Sign in to follow this  
mchavezv

FSX Addons/Scenery Overvalued?

The thing is, simming is a long term hobby. That airport scenery is going to enhance your sim for as long as you fly your sim, which could be years. You could fly a dozen different approaches into that airport in a variety of weather and traffic conditions that make the experience sort of different every time. As high quality of a game it is, Batman is something you play for a few weeks (or shorter), beat it, and that's about it.

Guest meshman

My impression is that I feel sometimes that things around FSX are overvalued and in my case the money isn't a problem because I can pay that, my problem is that I feel that a lot of things around FSX are overvalued. I have REX and a love it and the price is very reasonable because you are receiving textures and weather engine, I have PMDG products and all are amazing the detail etc

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or you are talking serious, if I offended you sorry and that is the reason that I never mention a specific addon or external software, I just mentioned REX and PMDG that are software that I bought and I feel happy with them 

Being Honest I would never mention a specific addon I respect all developers and his work

My comments were of a serious nature. You claim addons are overpriced and I asked for some examples. But you say you don't want to list any, even though you go and praise two product lines. Now I'm just confused! You say the prices are too high, but that you have the money to buy them, so you go ahead and do that. Are you in politics, by any chance? See, if I go into the store and see tomatoes at $5.00 per pound I am going to complain, under my breath. But there's no way I'm going to buy any, whether I have the money or not.

It gets down to what one believes in and acts accordingly, or if one wants to complain about something being too expensive and then turn right around and buys the goods. Do as I say, not as I do?

And yes, I do believe that a good share of the addons are overpriced. But by the same token, price a product where you think it should sell for and the critics will come along and immediately question the quality or completeness of the product. So being "orange", you are damned if you do or damned if you don't...

2) they are the reason that FSX is what it is: a very much alive simulator!

I'm totally agree with you !! FSX still existing because all around complements give the FSX live, but not all of them worth it (In my opinion)

Batman is something you play for a few weeks (or shorter), beat it, and that's about it.

Totally Agree with you, but also you can play in different levels and try other things for example I use Steam and there is a Achievements system that you can earn, so may be the game take's other focus

My comments were of a serious nature. You claim addons are overpriced and I asked for some examples. But you say you don't want to list any, even though you go and praise two product lines. Now I'm just confused! You say the prices are too high, but that you have the money to buy them, so you go ahead and do that. Are you in politics, by any chance? See, if I go into the store and see tomatoes at $5.00 per pound I am going to complain, under my breath. But there's no way I'm going to buy any, whether I have the money or not.

Hi :)

First of all I never praise Rex or PMDG, in fact 777 it's expensive but worth it because I learned much with this aircraft and that is a valuable

For other hand I don't want to mention which (for me) addons are overvalued because I will be in the middle of all opinions and that is not my point, imagine I have -3 dislikes in my main post and I just gave my opinion Imagine if I start saying brands and company's and addons... I will be banned from all avsim community and that is not my intention, my intention was know what the other people thinks and what were their arguments

Now I'm just confused! You say the prices are too high, but that you have the money to buy them, so you go ahead and do that.

This is simple, because has the money doesn't means "buy everything that pass in front of you"

It gets down to what one believes in and acts accordingly, or if one wants to complain about something being too expensive and then turn right around and buys the goods. Do as I say, not as I do?

Is important mention that not all of them are overvalued for example Duke B60 V2 is really amazing but I'm not thinking to buy it or say that is expensive and next day buy it. In my opinion B60 has the correct price, if you see the level of detail is amazing and for me worht it. Other addons just no and has the same price 20, 25, 28 euro ..

And yes, I do believe that a good share of the addons are overpriced. But by the same token, price a product where you think it should sell for and the critics will come along and immediately question the quality or completeness of the product. So being "orange", you are damned if you do or damned if you don't...

Totally Agree with you.

And not, fortunately I'm not in the politics stuff, in fact I hate that because in my country the politics are the worst thing ever :D

It will always be an issue with software, since the cost to sell the n+1 copy is very small, and you can always claim the charge is too much.  There's plenty of freeware out there so there is always the possibility to have a pretty enjoyable sim experience with no outlay after the initial purchase (and I got a copy of FSX Gold from MS store a couple Christmas ago for $15).

scott s.

