Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

PMDG's XPlane 10 Development Fact Thread [Updated 25NOV13]

I think one of the FF guys said something like "maybe one day soon..." About the 767. It makes a lot of sense though. The 757 and 767 are almost identical in their cockpit layout and systems. So much so that they share a common type rating. I would be SHOCKED if FF didn't put out a 767 next.

As for PMDG, I think they should focus on more modern aircraft as this is where they have a lot of experience. They know Boeing systems inside out and there is a huge gap in the X-Plane market for a 737NGX.

I own the FF 757 and while it is excellent, I would not say it has the same level of finish as the PMDG products. Graphically and systems wise it is slightly behind in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, they make great products but not PMDG outstanding.

B747 missing (the default one is a big mess)

SSG has 748i, which is not study level, but hits enough points to satisfy. 

I think people are forgetting:

"Upon completion of this project, we will evaluate the market demand and the Xplane platform's viability as a platform for future growth of our PMDG BAe JS4100, PMDG 737NGX, PMDG 777 and PMDG 747-400v2.0 product lines with an eye toward making these products available to Xplane users.

PMDG does not intend to release any of our legacy products such as the PMDG MD-11 or PMDG 747-400X into the Xplane platform."

So no:

JS4100

737NGX

MD-11

Airbus -Pipe Dream

Boeing 717?

Think about it... PMDG have experience with both the MD 11 and Boeing 737/777.

It's fairly modern, simpler than the bigger jets and right along PMDG's line of expertise.

I'd be happy with something like that.

EDIT: It's now 57 days since the 'within 60 days' estimate for the news release.

707 with military variant anybody? Hmmm. I hope they stick to their announcement schedule at least.

I think one of the FF guys said something like "maybe one day soon..." About the 767. It makes a lot of sense though. The 757 and 767 are almost identical in their cockpit layout and systems. So much so that they share a common type rating. I would be SHOCKED if FF didn't put out a 767 next.

As for PMDG, I think they should focus on more modern aircraft as this is where they have a lot of experience. They know Boeing systems inside out and there is a huge gap in the X-Plane market for a 737NGX.

I own the FF 757 and while it is excellent, I would not say it has the same level of finish as the PMDG products. Graphically and systems wise it is slightly behind in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, they make great products but not PMDG outstanding.

I read this EVERYWHERE, I'm even sure I saw it written on a toilet cubicle wall once. What is that makes people conclude that pmdg system modelling is slightly better than the other top tier type stuff? How do you even know?

The main things I like about pmdg products are how well integrated everything is (e.g. Fuel and payload via the FMS) and it's brilliant failure system. I sure appreciate the systems modelling but you can paint me in red and call me Susan before I could tell you why it's better than the ff 757

you can paint me in red and call me Susan before I could tell you why it's better than the ff 757

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showforum=151

This thread is full of issues with the FF 757. I have had lots of issues with the FMC causing crashes, texture glitches. I also said 'in my opinion'. Some people might disagree and there are always going to be some who have more issues than others. That's the nature of complex software. It is my opinion however that PMDG's latest efforts are higher fidelity than what FF have been offering and more polished in their graphics and systems modelling. Watch a few videos of the FF 777 and PMDG 777 side by side and see which you think looks like the more complete package. I think the majority would agree that PMDG beats FF on most counts. I'm not saying that the FF version is bad. In fact it's one of the best around for X-Plane. For me though at least, there is an obvious quality difference.

I have the 737ngx and 777 but only the ff on x-plane. I can see the pmdg products are more polished (unsurprisingly) but I'm not able to tell the difference in the quality of systems modelling. I'm just not expert enough, which is why I was asking how people tell the difference, using examples.

The electronic checklists and runway advisory system of the PMDG 777 are a good example of systems that aren't even included on the FF 777. The virtual cockpit and external models are also more accurate and realistic in their dimensions and textures.

As far as I know, PMDG also simulates the 777's CDU's correctly where as the FF version uses a single CDU display that is cloned, istead of two independent systems. The FMC modeled by FF is also more basic than PMDG's.

The electronic checklists and runway advisory system of the PMDG 777 are a good example of systems that aren't even included on the FF 777. The virtual cockpit and external models are also more accurate and realistic in their dimensions and textures.

Good point about the electronic checklists. Although FF include checklists that can be displayed on the EICAS they aren't the shortened (they're just excerpts from the Normal Procedures section of the FCOM) fully interactive checklists like on the real aircraft. PMDG simulates this and I find it incredibly useful, don't really use the ones in FF 777 at all.

One thing the FF 777 has though is a sort of mock-up EFB on the captain's side but using it isn't very practical as you must run a few conversions from PDF files so that charts can display on them, I think I've only ever used it once but found it too cumbersome to bother with.

As far as I know, PMDG also simulates the 777's CDU's correctly where as the FF version uses a single CDU display that is cloned, istead of two independent systems. The FMC modeled by FF is also more basic than PMDG's.

Having only a single FMC modelled usually isn't normally an issue as the only reason you would use more than one is for the added convenience of having 2 different pages displayed on each one. It's more the inaccuracies and 'simplifications' with it for example not having the ability to use RVSM step climbs and the fact that you're limited to whatever VNAV profile gives you, if you try to stray from it and do a 2000ft step climb then it completes dumps the whole profile mid-flight.

I also find that the figures for de-rated takeoff thrust and assumed temps are off. Ever tried entering a higher temp and found that in some cases the thrust actually increases?

I can see the pmdg products are more polished (unsurprisingly) but I'm not able to tell the difference in the quality of systems modelling.

It's mostly a lot of small things like the time it takes for the APU to start up seems more realistic in the PMDG 777 and the whole power-up sequence of the aircraft from cold & dark.

I don't have the ff777 but yeah fair enough if it doesn't have the electronic checklists. I love the whole start up sequence in the pmdg one

Back to the discussion about 'which aircraft', I will be gutted if it's the DC-6.

I'd almost put money on the fact that it will be though.

I hate it when developers of typically modern aircraft start putting out vintage models. Eagle Dynamics did it when they released DCS: P-51 after the A-10C and it felt like a cheap way to make easy money back then.

Unfortunately this sort of things seems to be happening more and more. Less avionics to model, simpler, faster to push out, higher profit margins. For those of us interested in modern systems simulation though it is a very sad trend.

I would definitely NOT buy a DC-6 which is a shame, because I'm sure it would be a good simulation but I feel the need to press the message that I want purely modern aircraft and I will vote with my wallet if I have to.

I also feel it would also be a bad way to gauge interest in the X-Plane market for PMDG because a lot of people feel the same way and are just not interested in antiquated aircraft designs.

If PMDG's second release was to be a modern one however, I would jump at the chance to buy it.

Now! That's a beautiful aircraft!! Whatever PMDG brings to XP will be appreciated,

whether you fly the old birds or the modern aircrafts.