Sign in to follow this  
Guest cw1011

Need ideas for article

Guest lazerin

Hi guys,I've been designated to write an article on the "Evolution of Powered Flight" for my school's science journal at the last minute...i.e. I need to have it done by tonight.It can't be too long, probably maximum of 1000words, and absolute dead maximum of 1500 words. I need some inspiration people! Actually, my brain is having an overload of information at the moment. There's too much to write about!!Can you guys please help me out by telling me what I should include? Should I focus on anything? What should I cover in particular? etcMy current idea is to do a timeline of significant aircrafts/flights in history, and these aircraft/flights have to be significant due to some form of evolution (e.g. technology, navigation, techniques etc).However, I can't think of what planes/flights to include.If you guys could list some aircrafts/flights in history that are significant due to evolution of some form, and briefly explain what the significance is, that would be great also.Thanks a million!

Guest cw1011

It might be useful to focus on evolutions and developments in aircraft power plants - much aircraft design followed the increase in power available or assumed that increase.i.e.light kite like airplanes evolve into all metal airplanes as engines grow in power to drive them through the air.Increased power in piston engine drives design of airliners - larger, longer range, more comforatable, pressurized, able to fly over weather. The jet leads to swept wings, huge payloads, exceptional speed, more comfort.The power of the jet leads to planes that can land vertically Developments in the jet lead to supersonic flight - concord, airplanes that weigh hundreds of tonsWhere are we going:RamjetsScramjetPulse jetsHybrid rocket airplanes that land like conventional planesWhat will the planes look like - capable of suborbital flight, bigger? Just a thought. Hope this helps.

Guest Citationpilot

Look no further then FS2004. They have a whole section of historic flights you can do in a variaty of historic aircraft. I would include the Concord though.

Guest lazerin

Thanks cw1011 for that comprehensive list!Sounds like a great idea. I'll head off and do some quick research then.Citationpilot, I've looked into that, but there really isn't much in the way of evolution being discussed in those articles. It just mentions the details of each historic flight.Regards,Lazerin