Sign in to follow this  
TrafficPilot

Just Flight Revolution-X - this looks brilliant for UK Photo Scenery

Does anyone know of a way to change, tweak or modify any of the autogen? For instance, I live in a tiny village with a small chapel yet Rev-X displays it almost as a cathedral. I don't know if it's possible to alter it at all, for me, it's things like this and random huge buildings on housing estates, that keep Rev-X as a good product rather than an excellent one

You will need to use the fsx SDK Autogen Annotator tool. It is all on the Disc if you have the Gold version, not sure about other earlier versions. Quite a learning curve but a lot of fun. I am sure with our dark winter nights you will become an expert by the Spring.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Hi, thanks for the info, I;m running Rev-X under P3D2 Accademic, do you know if that will include a similar tool?

Phil

There's a much simpler program out there for adding autogen, but can't think of the name. It's as easy a point and place.

Are you thinking of Flight 1 Instant  Scenery3?  I'd thought of that but unfortunately, it won't work with P3D2

P3d have there own SDK tools. When I had v1 they were available for Developer Licence holders. Don't know if they will be available for academic customers. Check your account "download" area on the forum, where you got your original download from. It will be listed along with the main Sim downloads etc. if you are eligible. They are of course free.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

I posted the following on the Just Flight Forum (where my username is 462) as I have problems being unable to now run my Earth Simulations programs following the install of RevolutionX.  Prospective purchasers need to be aware of this issue:

"Comments and a Word of Warning for Earth Simulations Users

I purchased RevolutionX on 28 November and have been experimenting with it since, encountering a few problems. I have had FSX since it was first available and now run the main program on one SSD and all scenery add-ons on a second. GenX is in an All-In-One folder (AIO). It would have been nice to have had some detail about the installation on the JF product page as the manual is only available after starting the install program. If you have an AIO folder it is necessary to install RevX into that to enable it to find the texture files. Many of these Texture file (.agn) are then overwritten, so as explained earlier, practically all Treescapes are gone.

The main problem probably lies in the shared Autogen folder as some of RevX information (probably in default.xml) overwrites some other products data contained here. The greatest problem for me has been that Earth Simulations superb Shawbury Fields and the Scilly Isles were changed to RevX. Even overwriting those texture files after RevX installation fails to get these two ES items working. A sad loss and one I was not aware of before purchase.

I have emailed support in both companies in the hope they can sort out a compromise for the Autogen and ES say they will try again to contact the RevX developer. Some of you might recall similar problems with Orb X. There is a lot on the Ground Environment X forum about it.

So what about RevX? Well, there are some interesting and positive points. It allows good frame rates, as others have said though, with less trees than Treescapes. If you have previously installed other trees packages, it will overwrite some of these in the Scenery/Global/Texture folder. If you have some scenery add-ons in your Scenery Library these will still work and so you can make the autogen more variable by adding these - like UK Refineries (this one does have a bit of a frame rate hit though) and UK Ports etc. I also have Cardiff which has the Castle, Millennium Stadium, Civic Centre etc and several tall buildings which integrate into RevX to break up the urban landscape. These and many more are available free on Avsim.

An interesting thing regarding the mention of mainly white buildings – I actually have brick with the occasional white gable! If you have developed your sim over the years like mine, these variations/alterations will be in the Autogen folder and depending on what RevX calls up – that is what you get. I suspect a virgin FSX installation will have the mainly white buildings.

The night lighting works well and if you use UTX roads you will see traffic. As far as I am aware this traffic is not included in RevX – as an experiment I turned it off in the Scenery Library and then there was no traffic.

One particular problem are the churches – these will sometimes appear on top of other buildings, on roads and on beaches.   From JF support “Unfortunately, due to the limitations with FSX, there is not much we can do to make it any better. Revolution X uses Auto gen to place buildings in areas which are highlighted as populated or airfields etc. This means that we cannot position the buildings on every house etc so it guesses where they are”.

So there you have it – it is a good add-on which transforms your plain Photoscenery without a substantial FPS hit – but be very aware you could lose some of your other installs...."

To give an idea how effective RevolutionX can look here are a few screenshots from my install.   The Oil Refinery in the background at Pembroke dock is from the Avsim Library.

Earth Simulations have also been developing an autogen program called autogenesis, but it will not be an overall UK program and it won't be cheap either!  It will be based on new 30cm photoreal and will be split into 18 areas.  More info on their forums here:

http://earthsimulations.com/forums/topic/revolation-x/

post-227485-0-48818500-1387055210.jpg

post-227485-0-28797100-1387055261.jpg

An interesting thing regarding the mention of mainly white buildings – I actually have brick

For info : The textures you're seeing in RevX Robert will have been supplied with your ES shawbury Fields. 

Earth Simulations have also been developing an autogen program called autogenesis, but it will not be an overall UK program and it won't be cheap either!

:rolleyes:  Ah well you see... I haven't said it will be expensive either  now have I?  :P It'll be down to customers to weigh up whether they think the extra lengths we're going to are worth paying a little more for or not. While RevX and the ES project are in many ways similar, there are also significant differences to be found which you'll all need to judge for yourselves after we've released the first areas.

Hi Darren, any hints as to when release dates may be, does Santa need to know about this?

Phil Murfin