Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

Landing light wig-wag?

Is this an option for the 777X?

It is not an option on the PMDG 777LR/F, no.

Kyle Rodgers

What did the landing lights do?

Not to sure what you mean by Wig Wag?

Flash back and forth, like strobes inside the same area as the landing light. If you watch the video you will notice it. It's a safety feature so other pilots can see you easier.

Flash.

Second 1: Left Landing light on, Right Landing Light off

Second 3: Left Landing Light off, Right Landing Light on

Second 5: Left Landing light on, Right Landing Light off

Second 7: Left Landing Light off, Right Landing Light on

Second 9: Left Landing light on, Right Landing Light off

Second 11: Left Landing Light off, Right Landing Light on

etc.

Apparently easier to see in daylight hours, helps the VFR traffic stay away, and apparently scares birds too to an extent.

Lots of Australian aircraft have them fitted as a safety feature as they go into lots of CTAF's, mixing 737's up with C172's and the like without any Air Traffic Control assistance. 

They call the 'separation method' "See and Avoid"

What did the landing lights do?

Not to sure what you mean by Wig Wag?

I think he's talking about Pulselite, where the landing lights flash to better alert the birds in the area. Qantas has their 737s fitted with them and PMDG was considering adding this feature to their NGX when I asked them about it a few years ago. (They probably forgot about it now)

What you're seeing on the video in the opening post is not Pulselite, but simply distortions. As far as I know, there are no freighters equipped with Pulselite or the likes.

What you're seeing on the video in the opening post is not Pulselite, but simply distortions. As far as I know, there are no freighters equipped with Pulselite or the likes.

I'm sure there are some freighters equipped with them, though probably not 777's. 

Certainly they are a common feature on various 737's around the world, and there's plenty of 737 Classics or 737-200's converted into Freighters operating into some fairly remote airstrips in the likes of Africa, Asia etc.

I am not aware of any on large heavy (non military at least) aircraft like 777's 747's A380's etc.

If it wasn't obvious, since this thread is about the 777, I was only talking about the 777f, no other freighters.

The 737 pulsating lights look eerie similar to the UFO that chased my car in Texas and abducted me.

Since we are on lights, I was always confused (after my abduction) of when to turn on and off runway lights and landing lights. 

From what I gather in the manual and videos:

Landing lights on below 10,000 ft ?  day or night??

Runway lights on when on runway? again day or night??

Someone please confirm.

Paul Gugliotta

That question is very much operator-specific. At our "joint", things work like this:

Strobes on when entering the runway. Off when exiting the runway, on in between.

Taxi lights on when moving or intending to move. Off at 10000. Back on when rolling off the active runway.

RWY Turnoff on at captain's discretion during taxi. On when turning on the runway. Off at 10000. On at 10000 again.

Landing lights on when takeoff clearance received. Off at 10000. On when landing clearance received.

Not sure about the actual recommendations during the daytime, but our pilots are STRONGLY recommended to follow these rules at all times.

I think you're seeing an abnormal effect actually... because if you notice, every light in the video including the runway lights are flashing or pusling to some degree, heat could produce this... or something wrong with his camera.  Notice the nav lights are also "strobing"  lol!

No 777 that I know of operates with any sort of wig-wag system, including LH Cargo's 777s.

Joseph Chamberlain

FAA ADX

In the beginning I thought it just just the usual 'flicker' a-c powered lights do when seen from a distance. the closer it got, thought, I wasn't that sure anymore. But taking by the flickering form the runway lights that were closer to the camera, I think it's just distortions..

Jefferson Santos
sbpa.png

That question is very much operator-specific. At our "joint", things work like this:

Strobes on when entering the runway. Off when exiting the runway, on in between.

Taxi lights on when moving or intending to move. Off at 10000. Back on when rolling off the active runway.

RWY Turnoff on at captain's discretion during taxi. On when turning on the runway. Off at 10000. On at 10000 again.

Landing lights on when takeoff clearance received. Off at 10000. On when landing clearance received.

Not sure about the actual recommendations during the daytime, but our pilots are STRONGLY recommended to follow these rules at all times.

Why are taxi lights on when gear is retracted?