Sign in to follow this  

No vsync: tearing spoils it all right now

After some initial disappointments and some initial happy moments I think that I can say P3D could be a keeper (because 1. the autogen doesn't popup anymore (yihaaa!), 2. texture loading is clearly better, 3. VC shadows are great (better than with the DX10 Fixer in FSX because they are more clear and obvious, which I love) and 4. if performance is good (and my settings are moderate), it is utterly and totally smooth)...

...BUT...

there is ONE thing that's spoiling the entire experience at this moment: the lack of Vsync. It just won't work on my GTX580. And I don't only have terrible tearing but also the associated 'wobbling' of everything I see down there. It's bloody awful.

Anyone else here who had the same problem but managed to fix it? If this can be fixed I think P3D is a keeper, even though I am slightly disappointed that I can't use all those great shadow options which I was looking forward too... but that was to be expected so I won't moan about that too much. 

Oh, almost forgot... AA is also rather crappy. It's not on par with what I had with FSX. Too many moving pixels in the distance and that's with the highest possible ingame settings (flying at 1920x1080). So if you know how to solve that too, please tell!

I don't have v2 but...I assume that the VSync and AA issues may be the fact that P3D is not running in native full screen but rather in window mode masked in some way to appear as full screen. This may be the cause of you problems.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Agreed.....in game AA is crappy. I havent tried Inspector yet though.

Vsync doesnt appear to work very well for me either. Plus, I dont see any option to set 1/2 refresh rate?

Might have to try forcing through Inspector as well........

The failure of v2 to have vsync and AA of the driver, is in fact due to the fact that P3Dv2 is not supported by Nvidia, yet. No settings you apply via NI will affect the sim. They will affect the v1, but not v2. You will have to rely on the in-game settings only for now, which are, as you discovered, crappy at best.

Have you tried:

ForceWindowedVSynch=1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I was going to start a post about these very same issues earlier this morning, but I thought it best to sit on my thoughts for a bit (they were trending a bit negative).  So I'm glad it's been brought up.

I'm running a ATI 6970.

1) Lack of vsync results in any of the single engine prop planes being almost unbearable to me - tearing of the image occurs in the prop blur.  The rest of the screen while panning around is bearable, as are any of the jets (no props).  I have tied the old legacy FSX vsync tweaks, to no avail.

2) I also dislike the in-game AA settings.  They're okayish, but I even at max MSAA and with FXAA enabled I see moving lines in the scenery, and cockpit gauges (especially in the A36) are unreadable while zoomed out.  I am completely unable to affect the AA settings through the AMD software (in FSX I normally have SSx4 on, I really, really miss that).

don't have v2 but...I assume that the VSync and AA issues may be the fact that P3D is not running in native full screen but rather in window mode masked in some way to appear as full screen. This may be the cause of you problems.

This does seem to cause certain issues - would explain the vsync issue, but also certain in-game flicker and lag, and the few bugs I have seen as below -

I have a few bugs that I have yet to see reported:

1) After a certain amount of faffing about with settings and such, I lose the ability to click anywhere in the VC with the mouse, but only in 'full screen' mode; going back to windowed mode lets the mouse work, but then going back to 'full screen' mode kills it again.

2) I've had occurrences where going into the display settings and back out causes my fps to drop, as if I was in windowed mode.  Actually switching to windowed mode, then back to 'full screen', restores my fps.

So far, I'm not a fan of this pseudo 'full screen' mode.

I've had a heck of a time trying to test settings for acceptable performance.  At times I get very good performance; achieving 40 fps in the default starting area with 'one step from the right' display settings, and only cockpit shadows.  At other times, performance tanks, 15 fps or so.  At other times, it sits in the middle - 22 to 28 fps, but very very fluid and smooth.  All with the same settings, in the same area.  Nothing in the background on my pc (I'm careful to notice - it's had FSX running well on it for a long time).  It would seem that there's more gong on behind the scenes that makes it very hard to benchmark a certain set of settings.

I have noticed that it utilizes my gpu very well - I was getting 95 - 99% use.  At the same time, it's also distributing use across the last 3 cores of my CPU rather effectively.

Another note, after extensive mucking about in the settings, a few times my performance has utterly tanked - the only fix was to delete the P3D cfg file and let the sim rebuild it.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Since I am one of those guys who also always had problems with vsync in the pseudo-fullscreen mode for FSX, I am beginning to fear it has something to do with the combination of my hardware... somehow. It seems my PC can't handle this kind of pseudo fullscreen mode. If that's so, I am screwed because there is no way you can enable a normal fullscreen mode in Prepar3D. I am really afraid this might be the case. It would mean the end of P3D for me.

It seems my PC can't handle this kind of pseudo fullscreen mode. If that's so, I am screwed because there is no way you can enable a normal fullscreen mode in Prepar3D. I am really afraid this might be the case. It would mean the end of P3D for me.

I hear you.  I didn't have sky high, unrealistic expectations of what P3D was going to do, but I did hope it was going to work, at least somewhat reasonably, out of the box.  This doesn't seem to be the case, at least not yet.

Now I'm puzzling over the idea of upgrading to a 780 or a 780ti in hopes of getting some better performance and resolving what seems to be some incompatibilities with my video card or just sticking with FSX for the time being.  At least if I upgrade and still end up sticking with FSX, I can take comfort in the knowledge that I won't have to rely on shader hacks in order to get decent performance in clouds.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I don't have any tearing. Even with the vsync turned off in the settings. Strange.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

No full screen? So glad I held back. Still watching, waiting. B)

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I don't have any tearing. Even with the vsync turned off in the settings. Strange.

I see you have a nVidia GPU;  is the lack of vsync not ATI GPU related?

Change your graphics settings. Go to Nvidia's website and chose 3 versions lower than the current one they show.. which is not old. Nvidia has got into the habit of coming upo with a new version almost every 3 weeks now. Or so.

Same for me. At least not yet.

I see you have a nVidia GPU;  is the lack of vsync not ATI GPU related?

No, it clearly isn't. Making things complicated is the fact that some do have vsync and others don't, even with the same driver. I really don't feel like buying a GTX780 for P3D only to find out I still have no vsync and terrible tearing. But since the problem seems rather random (some have it, some don't) there is no way of figuring what it causing this. Which leaves my kinda stuck. I don't want to keep P3D with this vsync problem but I also don't want to spend 500 bucks for nothing.

according to P3D Support  Aero needs to be enabled to get vsync to work..

.. just enabled it .. and they are right ;-)

Edit ..

WOW!!    Enbaling Aero Made My Day !!!  Go for it!

Joerg Alvermann
Win10 Pro 64Bit - i9-9900KS - GTX980Ti 6GB - 5760x1200