Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

PMDG's XPlane 10 Development Fact Thread [Updated 25NOV13]

Does anyone know what performance will be like compared to, say, the default 747?

It will almost definitely chew up more frames than the default 747, since it will be a lot more complex. However, every PMDG aircraft so far has been more framerate friendly than the previous, since the programmers are always figuring out new ways to code their aircraft more efficiently. This should mean that the mystery aircraft won't perform badly at all. But it is PMDG's first time making something for XPX, so maybe it won't run as smoothly as its FSX version.

It will almost definitely chew up more frames than the default 747, since it will be a lot more complex. However, every PMDG aircraft so far has been more framerate friendly than the previous, since the programmers are always figuring out new ways to code their aircraft more efficiently. This should mean that the mystery aircraft won't perform badly at all. But it is PMDG's first time making something for XPX, so maybe it won't run as smoothly as its FSX version.

you do know that PMDG is very precise on what they do? they always wait till they know a product is ready to be released before they announce a release date.

your forgetting that xplane is 64 bit and i can guarantee you that when the plane is released by PMDG it will outperform any plane on fsx

I think the relative performance impact will be small. XPlane 10 is 64-bit meaning it can handle all kinds of stuff simultaneously much easier without too much loss of performance

PMDG on X-plane ! Very good news !

Thanks PMDG for this update.

Guillaume

------------------

Guillaume CHARRIER

PMDG, as someone who is obsessed with your aircraft on FSX and someone that recently picked up X Plane 10... I can tell you that people would absolutely go nuts over the NGX and 777 on Xplane 10.  It is in desperate need of aircraft with PMDG quality... please... release everything.  Build it and he will come :)

I'm really looking forward to having the PMDG 777 on X-Plane. The Ramzzess one is nice, but the wings don't seem to flex up when they're supposed to, ie when cruising or climbing, or pretty much any part of the flight.

Any news?

Being a new XP10 converted, still FSX/PR3D on my HD but barely used once last week, I really hope PMDG can speed up work on this platform. After test plane, which I will buy for sure to support the shift to XP, I really suggest to focus on 747. That would be the best seller since there is no alternative right now while 737 will be well covered by IGEX.

you do know that PMDG is very precise on what they do? they always wait till they know a product is ready to be released before they announce a release date.

your forgetting that xplane is 64 bit and i can guarantee you that when the plane is released by PMDG it will outperform any plane on fsx

There are a number of factors that can affect frames, and 64-bits means full use of the SYSTEM MEMORY, but still other factors can cause bottlenecks.  Most-notably the CPU will be more burdened because it has to draw the more complex innards of a PMDG plane, and the GPU will also need to be equipped with more VRAM than you would expect.  XPlane can use all the VRAM the system has on it's video card, so a 6GB GTX Titan benefits an x-plane pilot, whilst having NO impact on FSX as compared with a typical 2GB Video card.  The sweet spot in graphics cards as of 2014 for XPlane appears to be 4GB.  Sure, 6 is nicer and better, but the price is well over 2x as much just for 2 extra gigs of VRAM.  The GTX 770 4GB OC by Msi is the 'go-to'  display adapter in my system, which is 5 pcs running 3 displays (1 pc per display) and 1 for glass cockpit and 1 for the Avionics (Sim-Avionics).  With 770's on the wing displays and a Titan on the main box, the frames are substantial, stutters are a dim memory in all but the most ortho-scenery laden metro areas, and SkyMaxx and HD Textures for XPlane bring the graphics eye candy to new heights.

When PMDG's product(s) arrive for XPlane 10, it will likely push many of those who have avoided the move to make the purchase and at minimum fly a combination of XPlane and FSX.

Check any of my XPlane videos on my YouTube site, you will see the progress that has resulted from moving to multi-PCs instead of asking ONE computer to 'do it all'.  It's like multi CPUs, only they are networked instead of trying to run ALL the data across just ONE motherboard.