Hello Pilots

First of all I want to say that I love this game and also I know that I'm touching feelings and very delicate fibers

But sometimes I feel that some Scenerys, Addons, inclusive Aircraft are Overvalued, the prices in my opinion are very high I know that a lot of people will say that I'm saying stupid things but for example (I Hate the comparisons) and Airport, the price for Some airports are 25 euro (for example) but is just and Airport, and Airport running in a platform almost 10 years old (2006) but the detail is that we need a high end computer with high speed processor and a lot of memory and so on to run this airport

For example with that price you can buy BATMAN game (batman was released in 25 Oct) the price is 47 USD ( 34 Euro) So for 10 euro more you will receive a amazing game with amazing graphics without performance issues if you have a good computer, but the fact is that you are paying almost the same price for a totally different product. I know I know and believed me I know  that both are totally different products but my comparison is how much you pay and what are you receiving. In one side is just and airport and the other side is a complete game with amazing graphics and history and performance and so on

My impression is that I feel sometimes that things around FSX are overvalued and in my case the money isn't a problem because I can pay that, my problem is that I feel that a lot of things around FSX are overvalued. I have REX and a love it and the price is very reasonable because you are receiving textures and weather engine, I have PMDG products and all are amazing the detail etc

I want to know if some of you have the same opinion or what is your opinion in this?

But anyway I just wanted to share my point of view

Happy Landings :D And please don't feel offended :blush:

Here are my thoughts:

1) Developers need to make a living and they can charge what they want. If the developer relies on someone else to sell their add-ons expect to pay more because the seller makes a commission.

2) Buy only what you want, need, and can afford.

Bonus: Enjoy flight simming and stop complaining. :P

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

The sad thing is that even 25€ for an airport is way too little if you consider manhours invested into its development.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

You're comparing video games that sell hundreds of thousands, sometimes a million copies.

Versus small flight sim addons that would be lucky to sell a few thousand.

Not to mention games like Batman are developed by huge companies while flight sim addons are not.

This argument always comes up, usually when a new addon just gets released and people don't understand why it's priced the way it is.

I think add ons are only over priced if they don't function correctly (i.e. Bugs!)

That can be very upsetting. 

Its not the developers fault that we want to purchase a TON of add ons for our flight sim.

Most of them are more then reasonable and if they were priced lower, development would dry up for new

products.  

b.

Yes - and No. Yes, it can seem rather rediculous to spend that much money on what is really just an enhancement to something you already own. Is there really a need to buy a new JFK when one come stock with the simulator? Is there really a need to buy a new Cessna 172 when one comes stock with the simulator? Is there really a need to buy {random aircraft} when you can fly in something of a similar class for free - and often enough at similar quality? Is there a need to purchase {random airport} when most airports exist in FS already - and many of the most important ones have custom buildings and VFR points in the surrounding areas already enhanced above the rest for free or included default?

The answer to all those questions is, essentially and necessarily, NO. There is NO really GOOD reason to add anything to the sim, freeware or payware unless you've bought it for use in ACTUAL simulation or ACTUAL training. Which is something a vanishingly small number of us, even in our frankly tiny community, can say. (That includes most of the airliner junkies who won't make a flight unless they've got every possible addon installed and every possible procedure learned by heart, in real time with real weather and failures enabled. For all the pain you put yourself through, in actual fact, the only person you're doing this for is yourself - for most of you, even the most persnickety of you all, aren't training or being trained for anything related to what you simulate.)

Further, it can be argued that the worth of a product should be determined by its utility. I apply that to FS addons thusly: a product is only worth the time you spend flying it or flying over it or to it or from it. For you ORBX pilots, that means your favorite region was probably worth to you all that you spent on it. For the airliner crowd, the PMDG 777 is likely worth it as well. But if I, a bush-oriented pilot flying in the USA and western Europe, bought, say, the PMDG 777 and Thailands Suvarnabhumi airport, I'd have wasted my money. I'm not going to use them. I consider all the money I've spent on products like Ultimate Terrain well-spent, since I use it every time I use the sim. I consider the money I spent on A2As FW-190 back when it was new for FS2004 a total waste - Despite its obvious quality and the time they spent on preparing it, I never really flew it more than to take a look. It appealed to me a good deal less in fact than I thought it did.

