Sign in to follow this  
burm

Anyone Just Tired Of This

For several years now, FSX has been a set-it-and-forget-it product once installed.

I don't feel it is, not when adding a lot of new addons, I always need small adjustement to the settings when e.g adding a new scenery that takes that little extra of performance away to make it run smooth with that new shiny scenery. Another example is something I struggle with now after I switched weather engine from Opus to FSGRW is the ugly vis/fog layer issue. Everything was perfect with Opus then I switched and those vis/fog layers came in and ruined the immersion.

After seing the new fog in Prepar3dv2 it was the final nail in the coffin for FSX on my system, haven't touched FSX since and won't be flying again until I get Prepar3dv2 on my system and get a fresh new beginning. Can hardly wait to burn my FSX discs :dance:

When I first installed FSX on my pentium 75 yes it ran and so long as I blinked for a long time between frames it was fine :) I wish I could go back in time and find out how it ran perfectly for some back in the day?

With each new PC it has got better, and it now runs... I'm touching wood at this point. I've spent more hours tweaking it and the PC over the years, and have enjoyed it. I've also enjoyed flying it more, when its behaved itself. It is a love hate thing and I for sure will keep the disks because, I can't bring myself to throw them away. It's good to be reminded of the pain every now and then.

P3D v2.0 will probably have its own idiosyncrasies but for me its a step in the right direction, forwards... and not stuck in a time warp. I prefer to boldly go where... You know the rest I'm sure :)

Nah, I love it!

I'm surprised you have time to actually fly, Dave - almost 2,000 posts in less than 8 months! :lol:

To the OP, I'm with you mate. I've more or less knocked FS on the head. Not only because of the frustrations you highlight, but also because after twelve years I'm bored stiff with it. I used to waste many a happy hour happily tweaking my system, and doing a bit of flying. Ditching most of the payware and running a very simple set up helped things a lot, but try as I might I just can't get the enthusiasm going anymore for flying - or tweaking - a desk.

I'd rather spend my limited time on other, less solitary, activities.

Thanks for the memories MSFS B)

Ian

You need an i7 for sure, I bought an i5 like a dummy and it just ain't fast enough. It's ok outside of large cities or away from fancy-nancy Super-Mega-Giant-Portland International, but some people are lucky with computers, some are not. I've had to install my OS 4 times in the past 3 months due to HW changes and viruses.

FSX is awesome, I never was into Flight Sim much before the scenery started getting Photo-Real, and I love Orbx as well. I do love flying in RL but no pilot's license and plus it's real expensive :)

30 cm PhotoReal w/ autogen is where it's at, but we don't have much of that. As a programmer, I'm working on my first scenery package and still learning, I'm going to release SLC and vicinity sampled from 25cm data, color corrected, HD contrast enhanced, and processed by 5+ filtering techniques. We'll see how it goes. The end-goal is to add auto-gen so we have more PR 30cm w/ auto-gen.

I think I got a good idea, but we'll see how the end product looks and if I can bring some of your 5.0ghz i7's to their knees (that's the idea).

Im, kinda with you on this Paul(topic starter Paul) and I will probably join your "burn FSX disc party" once I get settled with Prepar3dV2. No other PC program in history has had me swearing and frustrated me as much as FSX :blink: . Having that said, FSX, when things go smooth it have given me some of the greatest expiriences I ever had behind my computer and I've had a lot of joy using it. Guess I have a "love/hate" relationship with this software :wub:  :t0103: , but when I finally can remove it I will also enjoy the pleasure of burning it and pis# on the fire afterwards. ^_^

Thank god the FSX era is coming to an end :Party: for me.....

FS2000 was my shoot it burn it sim, FSX don't use it, so I can't complain about it. lol

I've never had problems with my FSX ever - no OOM, no crashes etc. at least, not until I installed the PMDG 777, and that crashes every time I use it now (and as I type, I also just figured why it's crashing, so scratch that). 

Some people seem to experience some crazy issues and I don't see P3D v2 fixing it, but I'll humbly sit and wait to be proved wrong.

If I viewed FSX as just another game, like COD, I'd be rather unforgiving of all the crashes and such.   Maybe it's because I have now figured out how everything works, but I kind of enjoyed the trial and error of figuring out why this program crashes, or getting input from the helpful folks here, as you learn so much about computer software and hardware, and the interdependence shared between the two.    I can proudly say that anytime I have run into a "game ending" issue with FSX, I have always managed to figure out a solution. 

I only once had to reinstall FSX from scratch a few years back, as I had exhausted all attempts to undo some mysterious issue that caused FSX to crash 5 seconds into start up: I installed some mod that promised to prevent AI aircraft from disappearing if they remained stationary on a taxiway for too long, like 15 minutes or something.  I later found out that the mod was for FS9 only and users had warned that it would cause irreparable harm to FSX installations.   So I added that experience to my mental list of things to avoid, and with all my experience now from diagnosing past crashes and other annoyances, such as the screen turning a solid color because of a bad GPU, to random reboots from a overloaded PSU, to start up crashes due to a corrupted logbook file, I feel a sense of accomplishment when I fix any of the myriad issues that FSX throws my way.  Knock on wood, I have a very stable FSX setup now for the past 3 or so years, as I have learned how temperamental this baby is and I treat her with due care and respect, which is all you can do with such old and inefficient code and over demanding payware addons.

I still use it now and then, but have started investing in X-Plane instead. X-Plane has its fair share or problems, but it runs much smoother on my system, and very rarely CTDs.

The last product I bought for FSX was the C172 from A2A. I'm not going to buy anything else for it.  It's difficult and I'm tempted to, e.g. I want to buy FranceVFR's Nord Pas De Calais, but I always end up disappointed with performance. Blurries are the worst problem for me.

I'm not too excited by P3D v2.0 either. It's still not 64bit, and doesn't run natively on a Mac. This of course might all change, and I might end up getting it if the feedback from others is good.

My F-Sim hobby experience has been ever-changing, so in my case, I am not bored.

For example, my new "thing" now is that I have just joined for the 1st time one of the well established Virtual Airline. I am facing new challenges, learning new material, installing the apps used by the VA, and getting in touch with a whole new bunch of people.

A few years ago it was joining IVAO and learning to fly with live ATC's, then it was installing FSX + add-ons in 2 PC's over the home network, then it was the upgrade to a whole new global scenery, and so on...this is by no means a static hobby. Not to mention learning new A/C's

Alvaro Escorcia

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

I've just stopped using payware and now everything works perfectly......

......and looks crap.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

It's definately an an addon issue for me. My 'stock FSX' works perfectly and runs like a pussycat.  Gradually, as the addons mount up, the more the problems arise. I have a huge amount of payware, and i guess its impossible for every single one to either not play nicely with its friends, or just the shear volume of them.