Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Kane

Tatarstan Airlines Flight 363 Security Camera Video

You can see a very steep angle of attack just before impact:

Matthew Kane

HOLY SMOKE!

I suppose that straight down vertical descent could be considered "very steep..." :Shocked: 

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yes, I think once your in the realm of a vertical drop like that, you're beyond any angle of attack.

So sad - I find something very painful about watching the moment that a lot of people lost their life.   I personally feel I am taking some dignity away from those people and their loved ones;  once the moment of their death becomes 'public footage'.    That's just my own feelings, and I'm not judging anyone.

Angle of attack? That a nose dive. I noticed the debris field was just tiny pieces.

What a shame. My wishes to those who have lost loved ones in this crash.

Man, there are cameras everywhere nowadays.   Seeing this graphic footage reminds me of the dashcam video of that National 747-400 BCF that stalled on takeoff in Iraq a few months ago.   It's a very disturbing thing to see, my condolences to the families of the victims.

Not going to watch, stomach doesn't like stuff like this.

Any word of a cause?

There are so many things that could have contributed to this you couldn't make out what could have happened from that video. The experts are going to have to take a year or more to put that puzzle together.

I agree it is difficult to watch as well. Air New Zealand uses the 737-300 which I do get to fly on quite often. I trust those airplanes so it is unfortunate to see a similar model aircraft crash like that.

Matthew Kane

Is that enough to stall a 737? I mean he wasn't very heavy with only 50 PAX and was about to land so fuel weight shouldn't have been alot 

It could have been spatial disorientation, some of the things reported so far would indicate that, during the time of go around visibility wasn't that good. 

Maybe the pilots accidentally let the nose rise too high up and then started to compensate for it by pushing the nose back down & got disorientated and pushed the plane into dive. I see this accident to have some similarities with Afriqiyah Airways flight 771 where pilots got disorientated after go around in bad visibility and did more or less that. 

Yes, I think once your in the realm of a vertical drop like that, you're beyond any angle of attack.

It's perfectly possible to be in a vertical drop with an angle of attack of 0. AoA is just the angle between the chord line of your wing and the incoming airstream velocity vector after all.

Not going to watch, stomach doesn't like stuff like this.

Any word of a cause?

The investigation is still ongoing, so it's a bit early for that. However there have been some preliminary statements by the Interstate Aviation Comission that suggest the pilots may have overcompensated for the strong pitch up.

FScamp, on 21 Nov 2013 - 12:44 AM, said:

It could have been spatial disorientation, some of the things reported so far would indicate that, during the time of go around visibility wasn't that good.

Maybe the pilots accidentally let the nose rise too high up and then started to compensate for it by pushing the nose back down & got disorientated and pushed the plane into dive. I see this accident to have some similarities with Afriqiyah Airways flight 771 where pilots got disorientated after go around in bad visibility and did more or less that.

In low visibility why not use the autopilot? Something else is at play here, something in the line of what happened to Continental Express Flight 2574:

'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeWHvVVsGH4'

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2