The fact that X-Plane puts ALL its data in ONE folder and then has sub-folders within that main folder and does not use the Windows Registry is totally bonus.  Plus, using a fast ethernet network, splitting the image into a 180 degree field of view on multiple systems is light years simpler with better frames and far less distortion than trying to run 3 displays off your main FS computer, plus everything ELSE.

PCs have really come down in price, you can buy i5's for sub 700 price points and then you can upgrade the power supply (Corsair 750-watt bronze modular) and remove the bottom-end nVidia GTX620 for a 760 of 770.  Again, the 4GB on the video card is a "MUST" for x-plane long-term (IMHO).

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

In my opinion there are two technically advanced X-Plane Boeing airliners which approach PMDG aircraft in terms of complexity and quality: Flight Factors 757 and 777

I really wanted to like these planes because I like many others feel that 64 bits is the only way to move this hobby forward. I'm sorry, they look like toys. They may perform okay, but there is no way I'm looking at those cockpits for a long flight. Yes, we've been spoiled. When that IXEG project is released or when PMDG releases a Boeing, you can bet that I'll be interested in X-Plane.

James McLees

GREAT NEWS!!!

This is what XPlane needs to become the number one in flight simulation...a high quality addon by PMDG!!

I think the major reason for people (me included!) not to switch to XPlane is the lack of high quality airplane addons.

When I think of the capability which XPlane offers...and that in combination with PMDG products.....that's gonna be absolutely amazing!!!!

No doubt many other deverlopers will follow when they see there is an increasing market and demand for XPlane.

For me that issue about XP is a vicious cycle.....on the one hand we consumers dont want to switch to XP because of the lack of highly sophisticated addons and

on the other hand for developers it doesn't pay out to publish XP addons....they can make more money with FSX.

But somebody has to make the first step and break that cycle....and in my oppinion PMDG has done the right step!

THANK YOU PMDG!

I can´t wait to fly this beautyful planes PMDG take my money.......

OH- and one last thing:  We are working on preserving the ability to run PMDG produts on all three platforms for which Xplane is enabled...  I can't promise we will still have that capability when we finish- but it is in the decision making process.

My $.02 if I may, PLEASE don't give up on Linux :rolleyes:

X-Plane 10 in 64bit Linux is an absolute joy. While PMDG could drag me back to Windows kicking and screaming, I would really prefer not to go down that road. Besides, I just recently repartioned my hard disk. B)

Best Regards,

Ed

Edward Doloughty

KUGN

When we reach out to Laminar and ask for help, clarification, modification or long term discussion of changes to simplify our development process- we get an affirmative response- enthusiastic reception and in a few cases nearly instant updates to test.

Maybe PMDG can convince Laminar some day that using the scrollwheel to rotate knobs in the VC, like in FSX, is not "Bad UI design". The X-Plane method of dragging to rotate a knob is so annoying if you're used to the easy and precise scrollwhell function in the NGX or 777X.

I have 3 platforms for my simming pleasure. FSX Acceleration, P3D v1.4 and X Plane 10. I have 3rd party add-ons for all of them and that's why I have each one on their own dedicated hdd's in my new 6 core based system. My decision to purchase X Plane was based on a personal decision to support a company that deserves it, imho. I also believe that X Plane 10 is the future of flight simming. My absolute encouragement and thanks to PMDG for supporting Laminar's platform. To have such a highly respected group as PMDG's support will give X Plane a huge shot in the arm as well as PMDG. You've got more money than sense, I hear you cry. Quite the contrary. All of my superannuation is gone and I exist on an Australian pension as my sole income and the AU$ is fast being referred to as the Pacific Peso. I spend thousands of hours in my flight sims and justify my purchases of 3rd Party add-ons by dividing those hours into the purchase price of the product. Invariably, this is very inexpensive entertainment. The moment I have a PMDG product for X Plane 10, I'll be spending a lot more money for add-ons and a lot more time using X Plane.

Jon Shearer

I use Blender as 3D programming since there are special plugins made for, do you guys use Autodesk within X-Plane 3D design?

Kind regards.

7pcv.png