Sign in to follow this  
DJSean00

How is it?

How about we just acknowledge that LM has bought code from many years back and is on the path to making improvements to it.

They have delivered an upgrade to FSX that is basically what they have said they would do.  I am sure there is room for improvement and I reckon they will be working on things.

They might come from a large company but it's a small team compared to the games you are comparing it to and within the company it will have a budget which is minuscule compared to the same games you will be comparing it to.

I can see progress and for the meantime I also see a working team/company supporting it.

That's where I'm placing hopes, that Prepar3D 2.0 is still in active development and things can still be improved.

n4gix, you can keep marking my posts as "old", but the only old thing in here is your impression that 2013 applications don't need proper multithreading.

First, let's understand there's a team working on the engine right now, it's not like Microsoft, releasing a software then waiting for four years until the next version comes to clean up the mess. So they're going to improve things as the users give them feedback.

I love the fact it's so GPU dependent, it means I can spend 500 dollars on a GTX780 and get top notch performance and graphics. The 2007 FSX couldn't do it even with the latest $1000 Intel i7 HexaCore CPU!!! As many said, the technology FSX was built upon to expand and make it run faster as time went by never got released, Intel changed their thinking and now we have the same 3.0Ghz CPU we used to have 5 years ago.

GPU on the other hand, compare last years top card to this one, and then compare to the 800 series Nvidia will bring in 2014, which promisses double the performance. It means this simulator have everything to run smoother, faster, and more detailed as time goes by, and it will become cheaper to do so, this year's 780 is next year's 870, which is the following year 960! And so on. 

Alexis Mefano

GPU on the other hand, compare last years top card to this one, and then compare to the 800 series Nvidia will bring in 2014, which promisses double the performance. It means this simulator have everything to run smoother, faster, and more detailed as time goes by, and it will become cheaper to do so, this year's 780 is next year's 870, which is the following year 960! And so on. 

They only promised double the efficiency (power management and heat), not double the performance. We can only see double the performance if the integrated ARM CPU can take up the work of the driver thread, which will allow the CPU to feed the GPU more data, and that's only in CPU-limited situations.

They only promised double the efficiency (power management and heat), not double the performance. We can only see double the performance if the integrated ARM CPU can take up the work of the driver thread, which will allow the CPU to feed the GPU more data, and that's only in CPU-limited situations.

With this whole tablet/mobile device revolution it's wise to move operation to the GPU. Although we know it's false the going wisdom from Microsoft on down is the PC as we knew it is dead. LM is positioning P3D properly.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

n4gix, you can keep marking my posts as "old", but the only old thing in here is your impression that 2013 applications don't need proper multithreading.

Ignore him. He's like a troll but with moderator wings. He made the rounds on every single one of my posts yesterday - "dumb" voting out of principle. It's getting a bit ridiculous. The whole 50 ways to "up vote/down vote" posts is equally retarded and juvenile.

With this whole tablet/mobile device revolution it's wise to move operation to the GPU. Although we know it's false the going wisdom from Microsoft on down is the PC as we knew it is dead. LM is positioning P3D properly.

Tablets and mobile devices are starting to get extremely powerful now, but the performance increase in desktop GPUs is slowing down. I don't think we'll ever get another GeForce 8800 GTX.

Ignore him. He's like a troll but with moderator wings. He made the rounds on every single one of my posts yesterday - "dumb" voting out of principle. It's getting a bit ridiculous. The whole 50 ways to "up vote/down vote" posts is equally retarded and juvenile.

I'll have to agree. This reputation system is only doing harm in my opinion.

"Old" as in old argument. That doesn't mean I disagree with your statement, only that it's been stated, restated, and re-restated ad infinitum. FWIW, I've now changed that to "Informative," which is something the old system did not allow.

I'd also like to politely ask that everyone please quote only enough to make it clear who's remarks your reply is directed to.

Ignore him. He's like a troll but with moderator wings.

Would you rather I did something else? By your own comments, you've violated AVSIM's TOS.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'd also like to politely ask that everyone to please quote only enough to make it clear who's remarks your reply is directed to.

Just so you know: I for one am really happy with your actions regarding this. I hate quotes of mutliple quotes that takes three mousewheel scrolls to get through only to read something like 'Yes' or 'I agree' or 'Thanks!'

People should use the Selective Quote more often: in fact, I use that opton by default. It's the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to forum software. (Maybe AVSIM should hide the Quote button completely and only show the Selective quote option! :P )

So back on topic, the general feeling I am getting from the forums is that this V 2.0 is certainly a big step in the right direction. Multi-core/64bit/SLI are all features that will give this sim legs long-term once LM adds those features to the sim. It looks like SLI is in V2.1. 

I also agree that it isn't perfect, but good enough to put FSX on the shelf when the time comes. I am also VERY happy that LM is continuing the development of this product. 

Scott

KGPI

Banner_MJC1.png

Well that helps in FSX too but does not eliminate it.

Only your Photobucket night shots seem to display for me and it's pretty hard to see what's going on.

That dark right cockpit pillar still looks pretty stretched though.

Any chance of some more daylight shots?

gb.

This is what us multimonitor people have been waiting for.

Yeah!

gb.

I didn't realise the night shots could be accessed. They are taken from FSX and we know what that looks like.

I was a little excited yesterday when I made my original statement. IT DOES look better to me and I've been looking at it much closer today.

In FSX when you were taxing close to buildings they would lean but I've not seen this effect in P3D which lead me to make my statement. If you pan your view in the cockpit you still get leaning but I didn't notice this yesterday. From what LM have said, the view can be adjusted in the cameras cfg but I've not done any experimenting as yet.

I did put up a video earlier and if you look, their is no leaning of the buildings when viewed from the cockpit. http://forum.avsim.net/index.php?/topic/427260-P3D-in-Eyefinity-at-20fps

"Old" as in old argument. That doesn't mean I disagree with your statement, only that it's been stated, restated, and re-restated ad infinitum. FWIW, I've now changed that to "Informative," which is something the old system did not allow.

I don't really think that the multithreading argument is something "old", at least not as much as the EULA argument. But I'll stop because I think I've made my opinion on this matter clear, and let's just hope that Prepar3D will be improved in the future.

... but many people are reporting much lower performance in P3D than in FSX which can only be resolved by monster videocards.

What is their basis for saying performance in P3d2 is worse than FSX? For the same high end settings, FSX either won't even run or run so poorly as to be non-usable. P3d 1.4 has basically the same performance level as FSX, when the two sims' settings are matched up as best as one can. You mean to tell me you believe that P3d2 has worse performance than P3d 1.4? LM must have made some serious coding mistakes somewhere.

Alright, reporting back after a long day of settings things up. I have successfully installed P3Dv2 with the Airbus X Extended, FTX Global, ActiveSky 2012, TrackIR, and Taxi2Gate KMCO. Here's what I've noticed so far:

• Performance is much more consistent, and overall feels smoother. FPS is less related to smoothness, so be aware of that when people give FPS values.
  • Shadows, reflections, and volumetric clouds/fog really do make a difference. Appears to be a much more realistic overcast.
  • Shadows do kill GPU performance. They alone accounted for about 30% of GPU use when on the Low setting.
  • KMCO is backwards compatible, so I assume most all sceneries are as well.
  • Graphics card load is considerably higher.
  • Anti aliasing will take some tweaking to get right; LM has changed the settings on it, and I don't have the most powerful video card.

I will probably upgrade my graphics card shortly, but overall the sim is smoother and better looking than FSX.

Airbus X Extended, FTX Global, ActiveSky 2012, TrackIR, and Taxi2Gate KMCO. Here's what I've noticed so far:

Hey Cory are you able to comment on the VAS usage with those addons? Ill be disgusted if its higher than 3GB.

Believe it or not.. I just now flew through a cloud for the first time in v2.

Hole-Lee-Cow... You actually.. FLY THROUGH THE CLOUD NOW.. No more  seeing weird straight line cloud polys appear in your window and then just go *poof* disappear as if the cloud never existed..  It's amazing flying through a cloud now.. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors