Sign in to follow this  
Wood4591

Virtual airline -British airlines

Hi

I have been using flight simulator for many years and decided to join BA virtual airline, this month. I applied via their website using my real name ( not English name ). Few weeks after, I received a message saying my application was rejected. Few days after, I reapplied using English name , that was the only thing I changed. Few days after, I received a message saying that my application was accepted and will go through their test.

This is a real case of discrimination and racism. This is supposed to be " just a game"....?..?.

Anyway, I feel sorry for them, still prejudice and low minded people amongst them.

Regards

CZ

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "Letters to the Editorial Staff of AVSIM" to "VA World!". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

I apologize for my complete ignorance but what is the difference between your "real" name and "English" name?

He did not say HIS English name....

Hi

I have been using flight simulator for many years and decided to join BA virtual airline, this month. I applied via their website using my real name ( not English name ). Few weeks after, I received a message saying my application was rejected. Few days after, I reapplied using English name , that was the only thing I changed. Few days after, I received a message saying that my application was accepted and will go through their test.

This is a real case of discrimination and racism. This is supposed to be " just a game"....?..?.

Anyway, I feel sorry for them, still prejudice and low minded people amongst them.

Regards

CZ

if this really happenned, that's a shame !

Was a reason given for the rejection?

I've browsed the virtual BA site not too long ago.  I seem to remember it stating something about an applications waiting list. I thought it odd, as I'd never seen that on a VA page before.

Here's a friendlier Irish VA you might like to take a look at: http://www.i-emeraldair.net/ .

Is your non English name in Latin type letters? The same type of letters as the English alphabet or are they different symbols?

Might have something to do with it

Lee

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Being white and British, if it's racism it's a disgrace.

However, there are a number of virtual airlines that operate as snooty closed shops behind incomprehensible entry requirements, irrespective of race, colour or creed.  I've been rejected by several! 

Remember what the great Groucho Marx said: "I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members"

ngxu_banner.png

CZ you probably got a lucky break. They seem to think they are the Real british airways ;) I was with them for 7 years. You have to push a button every 60 mins like you are cast member from Lost ;) Imagine doing an ultra longhaul with them! not even the real airline expect flight crew to be at the controls for 10+ hours!

Plenty of good VA's out there without crazy restrictions.

Rob Prest

Hi

Thanks for the all support. Sorry for posting previously in the wrong forum

I was just trying to denounce BA virtual prejudice and discrimination.

I have African name ( not  common English Christian name ), I don't know if that make sense.

Anyway, I wouldn't join any airline that accept people based on race, nationality,gender or anything else that show discrimination or racism.

Thanks for all the posts.

You seem to be jumping to conclusions that the reason they refused you is racism.

It's possible but virtual airlines also refuse people because they restrict their member numbers, because they insist on VATSIM membership or similar to "prove" identity, because they don't allow you to fly for other VA's, because you want to transfer hours in from another VA or because you don't have sufficient hours experience or presumably because they want only members they think have the necessary commitment to fly frequently for their airline.  Any number of things in fact.....

Virtual BA's entrance criteria are:

To qualify for membership to British Airways Virtual the pilot is required to meet the following minimum criteria.

• The pilot must be in possession of Flight Simulator 2004 or FSX.
  • The pilot must be registered with the IVAO or VATSIM Online Organization.
  • The pilot must be over the age of 16.
  • The ability to fly for British Airways Virtual once every 30 days. (See Pilot Inactivity Policy)
  • The pilot must submit their real identity. ( No nicknames or callsigns are permitted )
  • The ability to show professionalism within the organization and when conducting Online Operations.
  • Members of other versions of Virtual Airlines that model British Airways will not be accepted.
  • A pilot WILL be required to sit an entrance examination. (See Examination System)
  • As English is the international language of the aviation industry, we require applicants to harbour a reasonable level of written and spoken English.

Online Network Registration

• There is no formal obligation to fly using the online network, however we do require you to register with the IVAO or VATSIM network.
  • If you have not yet registered with IVAO or VATSIM, please go to IVAO or VATSIM respectively.
  • Please make sure you enter your correct network ID on the application form.
  • Applications submitted with an incorrect network ID will be rejected.

Other Important information

• British Airways Virtual has a member limit of 1250 pilots.
  • If this number is reached and you have applied, you will be held on a waiting list.
  • The number of current applicants waiting for entry is updated daily on the front page of the website. Please be patient with this process.
  • While you are waiting on the list please this is an excellent opportunity to familiarize yourself with our Operations.
  • When you are accepted you will be ready to fly without looking at our procedures. This will save you considerable time and effort.
  • Some of our services on the website are not accessible by non members but these items are fully documented in our Operations Manual.
  • Once your application is approved you will receive your BAW ID number along with the latest Operations Manual.
  • If you have any queries regarding Applications in the meantime please contact our HR Department.

Now if you ask me they do sound a bit up themselves and I'm not sure I'd want to join, but are you sure you complied with all that?  Are you sure they weren't at 1,250 when you first applied?

Calling someone racist is a serious matter....... 

PS of the 42 people listed on their Management Team page, I see, at the risk of appearing racist myself, 8 who don't immediately appear to have traditionally British names. One out of 3 "Honorary Members", one certainly doesn't look British at first glance.   Only 580 of 1,229 current members are actually British.

Given that I guess most of us fly for airlines we have some connection with, geographic or otherwise, those doesn't seem bad ratios.  

ngxu_banner.png

Mulgrave, as a collective they are definitely not racist, members are from all parts of the world. In general a very nice bunch of people, parts of management up themselves but never a sign of racism. You most definitely got rejected for something other then your race.

One last thing, I'm not white I am mixed race, it bloody annoys me when I see people playing the race card all the time.

• Upvote 1

Rob Prest

Well said Rob.    Whilst I do believe the VA in question suffers from an inflated sense of self important, I really don't believe the action would have been due to your name, or an act of racism.

There are many people in BA Virtual with non Anglo names.  

How boring would a VA be, full of stuffy white Brits?! :lol: ........ I know it would put me off!

I'd be interested to see how the rejection was worded.

I want to join a VA but am too nervous to go on a real pro one; I'd just like to have fun with like minded people