Sign in to follow this  
ntme9

V2- Still no quad core or SLI optimization

Let me share my probably special situation with you then. On my system P3Dv2 uses one cpu core ONLY!!! I have no idea why.

I tried every setting that is possible frm max to low but turning down the eye candy only released the pressure from the GPU but the cpu usage remained one core only. Then I thought, ok, new dog old tricks, so affinitymask=14.

Nothing changed cpu usage still the same one at max rest is basicly parked.

Next step...affinitymask=15 lets see if forcing 4 cores is better, guess what it wasn't although it changed the maxed out core (by default it was core1 after this core0).

I'm sitting here scratching my head with a vanilla p3D running 7fps when running a max benchmark (17-28 when using the exact same settings as my fsx.cfg...) and a heavily "addonized" fsx running at 45-100fps propely and fully using the 3 cores with AM 14...

Hyper threading is just saying 2 threads in 1 core. Its not that most games don't use hyper threading its that the vast majority don't use more than 4 threads. If P3D made use of 4 threads optimally it would help a bunch. But it only uses 3 optimally. Hell I wish it ran on 8 threads!

No, hyperthreading is saying two active threads in 1 core.  For some reason you believe that FS is using only three threads.  Are you basing that on the fact that you only see three cores showing more activity?

Do you realize it's good programming practice to make threads go to "sleep" when they're not doing anything so as to free up system resources for other threads/applications?  If you have a single application that's utilizing 100% of multiple cores, it's poorly written.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

No, hyperthreading is saying two active threads in 1 core.  For some reason you believe that FS is using only three threads.  Are you basing that on the fact that you only see three cores showing more activity?

Do you realize it's good programming practice to make threads go to "sleep" when they're not doing anything so as to free up system resources for other threads/applications?  If you have a single application that's utilizing 100% of multiple cores, it's poorly written.

I am basing that off of people reporting there cpu usage. Max I have seen for 8 thread cpus is 37.5% and max for 4 thread cpus is 75%.

3/8= 37.5%

3/4= 75%

TrailBlazer, on 25 Nov 2013 - 8:48 PM, said:TrailBlazer, on 25 Nov 2013 - 8:48 PM, said:TrailBlazer, on 25 Nov 2013 - 8:48 PM, said:TrailBlazer, on 25 Nov 2013 - 8:48 PM, said:

And just to visually clarify here is the hw monitor chart.

lpue.jpg

It looks like you have a 4core/8thread cpu. It also looks like you are using ~100% of 2 threads or one (HT core) and averaging about 33% on 3 more threads. so that's 100+100+33+33+33=299/8= ~37.5% cpu usage or 100% of 3 threads worth of power. Your cpu is the bottle neck. Turn off traffic and autogen, see if that helps.  

Edit: after looking at it again you have one thread steady at 30%. That's odd, is there another program running in the background?

Edit: math

CPU activitly level does not represent how many threads are active on said CPU.  I really can't believe you think that.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

WarpD, on 25 Nov 2013 - 9:52 PM, said:

CPU activitly level does not represent how many threads are active on said CPU.  I really can't believe you think that.

I think that P3D can only use 3 threads worth of computing power that's all. I don't understand why that is though. 

I think that P3D can only use 3 threads worth of computing power that's all. I don't understand why that is though. 

As I've already stated, what you think is a 'thread'... isn't.  Prepar3D spawns multiple threads while it's running.  They all run as they are needed, and when they have nothing to do, they are put to sleep.

A core isn't a thread.  Please stop even considering that.  On my system I see five cores being utilized, one at 50% and the rest varying to some degree except core 0 which is reserved primarily for the OS.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Why is it that 4c/8t cpus seem to max out at 37.5% and 4c/4t cpus max out at 75%? That's what grabbed my attention, consistency between different cpus. Like I said before I dont understand why but its seem like consistent observation. 

The 'why' really isn't important... my system doesn't even hit 20%... but I can tell you that Prepar3D 2.0 is far, far more multi-core optimized than either FSX, Prepar3D 1.x or X-Plane.

The one thing I really noticed with this new version... my drive access is WAAAY down.  FSX is well known for beating a hard drive to death and Prepar3D 1.x wasn't much better in that department.  However, with Prepar3D 2 I'm seeing a much lower drive access level.

With X-Plane... I got horrible performance on my system and my CPU is an i7 990 Extreme.  I have no idea why, but there it is.

I can crank this new Prepar3D with all scenery sliders maxxed and it's not too bad... and my video card's a mere NVidia 660.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Interesting, 20%.  You have a 6c/12t cpu 3/12=25%.  I bet you wont ever see more than 25% usage with your cpu. And yes I agree it is much better.

Do you think the cpu is still the bottle neck, albeit much better? I think P3D needs the ability to access more power from the cpu. particularly for cpu to gpu data. A common usage for me is 30%cpu 60%gpu 40-60fps. What does your gpu usage look like? The only way I am able to get 100% gpu usage is if I turn off all of the CPU heavy features (Traffic/autogen).

My apologies for leaving out the most relevant information :)

So no multi threading here this ehy I used 14 and 15 for AM instead of e.g. 255.

I have a 4670k @4.4ghz and an OCed 7950, 8 gb of 2133mhz ram. Single monitor 1080p setup.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Interesting, 20%.  You have a 6c/12t cpu 3/12=25%.  I bet you wont ever see more than 25% usage with your cpu. And yes I agree it is much better.

Do you think the cpu is still the bottle neck, albeit much better? I think P3D needs the ability to access more power from the cpu. particularly for cpu to gpu data. A common usage for me is 30%cpu 60%gpu 40-60fps. What does your gpu usage look like? The only way I am able to get 100% gpu usage is if I turn off all of the CPU heavy features (Traffic/autogen).

Well, you would be wrong and lose that bet.  Prepar3D can bring the total CPU usage to 50-60%, it just doesn't stay up there constantly.  The CPU isn't the bottleneck, and just to be really clear... you're comparing simplistic games against a complex simulation.  It's not a valid approach at all.  Aside from displaying graphics, they have little else in common code-wise.  This is not a first-person-shooter and it's world is global, not a single game out there has the same size scenery by any stretch of the imagination.

At this point, I will state I believe amount of video memory is the bottleneck for most people.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Also I guess there were something in the background as well that caused the other cores to work, but I repeated the process multiple times and always the same result one core maxed out th rest is below 40ish percent. In comparison fsx maxes out 3 cores at AM 14 and this is how it should be, the workload should be equally divided between the cores.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk