Sign in to follow this  
DJSean00

How is it?

Rob, yeah.... Me and our 10,000 moderators can do that. :lol:

Actually, I think I just saw you raise your had to volunteer as a moderator and do exactly as you suggest. When can you start tonight?

Be careful folks!  Tom reads the posts like any other...but has the ability to push the 'TOUCHE' button!!!!

Will he respond Tom to the job offering?!?!?    Let me sip my coffee and hang in there a few thread pages or three, LOLOLOLOL!     I'm on the fence right now with do I, or don't I drop the coin. This thread has been a most interesting hang-out since being created.....  Cheers!

The five biggest wins I've found are:

1 The lighting (shadows look very good, HDR bloom and reflections are MUCH improved) - no more nuclear bombs looking into the sun or retina-scorching surface reflections off the wing.

2. Atmospherics (volumetric clouds and fog/haze are easily my favorite new feature in P3D, sky shading / time-of-day color transitions also much improved)

3. Terrain mesh/landclass/autogen placement (all an order of magnitude better than FSX hands down). In many ways this obviates the need for add-ons like UTX...that quality is now delivered to you out-of-the-box and the performance hit for me was next to nil.

4. Very few "blurries" to speak of - and while FPS was across the board, lower, it was unmistakably "smoother" - autogen no longer "pops"  into view nor do I have to sit and pause the sim while textures LOD.

5. Turbulence and "buffeting" effects seem to be a bit less ridiculous. Cloud turbulence seems to be built-in now. It's unclear if this is attributable to tweaks in the Wx engine, flight dynamics, or some combination of both. There's a better sense of actually flying in a volatile current of air.

The five biggest drawbacks for me are:

1. Water effects (absent or very buggy, and also expensive - but to be fair, LM has already acknowledged this).

2. The fidelity of the VC's look very FS9-era both visually and functionally (and in some cases are a step backwards from "stock" FSX). I don't know if it's AA gone amock but the aircraft - inside and out, looks all a bit fuzzy like a caterpillar.

3. Removal of several aircraft, including the 172 which is arguably among the better stock aircraft in FSX, is a bit baffling to me. I have no idea why they would cull the "staple" of every flight sim release going back to the days of SubLogic. That said, the new Mooney is a welcome addition to the bunch. The military craft just look silly and are visually reminiscent of something from the early 2000's. 3D models and texturing are definitely NOT among Lockheed's forte (which is why they really need 3rd party help from the likes of Carenado, PMDG, and what not).

4. Performance has been somewhat vexing (especially compared to XP). I'm finding that in-game FSAA is *significantly* more expensive in P3D than FSX (something is wrong here, I think). Frame rates are much smoother but overall a fair bit lower than FSX (and much lower compared to XP 10.25) w/ comparable settings (which I partly attribute to my beefy CPU being under-utilized and my not-so-beefy GPU not up to being utilized). I'm also finding a smattering of little visual anomalies and artifacts (flickering runway and shoreline textures, the moon not fully textured, occasional z-fighting, etc), but as others are reporting, this may be a general lack of compatibility with ATI cards.

5. Lastly, is the memory footprint and a lack of 64-bits. VAS footprint is concerning to me. I was expecting lower; it's higher. My VAS flying around in stock planes was cresting 3GB which is a step in the wrong direction if P3D wants to be hosting products like PMDG's 777. Unless they address this issue, the T7 will be a non-starter. A move to 64-bits would put this issue to bed...and now is the time to do it - BEFORE bringing a bunch of 32-bit 3rd party wares into the mix.

On the whole, it still feels unremarkably like FSX SP3 (or maybe 4.5 :) - it feels fresh in places and concurrently stale...a hodge podge of decade old tech with a twist of 2014; it's a wide step forward - but not a leap. P3Dv2 is definitely a good start and a unmistakably a move in the right direction, and though encouraging, I'm not sure this is my gen-next sim just yet. I'm sure that my less-than-salivating mixed assessment will pee boldly into some ######'s coffee (really, Tom, fan+boy is censored?) and move others (*cough* n4gix) to brand any opinion to the contrary as "dumb".

