Sign in to follow this  
Peter Z KCLE_EDDN

Muddy looking, textures not sharp

Hi there,

to celebrate my intro to P3D period (yes, complete P3D neewb), I purchased a pro license for V2 last night. And while I'm still in awe about the cockpit lighting effects, I apparently have some texture issues. My settings in P3D are pretty much default.

I was wondering if anyone would know why my textures are extremely muddy looking? I don't think they're blurry, at least not in a way FSX made textures blurry, they're just not sharp. I'm also having a hard time with the vc cockpit textures, they're pretty hard to read, again they look very blurred (numbers only - eg. airspeed indicator).

I've tried to play with the various internal P3D settings, but they didn't make anything look sharper, although some of the settings helped a bit with shimmering I'm seeing in the distance. I have also tried various Nvidia inspector settings (incl. enhance and override FSAA and/or sparse grid supersampling) but I don't see a change in texture appearance, neither good or bad.

I know I have a lowly videocard, but I do have the most recent NVidia drivers installed. I'm also running a modest overclock to 4.5.

I'm so new to P3D that I don't even know where to look for (or if there is) an equivalent fsx.cfg in P3D, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Pete

System:

I5-2500 oc'd 4.5 ghz

GTX 570 not oc'd

4GB 1600MHZ DDR3

Windows 7 - 64bit

Gigabyte Z68-UD4-F3

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

Turn off FXAA in the options.

I have the same problem and that did not help either . I have the GTX 560ti 2Gig . Not only is the VC dark and the gauges hard to read I also get the shaky lines from hell around the gauges and G1000 while in motion,but only from the addon airplanes from Carenado and such. Any straight line in and around a gauge or gps is shaky and reminds me of a barber's light that appears to be turning in a screw like motion. Even the lines on the Artificial horizon go wonky and vibrate. The general idea I am getting from everyone is to just disable all the nice features but then I have version 1,4 again? 

It would be nice to see the settings for someone who has a mid range card and has at least one or two features from V2 enabled at a decent FPS and a little bit brighter VC. Anyways , I am not giving up yet even if it is pretty crappy for me out of the box :(

Trev

Trev,

What you're describing is exactly what I'm seeing. I guess my lowly video card (only 1.2 gb) just doesn't cut it.

I'm glad with the new version and more and more devs supporting it, our flightsim future is a whole lot brighter than it was 5 years ago or so. I just wish I could get this to run a bit smoother and nicer looking on my current setup.

I'll keep scanning the LM forums for tips as well.

Cheers,

Pete

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

Hi,

I added

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=244    ...  (244=hyperthreading on, 14 = hyperthreading off)

to my Prepar3D.cfg and this resolved the Problem.

Bruno

Hi,

I added

[JOBSCHEDULER]

Bruno

I haven't tried that but I read somewhere else that you don't need that anymore since ver 2 utilizes multicore processors out of the box. Hmm, I guess it can't hurt to try ....Thanks 

Trev,

What you're describing is exactly what I'm seeing. I guess my lowly video card (only 1.2 gb) just doesn't cut it.

I'm glad with the new version and more and more devs supporting it, our flightsim future is a whole lot brighter than it was 5 years ago or so. I just wish I could get this to run a bit smoother and nicer looking on my current setup.

I'll keep scanning the LM forums for tips as well.

Cheers,

Pete

Hi Pete 

I think you are correct sir. I just upgraded my video card too , or so I thought lol. I too will not give up I just hope I don't have to disable all the cool features. :(

Did AffinityMask help? I did turn off FXAA and got a slightly better Image, but still not good enough... The Image sharpens when zooming in. Anyone new ideas on how to improve the lack of sharpness?

Cheers,

Loïc

Hi,

I added

[JOBSCHEDULER]

Bruno

i dont think the i5 2500 has HT

I have the i5 2500k and use affinitymask 14

Check out the settings rob ainscough posted on his site. Try the "best compromise" settings.

I think your vid card is a bottleneck. 

-Roland