Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

Prepar3D v2.0 Dynamic Shadows

Well, not so fast.  ^_^ He only mentioned editing out burned in shadows in the photo real parts of their airport add ons…! And even then he seems to let it up to the developers if they want to do it. I asked if he thought about doing the same for Global but he didn't answer that question.

We have seen some pictures and videos regarding the new shadows in P3D 2.0.

But what is with the Terrain Tessillation?

Have we seen any pictures or videos about an improvements on the terrain or detailed waives?

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

Terrain tessellation isn't going to make all that big of a difference, the mesh isn't that angular as it is, so I doubt you will tell the difference 99% of the time.

Cheers, Andy.

GPU tesselated terrain looks just the same like in FSX. Well, maybe there will be some slight differences because of different algorithms used, but you won't see any visual improvements here. It's done strictly for the performance gain.

I believe I've seen water demonstration somewhere...

Mike Krawczyk

A2A Simulations

GPU tesselated terrain looks just the same like in FSX. Well, maybe there will be some slight differences because of different algorithms used, but you won't see any visual improvements here. It's done strictly for the performance gain.

I believe I've seen water demonstration somewhere...

Yes there now is a video showing the wave effects.

But I hope that with terrain tesselation on the GPU to see a larger LOD and better (crisp) mountains in the distance.

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker

JV from Orbx said they are thinking about removing the shadows that are burned into their airport sceneries because the new shadows are great and hardly cost fps… (it will be an option to use those textures or not btw). I did read other reports though. Anyway, I also read there are a lot of options for the shadows: it's not just on or off.

Of course they should. Having dynamic lighting with baked lighting in textures is not going to look good.

Keep in mind, that the dynamic shadows under every tree and autogen building can be costly, especially at denser autogen settings in more populated areas. It's not that obvious choice.

Mike Krawczyk

A2A Simulations

Keep in mind, that the dynamic shadows under every tree and autogen building can be costly, especially at denser autogen settings in more populated areas. It's not that obvious choice.

Which is why that there have been several reports that you can control which objects get shadows and which dont. its not just 'on' or 'off'

Not so sure about the impact on fps: JV from Orbx stated: "... P3D2 with its vastly improved shadow system that has little to no FPS impact..." (http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/68089-orbx-products-and-p3d-20-compatibility/page-1).

If there was "little to no impact" then there would be no need for so many tuning options just for said shadows, just think about that for a second and as always take everything that is said at Orbx with a large pinch of salt.

Cheers, Andy.

Well .... There are also tuning options for the cloud density and other things that may be also a case of the personal likings (not only the impact on fps) ...

But, yes, I assume that there will be some impact. And I assume that in two years the dedicated users will have GPUs (like two "GTX 990" in SLI) that can handle everything with a smile.

What's the point of posting a link to a private forum that returns Sorry, we couldn't find that!

Comes up just fine for me? Are you a member of the forum, Gerry?

If people can get the PMDG NGX/777 working in this version 2.0 I will go to that for sure. 

Eric 

Comes up just fine for me? Are you a member of the forum, Gerry?

Probably not. Neither am I for that matter, so I see the same thing that he has reported...

...which is, nothing...  :blink:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator