Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

PMDG going P3D.

Careful, Geofa. We now live in a world where if you don't swear unconditional fealty to P3D, you're not a true simmer and are just a filthy X-Plane worshiping mongrel.

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Quite amazing since I have been so critical of xplane the last two years.

My enthusiasm for the fs world is once again waning.

Say what-I haven't compared anything to p3d.

Then what do you call this??

I'll bet p3d doesn't have God rays, and clouds that move or look as good as skymaxx, and from their pr. the mesh hasn't been improved and won't have the detail we have now thanks to alpilotx.

As I was saying, wait until you can compare that with P3D plus REX or ASN HD clouds, FSGenesis mesh, FTX Global/Vector textures etc.

Not defensive nor loyal to any sim...in fact I won't be getting P3D myself for a while still.  But neither XP nor P3D are works of art in stock form.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

What is this-an honest appraisal of what is available right now.

Seems defensive to me-especially since I have never had a loyalty to any sim-seems you might.

Seems defensive to me-especially since I have never had a loyalty to any sim-seems you might.

I was thinking the same thing about what you wrote...

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I find it odd-that you post all this because I happen to post an honest opinion that the autogen in p3d has not changed in 6 years and looks dated-especially since you haven't ever had any interaction until tonight. I did beta test fsx and am quite familiar.

I also happened to coincidentally post some positive posts about xplane after being a huge critic of it for two years because some really positive stuff came out for it this week.

Are you a flight sim enthusiasist-or do you have an agenda?

Are you a flight sim enthusiasist-or do you have an agenda?

Oh dear. Claws back in ladies. What has happened to everybody?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

No, Geof, I didn't make my first post because of you.  I have no idea what you've posted previously about XPlane, and it's irrelevant in this discussion anyway.

My original post was actually in reference to the topic started by Murmur--regarding the idea that LR missed a huge opportunity to capitalize on the void left when FSX was orphaned by MS. 

I did mention, as an aside at the end of my first post, that it seemed lopsided for you to compare your XP setup replete with add-ons to some preliminary autogen shots of P3D...stock, with none of the add-ons soon to migrate from the FSX world and those still to be developed.  Were I to have compared a loaded-up installation of FSX to XP10 on its release day void of any add-ons, the result would have been equally lopsided, and just as meaningless.

No agenda, unless fairness and a level playing field constitute an agenda around here...

Well then I am really confused. As far as I know p3d has no god rays, and has no rotating clouds via their pr release as of today.My post on xplane was made well before the release of p3d.

Please let me know what I did wrong.

We are not "going P3D" - Robert was very clear that we are developing for FSX and XPlane10 as consumer sims. P3D is not a consumer sim and the products we release for it will reflect that.

I hope that doesn't mean the products developed for P3D will have less "features" as they currently do in FSX. All this stuff is too soon for me to even try to figure out haha, time will tell I'm sure. (Just hoping for the best!)

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

Way I look at it, XPX users just had a big win this weekend with the items that Geoff mentioned and P3D is a big win for FSX users looking for a modernized platform.  I am thrilled to see both events happen.  I am a fan of both platforms and I feel that I am a double winner this weekend.  As time goes on we will see improvements for both products.  We should all be looking forward to XP10.3, which should be another win for XPX users.  We should also be looking forward to the upcoming innovation that will result from P3D's modernized engine.

My friends, these are good times for sim enthusiasts.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I hope that doesn't mean the products developed for P3D will have less "features" as they currently do in FSX. All this stuff is too soon for me to even try to figure out haha, time will tell I'm sure. (Just hoping for the best!)

It's called "spin"...and every time I hear about the P3D EULA and "Bah! This is not for entertainment!" I vomit a little bit in my mouth. All this jibber-jabber and sine-waving of the arms is part of a publicly orchestrated two-step around lawyers. At the end of the day, you can rest assured of one thing: everyone involved wants to make money - YOUR money - and LM would be an idiot not to make a play for it (Microsoft made millions on Flight Simulator - one of the best selling PC titles of all time). They also need adoption. The thing is: LM and anyone associated with P3D can't (legally) attain either by marketing it or anything affiliated with it as a "PC Title" (nor would it be advantageous for their business model to do so). They want your "serious academic or professional" business ONLY - please check your fun with the gate attendant before submitting your credit card.

This is like when you go to your doctor for something "cosmetic" which you know isn't covered by insurance and he/she looks at you and with a wink and a nod and says, "This hurts...doesn't it? When I touch here...it hurts...doesn't it? Right there? It hurts? Yes? Wink wink, nudge nudge. Ahhh...I thought as much...this should be a covered procedure for you then" Then they jot whatever they need to on their form - after all, you the patient came to them complaining of pain. They only carried out a service based on what the patient represented to them.

P3D will have all kinds of civil, military, academic and airline applications I have no doubt - I'm sure it does already (and there is a MUCH larger price tag on that, rest assured), but if LM didn't want your business they would be trying ALOT harder to keep you out - starting with its "priced for the 'consumer'...er 'enterprise professional'" $59/$199 price point. They wouldn't be here on AVSIM, a veritable online hub for the flightsim hobbiest (last I checked, we embraced hobbies for fun), promoting their "innovation in enterprise-class sims". They wouldn't be in development negotiations with major 3rd-party "players" who are making "toys" for "cheap entertainment products" like FSX trying to wheel deals. Everybody riding on those coattails, including PMDG, wants that business too but they can't look you in the eye as a common consumer while they take your money. So smile, be glad there's a future for this sim, and be sure to clap as the lawyers dance while you're sliding your bills under the table.

Besides, you're a professional right? An academic perhaps?

Aren't you?

Aren't you?

I thought you might be. Now if you'll step over here, I have something to sell you...

it seemed lopsided for you to compare your XP setup replete with add-ons to some preliminary autogen shots of P3D...stock,

The hifidelity mesh for his hometown and Skymaxx hardly seems to be 'replete' don't you think?

BTW, 10.30 promises an updated standard mesh ... just in case anyone's interested.

I didn't read that Geofa was being critical (at least I didn't 'read' that as being his intention), especially considering that P3D v.2 will happily use most current FSX addons .. which funnily enough will make P3D 'replete with addons' from the get go .. :).

Cheers!

Well just to be honest-Geofa has had it. As a mod seeing all kinds of things that would make peoples skin crawl -to posting honest assesments on xplane-its flight model etc.-being labelled an fsx'er-then tonight being labelled an xplaner for giving a critique to p3d's autogen-this hobby is no longer fun for this one. 31 years of simming over-and after tonight I am grateful.

Bye...

FWIW, I just installed x-plane 10.25 last night. This was my third install of XP10. My prior two installations were deleted within an hour of installing so underwhelmed I was. That changed for me last night. I must confess, somebody is working hard to remedy the environmental badness that has left XP on an even footing with FS98 for years. It looks pretty damn good in places... better than out of the box FSX in many respects and soooo much smoother. I was just thinking, a good mesh, some decent clouds like REX, and a decent cockpit (the stock aircraft panels are still pretty dismal visually and functionally)...and this could be a real contender. Might not be a bad time to become an x-planer with all this ridiculous P3D hubalaloo leaving the future simultaneous certain and yet not.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk