Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

Multi-Platform Pricing Policy Expectations FSX/P3D/Xplane

Gents-

A couple of things:

1) I made a dozen or so posts in this thread disappear because they are unsigned.  Really folks- I recognize that we only implemented this rule fifteen years ago- but you still have to comply. 

2) PMDG is not leaving FSX development, nor are we leaving the sim development community. Please stomp that type of poppycock out when you see it.  It just isn't a consideration.

3) I've seen a few folks express dismay that their license is not universal across platforms. This is something that will be a factor no matter what happens because we have to pay for data to make these products.  The cost to purchase data for an entertainment product is miniscule compared to the costs of the license to make an educational and training product.  Why?  Because that is the way the real world works...  So we will wind up passing those costs along.

Additionally- it is worth considering:  If we are going to move a product to a new platform, we are doing so at our expense.  It is expensive to bring in Xplane enabled coders, P3D enabled coders and to have folks working toward pushing out products on those platforms.  I know that many of our customers have to make tough choices with their simming dollars- and this is why we remain fully committed to the simming community and it is why we are moving in the direction of offering a range of choices.  You will be able to choose the products that best apply to your needs...

And don't forget:  We all started out as simmers too...

We are a big part of this community- and this communiyty is a big part of PMDG.  That is far more important than you realize!

• Upvote 5

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Gents-

A couple of things:

1) I made a dozen or so posts in this thread disappear because they are unsigned.  Really folks- I recognize that we only implemented this rule fifteen years ago- but you still have to comply. 

2) PMDG is not leaving FSX development, nor are we leaving the sim development community. Please stomp that type of poppycock out when you see it.  It just isn't a consideration.

3) I've seen a few folks express dismay that their license is not universal across platforms. This is something that will be a factor no matter what happens because we have to pay for data to make these products.  The cost to purchase data for an entertainment product is miniscule compared to the costs of the license to make an educational and training product.  Why?  Because that is the way the real world works...  So we will wind up passing those costs along.

Additionally- it is worth considering:  If we are going to move a product to a new platform, we are doing so at our expense.  It is expensive to bring in Xplane enabled coders, P3D enabled coders and to have folks working toward pushing out products on those platforms.  I know that many of our customers have to make tough choices with their simming dollars- and this is why we remain fully committed to the simming community and it is why we are moving in the direction of offering a range of choices.  You will be able to choose the products that best apply to your needs...

And don't forget:  We all started out as simmers too...

We are a big part of this community- and this communiyty is a big part of PMDG.  That is far more important than you realize!

Makes perfect sense to me, which is why I am waiting intil Q1 of 2014 to weight my options (and my budget) before deciding on my next platform.

• Upvote 2

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I would like the most realistic possible aircraft and simulation. I like to learn about the aircraft as it is in real life. This is entertaining to me. Which platform/license is right for me?

Don't admit that it's 'entertaining' !  :lol:

we will have to pay AGAIN for a simulator (P3D), surely we will have to pay AGAIN for every single add-on because of licensing

Depends from the type of addon, if you ask me any scenery developer that forces you to pay for Prepar3d V2 license separately is just plain greedy (as at least scenery products should work more or less without need to do any modifications in both simulators). 

Of course I guess then really complex things such as these great aircraft simulations made by PMDG can be totally different thing because of all the legal things involved, however I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to use your average FSX scenery product with Prepar3d without need to pay more.

Regards

Joona L

Additionally- it is worth considering:  If we are going to move a product to a new platform, we are doing so at our expense.  It is expensive to bring in Xplane enabled coders, P3D enabled coders and to have folks working toward pushing out products on those platforms.

