Sign in to follow this  
jt_williams

DX10 & FSX Instability

Folks,

I am a recent convert to DX10. I am using Steve's DX10 fixer and have reviewed and implemented the recommended FSX.cfg and Inspector settings. I am very happy with the way my FSX looks and performs. In most respects it is much better than what I experienced when using DX9. There is one very annoying problem that I have not been able to fix and am at a loss as to how to proceed. About 50% of the time FSX will CTD without warning. This has happened on multiplayer and free flight. These CTD's do not seem to be associated with any particular add-on aircraft or locations. The CTD's can occur within the first 5 minutes of a session or after an hour of sim time. This weekend I did two overnight of over 6000nm in the PMDG 777LR and did not experience a CTD on either flight. I have also had two shorter flights when it did occur and three when it did not occur. When I experience a CTD and check the event viewer log file I see a critical error like this:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: d3d11.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16570, time stamp: 0x5153774d

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000a4906

Faulting process id: 0x2ca0

Faulting application start time: 0x01cee94b5588dda3

Faulting application path: e:\FSX\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\d3d11.dll

Report Id: d608e48c-5547-11e3-bd88-001fbc0239e5

I am using NVidia 331.82 WHQL drivers and previously used 331.65 and had the same experience with both drivers.

Any thoughts on what I should check/change to kill this bug.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Folks,

I am a recent convert to DX10. I am using Steve's DX10 fixer and have reviewed and implemented the recommended FSX.cfg and Inspector settings. I am very happy with the way my FSX looks and performs. In most respects it is much better than what I experienced when using DX9. There is one very annoying problem that I have not been able to fix and am at a loss as to how to proceed. About 50% of the time FSX will CTD without warning. This has happened on multiplayer and free flight. These CTD's do not seem to be associated with any particular add-on aircraft or locations. The CTD's can occur within the first 5 minutes of a session or after an hour of sim time. This weekend I did two overnight of over 6000nm in the PMDG 777LR and did not experience a CTD on either flight. I have also had two shorter flights when it did occur and three when it did not occur. When I experience a CTD and check the event viewer log file I see a critical error like this:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: d3d11.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16570, time stamp: 0x5153774d

Faulting process id: 0x2ca0

Faulting application start time: 0x01cee94b5588dda3

Faulting application path: e:\FSX\fsx.exe

Report Id: d608e48c-5547-11e3-bd88-001fbc0239e5

I am using NVidia 331.82 WHQL drivers and previously used 331.65 and had the same experience with both drivers.

Any thoughts on what I should check/change to kill this bug.

Sorry i have not seen this error yet but will report back if i see it. We have simular setup and i was wondering if you can undock panels and still have stabil FPS? (jmine is jumping after 20-25 seconds up and down like a Vsync problem)

Sorry for asking and not give you a solution but i will report if i come in your situation (also new to DX10 and Nvidia GTX780)

Is so please share your settings and PM me

Thanks in advance 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Do we have the fix for you!!

This is a Microsoft issue, as a result of their constant barrage of "You should install this update" messages.

Open up your Windows Update history and look for KB2670838, and uninstall it. Done.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Paul,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have found KB2670838 and have un-installed it. Will report back after some testing.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

This is a follow-up posting.  I am very happy to report that I have not had a single FSX CTD event after 6 FSX sessions.  I am pretty sure that uninstalling KB2670938 has fixed this particular bug.

Thanks very much Paul.  I don't think I ever would have found this out without help.

26aLetj.png

Excellent! Glad it's fixed.  :wink:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "DX-10 Discussions, Hints and Help" to "Crash To Desktop (CTD) Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Hi guys

My english is not so good , but ill try it,  yesterday finnaly i got FSX runing on win7 64bits with no problems

Before win 7  i used to play FSX on XP 64bits

One thing is different , on XP 64bits the water was more detailed, the reflex  but now on win 7 its not the same

Maybe is the DirectX? 

Any idea?

Thanks

Best regards

Sergio

Do we have the fix for you!!

This is a Microsoft issue, as a result of their constant barrage of "You should install this update" messages.

Open up your Windows Update history and look for KB2670838, and uninstall it. Done.

I've been in DX10 for a couple of weeks now, and all the sudden this week I have been having CTD errors during flights. Seemed to happen about an hour or so into a flight. I checked event viewer and am having the exact same error info as original poster. 

Faulting process id: 0x4590
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf1e0c55020536
Faulting application path: X:\Games\FSX\fsx.exe
Report Id: 92813b00-8a08-11e3-abbc-902b34d69e75

I have followed Paul's suggestion to uninstall KB2670838 and will report back if that solves my issue as well. 

This seemed to fix my issue thus far. I've done about 3 full test flights and have yet to experience a CTD. Hopefully uninstalling this fixed the problem. 

i dont even have that update.just checked,i have also not have one single CTD for a long long time in dx10,in dx 9 i get out of memory when trying to land the 777 in dubai,in dx no problems at all.

dx10

Actually

the fix is not as "a general fix" for the issue, some off us don't have this Microsoft update and we are still having the problem!

i dont even have that update.just checked,i have also not have one single CTD for a long long time in dx10,in dx 9 i get out of memory when trying to land the 777 in dubai,in dx no problems at all.

dx10

You don't have Windows Update turned on?  Maybe that's the problem.  If you had Windows Update on, then the bad Windows Update would have been installed.  This fix for the OP has worked for everyone who has gotten the d3d11.dll error in their crash report.  If you did not get the d3d11.dll error, then you need to submit a new topic with your AppCrashView report so we can analyze it.

If you have SweetFX installed, remove it.  It is not working for you.  Many, many people have problems with SweetFX and the ENBSeries mods.  It definitely does not work for everyone.

If you are getting Out of Memory messages when trying to land in Dubai, that's a completely separate issue.  You need to start a new topic and provide us with the AppCrashView report.  The AVSIM CTD guide has several excellent suggestions for fixing OOM's (Note:  They do not work for everyone).

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I don't know how you guys figure this stuff out.  I was a sad puppy tonight after installing DX10 yesterday, fixing the water texture and animation and getting SweetFX set up to look nice, only to have my sim crash about a half dozen times today.  

I did a search, found this thread, checked my event viewer and saw the exact same problem.  Found the update and uninstalled.  Here's hoping it fixed the problem. It's late, so I'm going to test tomorrow.  

Actually

the fix is not as "a general fix" for the issue, some off us don't have this Microsoft update and we are still having the problem!

Good day

I am quoting my self for a good reason!

After my February post, I have try DX10 at August again with same results, CTD although the KB2670838 was uninstalled etc.

For the OOM reasons, friends and others had report that it make a difference, I wanted to run and decide to give a try for one more time.

Well it is know 5 days that I am running DX10 without any problems at all.

At first I have try it the whole day without a crash and I haven't check if the Microsoft update was there.

Later I was gone online at IVAO and had my first CTD. I checked my updates and the KB2670838 was there. I have uninstall it, restart etc and I was hopping that this time I will be lucky and run DX10 finally.

Guess what, I was   :rolleyes:  Tested offline and online many times since then and everything seems OK!!!

I have also make flights at VAS eater addon airports such FSDT LGTS and everything went OK.

I want to make some more tests at central Europe regarding the OOM issue, that's where it's dangerous with many AEROSOFT airports, just leaving everything active at FSX library and observe the VAS usage and the results.

I have a good feeling so far with my observations but I am not 100% sure. I have seeing that the VAS was down after leaving the airport area, that was not happening before with DX9. Again I am not 100% sure but I have seeing it at Process Explorer.

Have someone observed something similar?

Regards