Sign in to follow this  
gura75

VOR/DME EGCC 23 R

Hi

I'm trying to program FMC pmdg 737 vor/dme egcc 23R approach. Attached picture shows the chart. What seems to be problematic is how to program it after  MCT D12.3 turning heading 003. Any suggestion on how to program this kind of approach,....I will use VOR lock when doing turn to radial 228. 

My approach would be based on Baltic Aviation Academy simulation with an older 737:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RzCB6ZcTLA

According to what they say during the simulation the last fmc point seems to be MCT D12.3....so after that there is maybe only RWY 23 R point?  

Sincerely

Geir

It's a procedure turn, so you'd be best to fly the outbound and inbound parts of the turn using HDG SEL mode, referencing the DME reading to know when to start. Some operators require you to fly non-precision approaches in heading select mode anyway, and not use VOR LOC to track approach courses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not sure this can be programmed at all (by pilot) though i may be wrong. I would need to sit at an FMC to be sure. Anyway you could either fly it by hand (or by simpler AP modes) or use the one that should be in the database.

It's a procedure turn, so you'd be best to fly the outbound and inbound parts of the turn using HDG SEL mode, referencing the DME reading to know when to start. Some operators require you to fly non-precision approaches in heading select mode anyway, and not use VOR LOC to track approach courses.

Non-precision in HDG SEL? Who does that and why?

Matt Cee

Since its' a non-precision I presume they can manually operate the autopilot modes. What seems to be hard to understand is how to program the FMC. I tend to get "route discontinuity" when I add the RWY 23 point in FMC just after MCT D12.3. I'm not sure if this the way it's done....according to the youtube the pilots manually operate the autopilot modes down to MDA then they take over visually. It's an hard and demanding approach. But it's fun. You learn a lot. But still... i'm not sure if I can fly with "route discontinuity" in the fmc. Any thoughts on that?

Non-precision in HDG SEL? Who does that and why?

Hmmm. To tell you the truth, I can't remember. It's embedded in my brain for some reason, but only God knows where from. Maybe I'm thinking of NDB/DME approaches, but it would make sense to keep your SOPS the same for all NPA's so maybe I'm not totally deluded :D

,....I will use VOR lock when doing turn to radial 228.

The mode is just VOR.  A lot of people accidentally assume the /LOC afterwards is related (means "VOR lock" or similar), when it's not.  It's VOR mode, but since it's there to simply track navaids in a lateral plane, it's also used to track LOCalizers.  As such, it's VOR or LOCalizer mode, or VOR/LOC.  Not a big deal, but I figured I'd point it out :wink:

As far as the actual "programming" goes, it's actually not approved (unless approved via company OpSpecs) to hand-enter approaches into the FMC.  Moreover, it's not approved to fly a VOR/DME approach using GPS/FMC (unless approved via company OpSpecs).  GPS/FMC may only be used to monitor the approach, so, unless you're pulling the approach up out of the database (via the DEP/ARR pages), don't even both with the FMC.  Huge simism (and even a real world issue, too), where people spend 10 minutes trying to punch things into the FMC while you can save time by simply ignoring it.

Kyle Rodgers