Sign in to follow this  

Hello

I am going to buy a new computer, so, I would like to know.

What hardware do I actually need to use and what do I need to do with it to get nice and smooth 30 FPS or around that with this bird, some complex heavy scenery, that I would usually use, some heavy weather conditions, and perhaps, some other add-ons?

Thank You

Best Regards

Just get the best you can afford I would say.

i7 4770k (k means you can overclock it)

GTX780

Fast RAM (very very important unless you want stutters)

A motherboard that has the features you need and gives good overclocking capabilities (if you want to overclock)

An SSD large enough for Win7 and FSX (mine is 250Gb)

(or you can buy two SSD and separate Win7 from FSX)

(realy, do yourself a favour and get an SSD for FSX...much easier, and fast and no defrag maintenance, which prevents stutters!)

Get Win7, not Win8 (problems with win8)

Get that, and you will see that you will still not be able to run 30fps all the time!

(I have something similar, and at most payware airports I get 20+ fps but not 30fps solid)

Also the biggest problem we all face today is OOM.

The way FSX is written (32bit software) it can not use more than 4Gb of VAS memory.

(no not even if you put 8Gb or more RAM into your system)

This means that if you add too many high demanding addons (like PMDG777 with REX HD clouds and HDscenery) then FSX will run out of VAS memory and crash!

Not even the most exspensive PC can fix that.

You have to be reasonable in assuming what you can get out of that old software!!

Rob Robson

That said, having 8GB of ram helps (FSX uses 3.x GB, Windows uses the other ~4. That way you can do things like look up pdf files (charts) while flying and not start Virtual ram swapping and rolling down to a bottleneck.)

How fast should the memory and the processor be?

Will I get any advantage from GTX Titan?

If I get rid of most if not all scenery and other such things besides the aircraft itself, what performance can I expect?

Is there a computer, able to run FSX as fast and comfortable as FS9 is normally ran?

How fast should the memory and the processor be?

Like I said as fast as you can afford! Some will tell you an i5 is fine others will tell you AMD is fine and I advice you to get the i7 4770k. We will never agree on this. So if we just say "get the fastest you can afford" then nobody will object I guess.

Will I get any advantage from GTX Titan?

Sure but the advantage of that GPU Is small when compared to its price. I have been told this card helps especially for multimonitor setups.

If I get rid of most if not all scenery and other such things besides the aircraft itself, what performance can I expect?

30+fps all the way. I can do that also with my 3770k@4.4Ghz no problem.

But I dont, cause it does not look good outside plus I need addon airports to have FSX airports corrected to reflect the actual layout and approach/navigation aids they have today.

Is there a computer, able to run FSX as fast and comfortable as FS9 is normally ran?

FSX on my current PC runs better than FS9 on my old core2duo and GT8800.

So I would say yes...untill.....you start adding all those demanding addons!

Ps, there are hardware forums at Avsim where you might get better/more help!

Rob Robson

You can buy my 3 year old AMD rig for 1800 USD if you want. I think that is about the going price for a top-end Intel rig? Seems to out-perform them in many situations.

I get flamed every time for saying this, but be realistic - FSX, as a piece of software, is junk. It is very poorly written, and as a result, performs like crap on even overclocked top end hardware. The bottom line is: if you want all the eye-candy, no matter what you do, you will get problems (CTD/OOME as well as just lousey performance).

Do yourself a favor, and save yourself a few hundred bucks by not going for top end Intel/nVidia hardware (which won't help much), and build a rig that will just work. ANYTHING you buy today will be good enough for FSX. You must be realistic about FSX, and its problems.

Seeing as I mentioned Intel twice, I'm going to suggest that you look at AMD. Their hardware is actually very good (and cheaper than Intel). My current rig is 3 years old [AMD Phenom, II X4 970 BE (running stock at 3.5 GHz) with an AMD 6750 graphics card], and it eats FSX for breakfast (yes, running sceneries with the 777). I get an easy 40 FPS on the ground at UK2000 Gatwick with the 777. It only gets better after takeoff.

Best regards,

Robin.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "PMDG 777" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Get Win7, not Win8 (problems with win8)

Just a note on the choice of the operating system. There really aren't that many problems with 8, at least not that I've found, and I've been running it for nearly a year now. I haven't kept up much on the joystick disconnecting issue, so I'm not sure if another work-around has been found, but a couple minutes in FSUIPC to remap your controls through there fixes that problem. Other than that, the only difference I've found running FSX on 8 is noticeably better performance than on 7.

Brandon Filer

3-2-1-Now, Robin,

Are you really getting a stable smooth 40 frames per second with complex heavy add-ons in FSX?

Can you, please, explain, how do you do that?

Most people say, that it is really hard.

Why do add-on developers turn to FSX only, if it is actually really that bug-full?

3-2-1-Now, Robin,

Are you really getting a stable smooth 40 frames per second with complex heavy add-ons in FSX?

Can you, please, explain, how do you do that?

Most people say, that it is really hard.

And when you find out please let me know.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Robin does not use Autogen,nor AI traffic.

I had a lengthy PM conversation with him about how those two items are the primary cause of VAS going up and up and up during a long haul flight.

Test flight prooved this.

(I know now I discovered nothing new, but it was new for me!)

Anyway, I still use Autogen and AItraffic cause without it I find FSX boring.

Rob Robson

And when you find out please let me know.

No problem

I will tell you, if I know anything interesting.

VAS

I am sorry, but what is it?