Sign in to follow this  
hychewright

Megascenery Earth

Hello Fliers,  I have never used Megascenery Earth. I used other scenery packages with FSX. I'm sure it will be compatiable with P3D 2.0. I have some questions about Megascenery Earth maybe you can help me with for those of you who use it.

1. Does it have moving road traffic?

2. Does it have each of the 4 seasons?

3. Is it compatiable with FTX global or do both work together?

I received a 40% discount on my first State with full refund if I did not like it.

Thanks

Regards

Lamar Wright

hychewright,

1. It does not supply any new road traffic, but the existing traffic from FSX will appear to move along the roads when the FSX roads match up with the Megascenery roads. That is almost 100% of the time.

2. The scenery is summer only.

3. Sorry, that one I don't know!

- Bill Magann

Hello Fliers,  I have never used Megascenery Earth. I used other scenery packages with FSX. I'm sure it will be compatiable with P3D 2.0. I have some questions about Megascenery Earth maybe you can help me with for those of you who use it.

1. Does it have moving road traffic?

2. Does it have each of the 4 seasons?

3. Is it compatiable with FTX global or do both work together?

I received a 40% discount on my first State with full refund if I did not like it.

Thanks

I currently own 18 of the 50 states and I love it.   I don't miss landclass based scenery packages like FTX Global.    To answer question 3;  No.  It is not compatible.   If you load FTX Global first, it will take over and shut off MSE.   IF you load MSE on top of FTX Global you won't get any autogen landclass stuff or night lighting.    You have to choose what you want;    Perfect representation of the United States in a Summer setting with every neighborhood, road and building shown (albeit flat) or do you want a fictional but detailed United States (or the rest of the world) with 3D autogen everywhere.    If you are a VFR flier, stick with FTX Global.  If you are a Tube Liner pilot like me, MSE.

I thought I would miss the autogen but as a tube liner flier Autogen is only useful during one point of flight, landing.    You are way to busy during take off to enjoy the scenery rushing by and once you get up past 2000 feet AGL, the MSE scenery takes on an almost 3D look to it anyway and the higher you go the greater it looks.    The greatest thing about MSE besides the accurate depiction of where you are flying is the huge boost you get back in frame rate because of all the autogen getting cleared.     I fly on a triple monitor setup with NGX and MSE saved me from going insane with the constant changes in experience from airport to airport autogen brought.  Some flights would be fine then others would drop to 15 FPS.     With MSE I am 30 FPS solid all the time, even when flying online with VatSIM.   When offline, MSE allows me to turn on pretty heavy AI traffic at airports and still keep mostly pegged to 30 FPS with no stutters.

For the states I don't own yet, I do fly with FTX Global which is a great package itself, if for nothing else than the night lighting is incredible.    

Another question you didn't ask that I will answer is that yes, MSE scenery does include night textures for most major cities but you are forever stuck in summer.    Since I fly a lot around the lower part of the US, it always looks green anyway except for like 2 months out of the year.   The nice thing about FTX Global is you get all the world for $99 bucks.    Each state of MSE costs from 25-40 dollars.

I just did a flight this evening on VatSIM coming in to FS Dream Teams McCarin International in Las Vegas with the Nevada MSE turned on and I felt like I was really there coming in on final 01L.   It was gorgeous.

Buy your homestate and try it out.  If you like the experience I highly recommend you buy states in clusters as you get a hidden discount for being clusters of states.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Is it compatiable with FTX global or do both work together?

It is mostly not compatible. However, you can either annotate the photo real scenery yourself or buy products like openvfr that provide autogen based on OSM data and it would then show the autogen from FTX Global. So, you wouldn't have their ground textures in this case, but you'd have their autogen(trees, buildings and such). I don't believe their 3D lights will work though. UTX night lighting does work on top of photo real scenery, in case you're interested in that.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

It is mostly not compatible. However, you can either annotate the photo real scenery yourself or buy products like openvfr that provide autogen based on OSM data and it would then show the autogen from FTX Global. So, you wouldn't have their ground textures in this case, but you'd have their autogen(trees, buildings and such). I don't believe their 3D lights will work though. UTX night lighting does work on top of photo real scenery, in case you're interested in that.

Oh really?  *_*   I did not know that.   I might now pick up UTX just so my night landings in MSE will be a little more epic.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I agree with the other posts on this topic. 

I would go on to say that with MSE, I feel much more like I'm traveling.  The landclass based terrain all looks the same no matter where you go.  It's jigsaw puzzled together differently but in the end, it's just using the same textures and models everywhere.  Chicago looks the same as Kansas City which looks the same as Atlanta, etc. 

With MSE, every single location is completely unique and an accurate representation of the real place.  It really adds something to picking your destination and route.