How is it?

Very mixed feelings, for me.

I know it will be brilliant, but at the moment it is bugged to the degree that it's just not usable for me.   The mouse cursor is not working on any clickspots, when in Full Screen mode, and the black screen problems are also a killer; having to toggle constantly between windowed mode and full screen.     (I say all of this as a tortured ATI user; I know not everyone is seeing these problems).

I can see the potential for sure, and the shadows, lighting, autogen, etc will all really be a step up.   But personally, I think this has been released prematurely in terms of the black screen bugs, and the mouse cursor / clickspot failure in full screen mode.

I'm on the fence right now with do I, or don't I drop the coin.

Drop $10 on a pro developer license (anyone can elect any of the licensing options they offer). Try it and see!

I would be interested, like so many others I know, how it will perform with some addons:
Mega Airport, FTX Global, PMDG 737, REX bad weather and on a triple monitor setup using a GTX 780 3GB, intel i7 OC`d to 4.5 with everything on an SSD under win 7 64bit.

I guess developler license is an option...but getting everything to run and test...hmmm, couple of hours work :)

Drop $10 on a pro developer license (anyone can elect any of the licensing options they offer). Try it and see!

LM has a 60 day refund policy so he can just buy it and then return it if he doesn't like it.

LM has a 60 day refund policy so he can just buy it and then return it if he doesn't like it.

Twice the reason to try it ^_^

...but getting everything to run and test...hmmm, couple of hours work

Ha ha ....... and the rest.    I'm on 12 hours so far, of constant trial and error.    Mainly ATI-related bugs though it seems....

Well here is my 2 cents worth.  My PC is an i5-2500k OC@4.6G  660ti, 8G 1600mhz ram, SSD drive, on a 42" tv.  1600x1050.   

All sliders maxed EXCEPT the following,

ALL shadows off

Auto gen set to dense

AI traffic set to 47%

30FPS locked and steady, silky smooth, NO pop-ups, gorgeous colors , and clouds. Fogand low vis is incredible!  

My only complaint so far is that the night lighting still pales in comparison to XP10.  Rest of sim is great and improves on all my complaints of FSX.   When 64bit is released this will and should push P3D over the top!!

Rob

Hows V2 with FTX global? FPS?

Check out page 9,i posted FTXG night screens with Max settings and fps counter running a smooth 40-60.

GPU on that machine was GTX 680

The reports that indicate exessive VAS usage (comparing with FSX) are really scary. And it's just a default! This is going to be OOM-saga again once users start to add sceneries, AI-traffic, complex planes.

With FTXG and default settings

attachicon.gif2013-11-25_12-7-14-672.jpg

attachicon.gif2013-11-25_12-7-40-352.jpg

I have to say that the FTXG night scene looks very believable.  Very nice!  I will say that this a very noted step up, if you put an FSX night scene beside this.  Again, very nice. This night shot has put the first smile on my face, lol.

I have to say that the FTXG night scene looks very believable.  Very nice!  I will say that this a very noted step up, if you put an FSX night scene beside this.  Again, very nice. This night shot has put the first smile on my face, lol. I know that if it had been released as the first Microsoft-based 64bit platform, everybody and their brother would have been downloading, right off the get-go, and very little sitting-in-the-bush. I know they are going to do this; It is the only logical step in producing a sim that will no longer be slaved to VAS such as XPX 64 bit is no longer.  I will buy this product, as soon as they release it in the 64 bit zone.  I think that then, it will truly take its place as an evolutionary successor to FSX Legacy.  I can wait, and not reinvest in 32 bit add-ons I already own for FSX, and I know that I will have a huge smile on my face for having done that.  I have no OOM hassles with XPX 64 bit, fully cranked, and will certainly want this in my next purchase of a M.S. based flight sim.  Have fun, guys and gals, and enjoy your exploring..... we're all rooting for ya!