Sign in to follow this  
ntme9

V2- Still no quad core or SLI optimization

Ok I added,

[JobScheduler]

AffinintyMask=84

to the top of the cfg file is this correct? I am now seeing usage from 4 cores and very very little on the multi threads but it still right about 25% usage.

So you CAN get it to use the other cores but NOT (key word) optimally. Cheers

This is from LM's WBard in AVSIM's own QA piece:

1. Does hyper-threading benefit P3Dv2?

We’ve made Prepar3D v2 more multi-thread aware, and the legacy affinity mask tweaks still can apply if you have other cores to help the simulation.

1. Finally, can you give us a high level view of where you intend to advance P3D in future releases – a high level product roadmap?

That is a great question.  We cannot comment too much on or promise unreleased features or plans, but we are committed to Prepar3D v2.  With our new patching system, we can release patches more frequently than before and customers won’t have to do a full re-install with each new version of Prepar3D v2.  As far as potential for future features go, we are currently looking into cloud shadows, radar modes, oculus integration, exposing more information to addon developers, true SLI and Crossfire support for multiple graphics cards, additional performance across multiple views, as well as a very robust memory management system that helps give users the control over their memory in the simulation that they need.

I would like to address your original post: We just spent 8 years on an extremely buggy engine in FSX that used antiquated code that leaned almost exclusively on the CPU. Now (finally) we've gotten our wish of an updated platform that has been optimized to take advantage of today's hardware specifically those beefy expensive GPU's that have been wasting away doing very little under the legacy engine. The whole purpose of V2 was to take the load off the CPU so please don't start complaining how it's not using it "optimally." Do you even know what "optimal" proc usage is for the platform? Or do you just want to see your little WIndows 7 gadget gauge read 100%?  Also, it was reported, discussed, and hair split endlessly that SLI WOULD NOT be implemented in V2.0 but would be part of future releases.

skywolf, on 25 Nov 2013 - 3:05 PM, said:

Please see my earlier thread titled Joystick and Cores.  I posted it last night.  By default P3D2 was utilizing 3 cores and I did place the affinity tweak to get all 4 cores running.

That's good and all but it doesn't need the 4th core because it cant even utilize the first 3 optimally.

29% cpu usage, 63% gpu usage, and 40fps. facepalm

I don't mean to harp on it but dang if you are going to go to all this trouble on this sim, fix the core issues (no pun intended) not just focus on the pretty's (dx11).  It does look good tho, and the mere fact that object popin was fixed is awesome.

It sucks because this sim will basically be useless for me till 2.1 with SLI support drops...  GTX690 (SLI on single card)

I would like to address your original post: We just spent 8 years on an extremely buggy engine in FSX that used antiquated code that leaned almost exclusively on the CPU. Now (finally) we've gotten our wish of an updated platform that has been optimized to take advantage of today's hardware specifically those beefy expensive GPU's that have been wasting away doing very little under the legacy engine. The whole purpose of V2 was to take the load off the CPU so please don't start complaining how it's not using it "optimally." Do you even know what "optimal" proc usage is for the platform? Or do you just want to see your little WIndows 7 gadget gauge read 100%?  Also, it was reported, discussed, and hair split endlessly that SLI WOULD NOT be implemented in V2.0 but would be part of future releases.

No insult intended. Yes I do know what optimal proc usage looks like. I am new to this forum but have been around other enthusiast forums and have done plenty of benchmarking for some time now to be able to identify a still poorly (for quad) optimized program. Don't get your panties in a wad, jk. Its true I have not followed every post about the development of this sim (too many other interests).

How are the process handled by the cpu? It seems like one thread handles the cpu to gpu data with the rest (AI and scenery loading) handled by the others. cheers

Did you set affinity mask? Its using all 8 of my cores

Lol you still have to manually set affinity mask?

Then what is all the multi-core optimization they talk about all about?

Squishy, on 25 Nov 2013 - 4:02 PM, said:

Back off! Its 2 1/2 core optimized now. JK

On what planet did anyone from Lockheed-Martin ever talk about multi-core optimization?

They talked about (and implemented) multi-thread optimization.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Oh boy... here we go again.  Here's a reality check:  What is the difference between multi-core and multi-thread?

All applications that are "multi-core" utilize threads to accomplish this.  Period.  There is absolutely no other way for a single application (which is a thread) to become "multi-core" without utilizing multiple threads.

The only aspect you can bring up that could be construed as "different" is how said threads utilize the available physical versus virtual cores.

That's it!

So enough of the absurd claims that Prepar3D is not a "multi-core" application. 

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

So enough of the absurd claims that Prepar3D is not a "multi-core" application. 

Enough of the absurd claims that anyone on this topic said it wasn't.

Threads/cores bla bla.  4cores/8threads on a 4770k. 4cores/4threads on a 4670k.

Either way V2 will only utilize 3 threads optimally. Now you can move the workload around with a-mask but it wont do much unless you have background apps. Max usage with a 4770k is 37.5% and will be 75% with a 4670k.

Intel's Core i7, i5, and i3 series can handle 2 threads per core*, so any i7 quad-core model could handle 8 threads.

*hyper-threading, but it's rather limited in its utility.

AMD's Athon, Phenom, Sempron, and Opteron chips, on the other hand, are designed around a 1-thread-per-core model.

But, you know that already I'm quite sure.

EDIT: struck out incorrect information

Fr. Bill    

Intel's Core i7, i5, and i3 series can handle 2 threads per core, so any quad-core model could handle 8 threads. Intel also supports hyper-threading, but it's rather limited in its utility.

AMD's Athon, Phenom, Sempron, and Opteron chips, on the other hand, are designed around a 1-thread-per-core model.

I thought the i5 and i3s only had one thread per core, and it was the hyperthreading (exclusive to i7 on desktop processors) which gave the i7s two threads per core?  :Thinking:

n4gix, on 25 Nov 2013 - 6:30 PM, said:

Intel's Core i7, i5, and i3 series can handle 2 threads per core, so any quad-core model could handle 8 threads. Intel also supports hyper-threading, but it's rather limited in its utility.

You sure about all that? http://ark.intel.com/products/75047/

I thought the i5 and i3s only had one thread per core, and it was the hyperthreading (exclusive to i7 on desktop processors) which gave the i7s two threads per core?  :Thinking:

You are correct. I've checked numerous places and found many answers, many of which are incorrect...

This site however appears to have everything correct:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i5_2500k_and_core_i7_2600k_review,2.html

Fr. Bill    

It's not like hyperthreading is going to do much even if P3d ever does make use of it. Minimal gains in the vast majority of games.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Dave_YVR, on 25 Nov 2013 - 7:28 PM, said:

It's not like hyperthreading is going to do much even if P3d ever does make use of it. Minimal gains in the vast majority of games.

Hyper threading is just saying 2 threads in 1 core. Its not that most games don't use hyper threading its that the vast majority don't use more than 4 threads. If P3D made use of 4 threads optimally it would help a bunch. But it only uses 3 optimally. Hell I wish it ran on 8 threads!