Buy your homestate and try it out.  If you like the experience I highly recommend you buy states in clusters as you get a hidden discount for being clusters of states.

I'm doing this now.  It's my first venture into some type of Payware I guess it's called.  They have a sale going on till the 2nd so I picked up my home state for a little over $20.

-----

Easy download and easy install.  Question though to those that use it.  I think I was expecting basically a Google maps overlay with some topology.  While it is photorealistic it's not an exact correct?  For example I tried to find an amusement park and located the cross highways and couldn't find it.  Also seems like some street were overlapping other streets ect.  But the basic highway design was in place and easy to follow, just other things didn't match...  Is that normal or do I have something messed up?

I still think for $20 it's a good deal and at actual operating airspace it looks great.

I'm doing this now.  It's my first venture into some type of Payware I guess it's called.  They have a sale going on till the 2nd so I picked up my home state for a little over $20.

-----

Easy download and easy install.  Question though to those that use it.  I think I was expecting basically a Google maps overlay with some topology.  While it is photorealistic it's not an exact correct?  For example I tried to find an amusement park and located the cross highways and couldn't find it.  Also seems like some street were overlapping other streets ect.  But the basic highway design was in place and easy to follow, just other things didn't match...  Is that normal or do I have something messed up?

I still think for $20 it's a good deal and at actual operating airspace it looks great.

All the imagery for MegaEarth is sampled from the real thing so every road, forest and town should be exactly where it belongs.    I have flown all over my home state of Texas and recognize every highway and little town and river right where it should be.    

100454.png

Brian Navy

As was just stated but I'll say it again, it should be exactly what you'd see if you were to fly over it in real life. The only exception will be the season and time of day. Past that, unless they did construction in the area, everything should be right where it's supposed to be.

The fact that you say some streets overlap other streets makes me wonder if you do have it installed correctly. A statement like that sounds like something you'd hear from someone that is using the landclass/vector stuff. I believe the MSE photo real scenery should be just above the default "built-in" scenery stuff from FSX. And, if photo real scenery is installed, I believe that will trump all other land class based stuff no matter where it appears in the scenery library. So, that's why if you're not seeing things match exactly to real life, then you might have something wrong.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

There's a high probability I didn't install it correctly.  I double checked the Scenery Library and moved the priority of the Mega Scenery path to right above Default Scenery and Terrain.  No change... do I need to turn off the #### Base scenaries? Or maybe the North America ones?

There's a high probability I didn't install it correctly.  I double checked the Scenery Library and moved the priority of the Mega Scenery path to right above Default Scenery and Terrain.  No change... do I need to turn off the #### Base scenaries? Or maybe the North America ones?

No.  You should never turn off the base/default FSX sceneries.  I have my MSE stuff just above the "New FSX Library Objects" entry in the scenery library.  Everything below that is default FSX stuff and should never be disabled.  As I said before, photo real should take priority over any land class stuff if it is installed.  What does your scenery.cfg look like?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Okay I'm looking at my Scenery Library now-   I have 126 objects.  Looking at the scenary.cfg I only have 125 entries, it's missing the manual one I put in for the Mega Scenery path.

Question on how P3D handles addons.  Should I just put the scenery files into the 'Addon Scenery' folder under the 'Prepar3D v2' installation path?  I previously ran the MegaScenery installer which dumped it into a directory off the root into it's own folder. (That's what I linked the scenery library too).

Thanks for your help on this.

I realized that I hadn't updated what I previously posted.  I now have this scenery working, I apparently had not installed it correctly as suggested.  I corrected this by uninstalling everything related to my previous scenery install.  I then downloaded the suggested auto-installer which just installed each of the 21 files at once.  I received errors on every disk stating it couldn't change the config file.  I assume it's because this is made for FSX and I have P3D.  After it was done I just went into scenery library and manually added the path.

That was it.  Now it looks I assume how it should because I can follow streets, find landmarks, ect...

You can buy MES-Hawaii for only $5. It has some cloud artifacts that MES is correcting and, no doubt, it will cost $29+ when they offer it. The $5 version offers and inexpensive way to 'try' MES. It helped me make the decision to buy other states AND get comfortable with the install process... which was easy.

Hi all,

A couple of things, first, how do you change/move the "priority" in the Scenery Library? Second, is photoreal scenery simply satilite photos? They look so flat and it's plain to see the buildings are placed, so I'm not very fond of that type of scenery. Orbx has great scenery, but after switching to P3d v2, they are not compatible.

I was also wondering if I could get opinion's on what you all think is the best addon scenery, Or how to best get the truest look. I'd like very much to fly in areas that look as they really are.

Thanks

Larry