I quite agree that it cost money for PMDG to develop on another platform, but I have a question (not getting into the "I want something for free" arguement). I understand that PMDG EULA because of licencing agreements but my question is regards the extra coding. It was my understanding that P3D was basically FSX code but enhanced, with that in mind, how much extra work is it to get an FSX addon to work in P3D. I have done some research and a good many of developers have released a FSX / P3D product. I have even seen post of people running PMDG's NGX on P3D, I'm not 100% because I don't have P3D, but I would like to know how much work would be needed to get the 777 running in P3D compared to FSX. Surely any additional features would be the same as an update to the FSX version. 

I admit that I may just bypass P3D to go to X-Plane as I see that as a viable future. I understand that if PMDG release aircraft for that then it would be like buying a new product. I also understand PMDG's point of view about P3D having a academic licence and as such so should all addons, I was just curious.

Damn, I stop visiting for a few days and whammo! :)

Okay, here's my $0.02 worth (increasing based on the pricing wording used in RSR's post):

- FSX is dead. MS have pulled the plug on it.

- P3D is the way to go...its probably FSX v2 BUT its continually being developed/enhanced. For me, thats the plus. I'm all about using the latest technology (mostly, I still like my DC6).

- I will be purchasing the academic version of P3D v2 for about $60. Nice...cheaper than FSX initially. I'm assuming I will be purchasing the PMDG B737 for P3D when it eventually gets released for say $70. The rest, I'll try and port over from FSX.

All in all, I'm not too fussed. So much anger and angst. Its like the old FSX vs FS9 heated discussions, lol.

Way to go PMDG....onwards and upwards I always say. I look forward to having only P3D on my PC and getting constant updates from LM into the future.

• Upvote 1

my question is regards the extra coding. It was my understanding that P3D was basically FSX code but enhanced, with that in mind, how much extra work is it to get an FSX addon to work in P3D. I have done some research and a good many of developers have released a FSX / P3D product. I have even seen post of people running PMDG's NGX on P3D, I'm not 100% because I don't have P3D, but I would like to know how much work would be needed to get the 777 running in P3D compared to FSX. Surely any additional features would be the same as an update to the FSX version. 

It is not just a question of coding.

While principially, things should work, there are changes and the more complex the product is, the more likely it is to break when you move from FSX to P3D 1 or even P3D 2.

So even in the best case - if everything works - you will still have to test it extensively.

I think there are going to be a whole lot of folks who wish they had purchased the Professional License rather than the Academic, when products are released.

I think there are going to be a whole lot of folks who wish they had purchased the Professional License rather than the Academic, when products are released.

I think that to.

I feel that there are going to be features not enabled for the academic version.

If they think it makes the most business sense to only sell fully featured products to the commercial market and the other 10 of you that just like the word "Pro" then so be it   :lol:

Regards,

Brian Doney

I don't think that PMDG will restrict on different versions of P3D.  I think it is more likely they will release different versions of the Aircraft, like Majestic have done with the Q400.  So if you are a commercial pilot doing some home practice you'll buy the pilot edition (you should also have the $199 commercial P3D license).  The version for FSX will be the "entertainment" version and there'll likely be a professional version.

I expect the surprise will come in the pricing.  The FSX aircraft from PMDG are now close to $100, the P3D versions are very likely to clear that hurdle.

Anyway it's all speculation i'm in no hurry to move, FSX is working great, looks great and has a great selection of aircraft thanks to the many add-on companies.

Ian R Tyldesley

Whether or not PMDG is developing for P3D has no effect whatsoever on the licensing of P3D to its end users.  P3D is not licensed to be used by the vast majority of those reading this forum.  I don't have a second cousin in a scenery company, nor am I legal counsel for anyone.  I can, however, read.  EULA's are designed to tell end users (that's us) the terms of use in a format that can be understood by people without J.D. in their title.  I am also highly confident in my ability to discern the legal definitions of "home entertainment" and "consumer use."

PMDG may be developing for P3D.  This is good news for them and good news for us in that one of the prime providers of add-ons for our hobby will thrive and continue to make products for us - on FSX and XP.  

signed - Michael J Lawrence

pmdg_j41_banner.jpg

The future has spoken.