Sign in to follow this  
Mazo

P3D V2.0 update is now on the Prepar3D website!

Would I get sued for buying the academic license, even when I'm not a student? My economy sure is at student level these days :P and Im kind of a student, learning using avsim as my teacher and doing self studying :lol:

Coming from Germany: what is a K-12 student? I would use P3D for training/simulation to accompany my real world PPL flying, that means I'm in the professional license category I guess?

Just learned from wiki:

k-12 stands for "kindergarten" age up to 12 years. So the academic version is for "school children" (during and after school) and early degree students (undergraduate).

EDIT: K-12 means 12th grade, which equals the age of 17 to 19 years.

An undergraduate student (in the US) is any post-secondary (finished with high school) student in the process of earning an associates or a bachelors degree. Those pursuing a masters degree or doctorate are considered graduate students (called post-grads).

This means that most simmers here will have to get the Professional License. It's really VERY SIMPLE.

Everyone who is trying to find a way to get the Academic license anyway, is fooling him/herself and trying to ease one's conscience but you know you what you have to do.

Take note that the Undergraduate Student entry has to be read like this:

Undergraduate Student Training, Undergraduate Student Instruction, Undergraduate Student Simulation and Undergraduate Student Learnng. The 'Undergraduate Student' part doesn't only go for Training. You can't simply highlight the last three words and say this qualifies you for the Academic license.

Seeing how much time I've spend on FSX and how much money I spend on addons, 200 bucks isn't too much. (And seeing how much addons cost for my other hobby, making music, 200 bucks is a steal.) Of course 200 bucks IS a lof of money... So if you can't afford it, stick with FSX.

An undergraduate student (in the US) is any post-secondary (finished with high school) student in the process of earning an associates or a bachelors degree. Those pursuing a masters degree or doctorate are considered graduate students (called post-grads).

This means that most simmers here will have to get the Professional License. It's really VERY SIMPLE.

Not me. I'm starting my Bachelor in something. Now what to take. Hmmm... let me see..... Hope I finish. Wish me luck.

http://www.athabascau.ca/programs/undergraduate.php

Hope it's cheap to enroll cause right about now, I'm yearning for some learning!

C.

So this means I qualify for the Academic Licence.  :smile:

Prepar3D v2 requires a DirectX11 fully compatible video card. If there is not a DirectX11 video card, Prepar3D v2 will not run.

Ouch

~~~ Original comment removed, didn't know about the sensitivity to avsim, apologies ~~~

PS: It's a shame it's not available for Linux :(

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

You are right.

So I must correctly say: I go for "learning" and "simulation" under the Pro License.

What is indeed a bit misleading is the enumeration "Instruction, Simulation, Learning" preceded by "K-12/Undergraduate Student Training". This could imply that "Training" is for "K-12/Undergraduate Students" and "Instruction, Simulation, Learning" is for other users.

People who are serious about FS (most of us here I believe) in general can call everything we do "training",

You answered your own question. This was LM's answer too sometime ago on their forum. Everyone can use P3D for training, simulation, learning so everyone can buy the Professional license. For other licenses you have to qualify (although they leave that up to you).

Here we go again...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Here we go again...

Yes, I know. ^_^ But because LM just published this for 2.0 I thought it's okay to talk about it. But only for a short while. I have said everything I wanted to say about it and I think it's pretty clear so I will stop posting about it again. ^_^

EDIT

And it's useless to talk about this anyway as the post below this one proves: people will do whatever they want to do and read things simply as they want to read them... :rolleyes: I could and should have known better LOL

C'mon guys, now you're asking what license to buy??? Serious??? 

Buy the 60$ license and get over it, that's what I'll buy!!! And yes, I will be using it like FSX and FS9, for simulation and learning, I never consider FSX and FS9 a game!!!!

Regards, Albert Miu
                                                            CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.6Ghz GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 8GB OC Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI Hero RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866mhz 
                                               PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 Case: Corsair VENGEANCE C70 Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Monitor: BENQ 1920x1080 Windows: 10 x64 Professional

X-Plane 11 Group:     Facebook

They talk about all these usage for "Training" and not personal entertainment use, but do they define what they consider as "Training"?  Where do we draw the line?

People who are serious about FS (most of us here I believe) in general can call everything we do "training", even VFR flights around scenic areas, it's part of "recovery training" you could call.  But to people outside us "playing" FS is just seeing us "gaming" and for leisure use only.

So are there clear cut definitions to what LM considers training?

PS: It's a shame it's not available for Linux :(

That's why AVSIM don't want us to discuss P3D EULA/license stuff: It brings up some very uncomfortable questions ...

Maybe I'm not seeing something right, but with everyone abusing the Academic license, I won't be surprised if they just raise the price and drop it. I am also surprised to see so many people being openly dishonest. I would hope LM could join with what Adobe, Microsoft, and others do by requiring a validated .edu email to prove you are an academic, undergraduate student. 

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

C'mon guys, now you're asking what license to buy??? Serious??? 

Buy the 60$ license and get over it, that's what I'll buy!!! And yes, I will be using it like FSX and FS9, for simulation and learning, I never consider FSX and FS9 a game!!!!

I am not enrolled as an undergraduate student (I gradated from my university in 2009), so I do not qualify for the academic license,  This is NOT about P3D being a simulator and NOT a game . . . it is about actually be an enrolled undergraduate (or k-12) student, and the fact that LM is being nice enough to give students a price break!

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE