severe'.

So what your saying is that if you pay your money for a new product, you should expect things not to be perfect. Let me put it this way, you buy your new car and the bumper is missing. Do you want the bumper or do you say "oh well, it doesn't matter cause I can still drive it". I don't think anybody minds that there are bugs and flaws, just that an update or at least the suggestion that an update is on the cards would be nice. Going back the car example, if you took the car and drove for two months and heard nothing from the dealer then you would start getting hot and bothered. If somebody said "We'll fix it when we fix it" then you would be taking your complaint further. We all know that the 777 is a complicated piece of software, but a simple message about an update would be nice.

Is it just me or is there a lot of people in the flight sim community that are: whiners, impatient, and feel entitled?

Not just you.  I feel the same way.

So what your saying is that if you pay your money for a new product, you should expect things not to be perfect. Let me put it this way, you buy your new car and the bumper is missing. Do you want the bumper or do you say "oh well, it doesn't matter cause I can still drive it". I don't think anybody minds that there are bugs and flaws, just that an update or at least the suggestion that an update is on the cards would be nice. Going back the car example, if you took the car and drove for two months and heard nothing from the dealer then you would start getting hot and bothered. If somebody said "We'll fix it when we fix it" then you would be taking your complaint further. We all know that the 777 is a complicated piece of software, but a simple message about an update would be nice.

That car example really isn't the fairest of comparisons.  A missing bumper is quite an obvious oversight.  I don't think any of the bugs were very obvious.  Rather, most of them are relatively minor.  Using your car example, I'd say more of them are minor cosmetic issues.  At max, I'd say there's an issue with the cruise control (comparing that to the FBW issues).

Additionally, I don't think I expect a perfect first release with software.  Ever.  It's pretty well known that early adopters are going to shoulder the brunt of the "teething" phase of releases.  Additionally, using your car example again, it's well known that the first years of car generations tend to have the most issues.  Why?  Those new generations are clean-sheet designs.  How long do those fixes take?  About a year, when they release the next model year (within the generation, of course).  Want the fix?  Buy the new car, or pay to have it installed (unless it's part of a recall, of course).  You want an E36 BMW?  Good.  Better get it after 97 (the seventh year into the generation) to avoid a whole host of issues.

Either way, the argument has been hashed out a hundred times by now, and I think it comes down to the fact that the history shows the get complaints if they say something or if they don't say anything.  Not saying anything takes less time away from the task, though, so why bother?

I wouldn't call it the best PR, but it's not like they have a dedicated PR team to handle communications.

Kyle Rodgers