But NO. They are NOT over-valued. We are hobbiests. These products were prepared by people like us - people who cared and were willing in many cases to take a loss for the sake of their own amusement. If that were not so, we would have no freeware and no affordable payware either, really. It is hard work designing any addon of any type in FS - I know. I've dabbled in all sorts for my own amusement - and never produced more than aborted failures. Those that have entered the payware market do it at their peril. Recall that as of last year, even that juggernaut called ORBX hadn't made a profit yet? The margins are slim to none - and even the most productive designers frequently have a day job. And we expect them to work miracles, quickly and cheaply - and then put up with our whining! Perhaps, if nothing else, we should consider the cost of a payware product a whiners tax.

Regardless, we buy them. We might complain about the price, but we buy them. And for some of us, who use the products that are produced, they are even underpriced. (Goodness, I would have paid hundreds to AntiCyclone for Active Camera in FS9 if I'd known how much I loved it and could not fly without it! As it was, I begruded the $20 they did charge - sending the money in ill temper. I regret that.)

I think add ons are only over priced if they don't function correctly (i.e. Bugs!)

I agree with you to a certain extent: Sure, bugs are always annoying, but it's not always that easy to find all the possible bugs until you release the software to the public. Of course, developers should 1) only release stuff after thorough testing (i.e. after they made sure that no major obvious bugs are still present) and 2) not only promise but also work on updates and bugfixes (and they need to be open for constructive critisism at least a few weeks after they released a "stable" product). And if they don't, they should at least let the buyer know that and give a big discount for selling a WIP.

I've had experiences with both kinds of developers - and guess which are the ones I will think at least twice before I ever touch one of their products again...

And here's another thought on the topic of "flight simming being an expensive hobby": It can be, of course, but compare it to something like model trains - you will most likely come nowhere near the expenses you have with model trains - and as long as we can afford it and have a reasonable amount of time to actually spend on the respective hobby, that should be fine.

My impression is that I feel sometimes that things around FSX are overvalued

I see these types of comments A LOT in AVSIM and other forums ... but unless you know how much time and money went into producing a product and know how many sales need to happen to break even (ignoring profit for the moment), then how would you know it's value?

For example, an airport ...

1.  To make the airport represent the real world one, you first must obtain images of the airport, many of them and in some case get permission to use those images in a retail product, ultimately blueprints would be nice so you can have accurate scale - this costs money and time.

2.  Now you have to make all the objects for the airport (from a light fixture to a terminal building), usually accomplished in some 3D software (3DS, Maya, Blender, C4D, etc. etc.) - these objects are made from primitives (square, circle, cylinder, pyramid, or draw out in 2D and extruded and adjusted from there) and there is not magical canned object (if you want it to be as real as it gets).

3.  Then you have to make or get textures either using image texture libraries (which may or may not exist in the 3D software)

4.  After spending many hours making 1000's of creating airport objects and structures then you have to optimize them

5.  Then you go thru the process of getting the objects converted into FSX usable format

6.  Then you have to define the taxi-ways, jetways, etc. etc. for use with FSX

7.  Once you have all that squared away, then you have to start testing them in FSX to see how they look/work/perform and often going back to step 2 to re-work things that didn't workout so well in FSX

8.  Once you have a product, you have to then sell it and publish and part of that sales goes to the publisher housing your product (protect it with activation keys, etc. etc.)

I've probably skipped over many many steps for making an Airport, but we're looking at 1000+ hours of work, so let say the product is sold at $30 and the developer gets $20 from that.  If they sell a 1000 copies the make $20,000, then they're working for $20/hr (assuming zero product overhead costs which is rarely the case).  In other words, their financial rewards aren't much better than if they worked min wage at MacDonalds.

Personally, it scares me away from wanting to develop anything for the FS community (in FSX, P3D, or XP) because I see so many threads here and in other places that have the same repeated theme "it's too expensive", "not worth it", "I can get it for free" -- from my perspective, do I really want to spend any time and effort and invest in such a "hostile" environment?  So far, my answer has been NO!  I'm waiting to see what develops with P3D V2.0.

So I think what I'm trying to say here is, try doing a product yourself before determining it's "value".  I also think it will give people perspective when they steal products for torrents/pirateBay on just how much work they've taken for free ... because how would that same person feel if they were put to work for 1000 hours and then not paid?

Rob.

FS Addons produces pretty good products. You're not going to get OOMs from them, they're easy on the frame rates and they do Canadian airports. I've got several and I have no complaints. As to the prices I think they are very fair.

Dave