Sign in to follow this  
GEC777F

Livery request: Lufthansa Cargo 777 Freighter

Recently I have uploaded an updated version for my Lufthansa Cargo 777F repaints. Fixed are the decals for the pitot sensors on the tail rudder, which a painted white in reality and not black. D-ALFC is still pending and unfortunately I have no idea about the configuration or source where to gather that information.

There is a guy on A.net who flies the 747s for LH, but until recently he was with Cargo on the MD-11, perhaps he has some friends over at the T7. Shall I ask?

Sure go ahead! I probably know who you have got on your mind.

Maye you are succesful. Thanks for the offer.

Thanks! Best paint I found so far :-)
However, is there still a fleet package painted by mcnobody?

I did a paint if you're interested. :)

Hi John!

Thanks for sharing! I tested your livery for D-ALFD last monday (I think it was).

It looked very good, but I have one remark and one (important!) question:

1. Remark:

You said you are using a 2K texture (instead of 4K?) as this would have a positive effect on VAS. I did so too with the liveries of A/Cs I flew back in early FS9 days to improve overall FS performance. (Texture reduction from 1k (1024 square pixels) to 1/2k (512 square pixels)). 

The lower resolution on D-ALFD lead on my system to the typical blur on textures if the viewing angle is extremely small. E.g. looking from the front view you will notice that the Lufthansa Crane on the tail fin looks blurred.

IMO low res textures for better performance is a good idea, but I don't know if there is still such a huge improvement like it was in FS9?

2. Question:

During the "Lufthansa_Cargo_77F_D-ALFD.ptp" install the PMDG OPS center asked if overwriting the existing "D-ALFD" would be o.k. I confirmed that because there was no D-ALFD. BUT WHAT ACTUALLY happened was that D-ALFA (PMDG original) was overwritten by your texture, including the aircraft ini. (!)

Since Nov13/Dec13/Mar14 I have also installed the three great textures by Christian Mohr  (as D-ALFA1, D-ALFB, D-ALFC) and there was no such problem.

SO: (if you did not change it already) please change the aircraft callsign of your ptp file accordingly to D-ALFD, in order to not let the people have this kind of problem who have already installed the PMDG D-ALFA.

Thanks for your great work and dedication to the continuation of the LH T7F fleet! B)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=W-hs-AAjoto

Hi Claus,

I've checked my paints at all angles and have never noticed any blur. Sorry you're seeing that. Is it bad? I decided to shrink my textures mainly because they're easier to work with, and 4096x4096 in my opinion are overkill. I am not sure if the footprint on the VAS is any different as it appears the .dds file might be the same size as the larger resolution files.

I can't comment on why your PMDG textures were overwritten. It installs in a folder called texture.alfd so should have zero effect on the PMDG texture which is installed as texture.lh from memory? (I don't have it installed) and there is no reference to D-ALHA in my aicraft.cfg entry

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Sorry you're seeing that. Is it bad? I decided to shrink my textures mainly because they're easier to work with, and 4096x4096 in my opinion are overkill. I am not sure if the footprint on the VAS is any different as it appears the .dds file might be the same size as the larger resolution files.

The blur is not bad as it only occurs on the tail fin crane bird at very narrow viewing angles form straight front and back view. If it helps for improved FS performance the positive effect outweighs this little downside

It installs in a folder called texture.alfd so should have zero effect on the PMDG texture which is installed as texture.lh from memory? (I don't have it installed) and there is no reference to D-ALHA in my aicraft.cfg entry

As I said: while installing your ptp file the PMDG control center asks for permission to overwrite D-ALFD although there is no D-ALFD installed yet. After the installation there is no new D-ALFD inside FSX but PMDG D-ALFA is replaced by your repaint (with FSX callsign D-ALFA) which also replaces the original PMDG "D-ALFA.ini".

The original textures might be still there, but you can not have both PMDG D-ALFA and your D-ALFD  installed via the OPS center as it is by definition the same A/C...

I don't know how *.ptp files are compiled, but there must be a further notation process for the distinction of callsigns.

Greetings,

Claus B)

As I said: while installing your ptp file the PMDG control center asks for permission to overwrite D-ALFD although there is no D-ALFD installed yet. After the installation there is no new D-ALFD inside FSX but PMDG D-ALFA is replaced by your repaint (with FSX callsign D-ALFA) which also replaces the original PMDG "D-ALFA.ini".

The original textures might be still there, but you can not have both PMDG D-ALFA and your D-ALFD installed via the OPS center as it is by definition the same A/C...

I don't know how *.ptp files are compiled, but there must be a further notation process for the distinction of callsigns.

Hi Claus,

The problem is caused by both liveries having the same title: PMDG 777F Lufthansa Cargo.

You can fix the problem yourself by doing the following procedure:

1. Using the OC, uninstall both PMDG LH and John's D-ALFD liveries

2. Just to be sure, remove any files named either D-ALFA.ini or D-ALFD.ini in PMDG\PMDG 777X\Aircraft and its Backup sub-folder.

3. Install John's D-ALFD from the PTP file (it should install into folder texture.D-ALFD)

4. Open the aircraft.cfg file for the 777F and edit the title (append D-ALFD for example) for John's livery.

5. Now you can install the PMDG DLH 777F livery too without any conflict.

Of course if you ever need to reinstall liveries you will need to remember to do this again. You can avoid this by exporting the modified D-ALFD livery installation. That creates a PTP file you can install directly from. You export by right clicking the livery entry in the livery manager. Be sure to make any changes to the aircraft configuration option you want first. For example John's livery does not select metric units, both liveries have an AOA indication on the PFD which shouldn't be there.

Cheers,

Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

One other thing to consider. FSX keeps a record of which liveries have been loaded, and edited in the FSX details window, in various state.cfg files. This can cause it to get confused because the way the OC changes the order of fltsim.x entries in the aircraft.cfg file when you add new liveries. That can cause the wrong atc_id (N number) to be loaded with the livery and mean the wrong options get selected.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Ahh makes sense Kevin. I had a look before work and you're right. The title name was wrong. I missed that.. I usually change the title too. Thanks :)

Any feedback on the colours? I've never seen a LH bird in the flesh, so had to wing my way through the colour selections.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

You can avoid this by exporting the modified D-ALFD livery installation. That creates a PTP file you can install directly from. You export by right clicking the livery entry in the livery manager.

Hi Kevin,

thank you very much for this great advice. This is really useful for archiving all the custom changes in liveries if a re-install inside the PMDG OPS center is needed in future.

FSX keeps a record of which liveries have been loaded, and edited in the FSX details window, in various state.cfg files. This can cause it to get confused because the way the OC changes the order of fltsim.x entries in the aircraft.cfg file when you add new liveries. That can cause the wrong atc_id (N number) to be loaded with the livery and mean the wrong options get selected.

So this is the reason why my NGX callsigns get "scrambled" after installing/changing a e.g. 738WL via the PMDG OPS center. There must be a "hiccup" in my FSX list you call "various state.cfg files". 

Is there a way to edit "state.cfg files" (I did not find according "state"-files in the FSX folders) in order to get it back in sync with the aircraft.cfg?

Thank you very much again for the great help! B)