Sign in to follow this  
mchavezv

FSX Addons/Scenery Overvalued?

Hello Pilots

First of all I want to say that I love this game and also I know that I'm touching feelings and very delicate fibers

But sometimes I feel that some Scenerys, Addons, inclusive Aircraft are Overvalued, the prices in my opinion are very high I know that a lot of people will say that I'm saying stupid things but for example (I Hate the comparisons) and Airport, the price for Some airports are 25 euro (for example) but is just and Airport, and Airport running in a platform almost 10 years old (2006) but the detail is that we need a high end computer with high speed processor and a lot of memory and so on to run this airport

For example with that price you can buy BATMAN game (batman was released in 25 Oct) the price is 47 USD ( 34 Euro) So for 10 euro more you will receive a amazing game with amazing graphics without performance issues if you have a good computer, but the fact is that you are paying almost the same price for a totally different product. I know I know and believed me I know  that both are totally different products but my comparison is how much you pay and what are you receiving. In one side is just and airport and the other side is a complete game with amazing graphics and history and performance and so on

My impression is that I feel sometimes that things around FSX are overvalued and in my case the money isn't a problem because I can pay that, my problem is that I feel that a lot of things around FSX are overvalued. I have REX and a love it and the price is very reasonable because you are receiving textures and weather engine, I have PMDG products and all are amazing the detail etc

I want to know if some of you have the same opinion or what is your opinion in this?

But anyway I just wanted to share my point of view

Happy Landings :D And please don't feel offended :blush:

but my comparison is how much you pay and what are you receiving.

Well, that is a personal decision that each and every person has to make.  There are opportunity costs for everything.  If you don't think something is worth your time, effort or money than why would you do it or purchase it?

Just as your example, I wouldn't purchase the Batman game because I don't like Batman nor do I think I would enjoy it enough to pay $50 USD for it.  However, I purchased Battlefield 4 for the PC because I think I will enjoy it enough to justify paying for it.  But there always is the question of: what else could I have done with that money?

People make opportunistic cost decision every day - whether it be a $1 soda, purchasing a $50,000 car, or getting on an airplane (the cost being time and money versus driving).  Over or under-valued is all relative.

I agree that when you simply compare addon prices today to games out there they do seem rather high. However I think it's important to also see the other side of the coin too. 

What we should remember is the difference in size of the market for FS products and mainstream games. You see, a mainstream game can sell hundreds of thousands or even millions of copies. FS addons on the other hand sell thousands or maybe tens of thousands of copies at best. 

So in the end the FS developer gets a lot less money / working hour than the developer of some popular mainstream game does. That's why the prices for FS products are higher, to compensate for a lot smaller market size. 

I think for big majority of the payware developers out there even with the current prices FS development doesn't provide large enough income to cover living costs, for most it's just a way to earn a bit of extra.

Game.............. what 'game' ?

:lol:

Hi Thanks for your point of view

However, I purchased Battlefield 4 for the PC because I think I will enjoy it enough to justify paying for it. 

I mentioned Batman because it's a Game that belong to a actual games, is the same case for Battlefield 4 or any actual game like NBA2k14 or Arma 3 or Assasin's Creed

Offcourse I know that this is a point of view and all of us will have different, but some times I feel that

Rules I live by:

1)  Never stay out too late.  Nothing good happens after midnight.

2)  Never talk about money, sex, politics, religion, and new kitchens installations.

3)  Never call Flight Simulation a "game"

Offcourse I know that this is a point of view and all of us will have different, but some times I feel that

Since you like to bring the subject up and share your opinion, might I ask that you list products, their current price and what you think they really are worth? If we can identify all the offending developers, who are selling their overpriced addons we might be able to exert pressure on them to cut prices by 50% or maybe 75%? Heaven knows, with my limited income every dollar saved is a BIG thing.

What we should remember is the difference in size of the market for FS products and mainstream games. You see, a mainstream game can sell hundreds of thousands or even millions of copies. FS addons on the other hand sell thousands or maybe tens of thousands of copies at best. . 

Very Very good point and I not thought of that, offcourse the other side has a different view

Rules I live by:

1)  Never stay out too late.  Nothing good happens after midnight.

2)  Never talk about money, sex, politics, religion, and new kitchens installations.

3)  Never call Flight Simulation a "game"

LLLLOOOLLLL

ok ok Simulator !!! :D

Since you like to bring the subject up and share your opinion, might I ask that you list products, their current price and what you think they really are worth? If we can identify all the offending developers, who are selling their overpriced addons we might be able to exert pressure on them to cut prices by 50% or maybe 75%? Heaven knows, with my limited income every dollar saved is a BIG thing.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or you are talking serious, if I offended you sorry and that is the reason that I never mention a specific addon or external software, I just mentioned REX and PMDG that are software that I bought and I feel happy with them 

Being Honest I would never mention a specific addon I respect all developers and his work

Sorry again

The issue is we make up a small community, and don't have the volume in sales, that would generate lower prices. Developers have to make up their expenses, and make a some profit as well..  

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest JustanotherPilot

Most 'high priced' addons are, at some stage  offered by outlets as a sale item or at a reduced price,  - just a matter of waiting for that  time.   I live in hope that maybe one day, the PMDG B777 will be offered at a sale price.

The issue is we make up a small community, and don't have the volume in sales, that would generate lower prices. Developers have to make up their expenses, and make a some profit as well..  

Yea you are right, supply and demand :D

Most 'high priced' addons are, at some stage  offered by outlets as a sale item or at a reduced price,  - just a matter of waiting for that  time.   I live in hope that maybe one day, the PMDG B777 will be offered at a sale price.

I have the same hope in MD-11 lol B)

Don't sweat it. Thousands of good freeware addons in the AVSIM Library!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

To be honest, it's way easier for me to spend 50 dollars on an addon for FSX than to spend the same 50 dollars on another game. I usually pick those I am interested after some time, when they go on sale for the first time (i.e. usually right before a newer version comes out) - and the past proved that this strategy seems the right one overall: For example, I bought BF2 some 2 years ago for maybe 15 bucks back, when BF3 was hyped, and I played that game for a while, but I haven't even touched it in the past six months or so - so if I had spent the money on BF3 back then, I would definitely think of it as wasted. On the other hand, I am into "serious" flight simming more than 4 years now (and admittedly spent loads of money on it), but I still use FSX, despite of its age, and I still enjoy new addons - simply because they set new limits and show what is possible even with a rather aged platform.

I believe that it is only fair to pay the money the developers charge, because after all 1) most developers (at least all I regard "trustworthy" - i.e. I don't really look for opinions on their new releases before buying) have a good feeling of what is a fair price for their work and 2) they are the reason that FSX is what it is: a very much alive simulator!

Furthermore, I don't believe that addons are that expensive - measured with our Western standards, I am very well aware of the fact that these addons can be extremely expensive for people who live in other countries. Just compare those 30 dollars for an addon to, say, an evening in your local pub: A couple of beers, maybe something to eat, and you've easily spent the same money - and I have to say, I tend to regret those nights the next day :rolleyes:, but hardly ever regret a purchase for FSX.

One last note, because I just saw what simmerhead posted: I have not yet found any other game (read: "not the real thing") that has such great community resources - be it these (or other) forums, or be it the countless freeware developers - so in fact you don't really need to spend a lot of money on addons, just conduct a little search on the internet, adn usually you can find what you want as freeware (some of it is excellent, others might only have the effect to teach you to value the work of professional developers)

Yea you are right, supply and demand :D

There is a tipping point though, when demand is high enough to the point, that a higher price may be still acceptable to the consumer. Or put another way "Whatever the market will bear!!"

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d