Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

Laminar Research is doing great. (A.K.A. Jcomm-itis got me)

Well, looks like the Jcomm-itis (a weird illness first reported in Portugal, in which you go from extreme pessimism to sheer excitement about the same subject in 24 hours) is getting me. :smile:

After the last "tumultuous" days in the X-Plane/flight sim world, I came to an optimistic outlook on the near and mid-term future of X-Plane.

The most important thing giving me confidence is that, after the news of the last weeks/days, it's becoming more clear (IMHO) that all the main decisions and paths chosed by Laminar Research were the right ones.

First of all, the development of the 64 bits version was finalized just at the right time, and it has made X-Plane future proof. While it has been stated that P3Dv2 (32 bits) should have a better memory management than FSX, its base memory footprint is much larger than FSX, and there are already several users (I counted 5 as of yesterday) reporting OOM's with P3Dv2. It's true that it's just been released, so its developers will have ample time to improve things, but I suspect the 32 bits limit could prove crucial quite soon.

P3D developers said 64 bits is on the roadmap, but it's not coming soon. Of course, once done it will break compatibility with most 32 bits add-ons. All of this could give X-Plane some time advantage, useful to close the gap in those basic features still lacking compared to the FSX/P3D series. I think this would be a good thing because FSX/P3D is still ahead in terms of popularity and X-Plane needs more users for its add-on market to thrive even more. Having two flight sims with a comparable level of complexity, features and popularity would be a good thing for competition (even if, paradoxically, splitting the add-on market in two would mean a little less number of add-ons as a whole).

The second reason is due to the 10.25 update and the new HD mesh v2. Now, in places where there is good OSM coverage, the results are simply amazing. With the new textures and a good OSM coverage, the "plausible scenery" concept is really showing its capabilities. Choosing the "plausible" approach + OSM as the main source for scenery data, is another choice that is revealing to be the right one. It was just "ahead of the times" somewhat, especially in terms of refination of the concept and completeness of art assets. Based on what I see now, flying over the "right places" using the new HD meshes + OSM, my impression is that in the very near future the "sintetic" scenery will become closer to photoscenery, without having its disadvantages.

The third reason is the 10.30 update that should be out Q1 2014. Ben Supnik is very cautious when talking about future releases, and it's rare to hear from him big words like "ton of stuff" and "significant new features", words he used with regard to 10.30. So it should be a significant update.

Of course not everything is perfect, and there are those crucial issues we often talked about here, mainly the lack of resources that caused X-Plane to lag behind with regard to several basic features. The good thing is that in the last weeks and in the coming ones, it's apparently getting significant momentum in its improvements (by either core features or 3rd parties, think SkyMAXX) for the reasons I explained above. If Laminar manages to implement or improve those few inadequate basic features during the course of 2014, then at that point it will only be up to 3rd parties to take it to the next level and ready for prime time to the wide userbase of flight simmers.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Jcomm-itis (a weird illness first reported in Portugal, in which you go from extreme pessimism to sheer excitement about the same subject in 24 hours)

:LMAO:

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Well, looks like the Jcomm-itis (a weird illness first reported in Portugal, in which you go from extreme pessimism to sheer excitement about the same subject in 24 hours)

I wouldn't let it bother ya. He's bounce between sims more than I partners. :)

i have to agree with OP. so after the release of prepar3d 2.0 i decided to invest in xplane.

so far i like it. things are extremely confusing for someone whos coming from the fs9 world but i can tell those things can be corrected easily and with little bit research. i too hope that xplane will grow huge in the future. 

i have to agree with OP. so after the release of prepar3d 2.0 i decided to invest in xplane.

so far i like it. things are extremely confusing for someone whos coming from the fs9 world but i can tell those things can be corrected easily and with little bit research. i too hope that xplane will grow huge in the future. 

Its like going from Photoshop to Gimp but once you get an handle on it you will start to appreciate everything that went into it.  That's me speaking as a user...... ;)

Jcomm-itis should be added to Wikipedia .... :lol:

... and in every serious medical lexicon. Just in case it arises elsewhere in the world. Each doctor should be informed about this incurable disease ... :Devil:

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

Its like going from Photoshop to Gimp but once you get an handle on it you will start to appreciate everything that went into it.  That's me speaking as a user...... ;)

It's not really the more appropriate comparison (in case it is the exact opposite), because X-Plane 10 is far superior to FSX/P3D, the only thing are complex liners.

Default XP10 is not even comparable to FSX or P3D 2.0, Xp10 is far greater than ESP core (FSX/P3D/P3D 2.0).

For this reason, I look forward to PMDG on X-Plane world.

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

Not too long ago I saw jcomm in the p3d forum.   He was saying some very nice stuff about it...

It's only a matter of time until xplane is deleted until he installs it again.  :)

The one thing I'm waiting for is a traffic program like My Traffic X or UT2 for X-plane. That would help the immersion factor immensely.

NAX669.png

I wouldn't let it bother ya. He's bounce between sims more than I partners. :)

Instead of Jcomm-itis, it is more like Jcommiscuity.  (Like promiscuity, get it?)  :)

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Same here, get Ai properly implemented and a good ATC implementation and I will be onboard.

Untill then I watch from the sidelines.

Same here, get Ai properly implemented and a good ATC implementation and I will be onboard.

Untill then I watch from the sidelines.

I agree 100% BTW  brings live into the sim.......My hope is we get a ton of user submitted airports with proper taxiways and gates which will make this easier for a programmer to implement these features in the near future......

I agree 100% BTW  brings live into the sim.......My hope is we get a ton of user submitted airports with proper taxiways and gates which will make this easier for a programmer to implement these features in the near future......

i agree. the airports looks like are coming in nicely. everyone is doing a part of i think maybe in a year we will have alot of great airports. 

the AI is probably the biggest downfall of xplane right now. sometime i would love to just sit there in fs9 and just watch all the airplanes taxi/land/takeoff. i know there is an addon from a developer that allows some ai but its not good enough. the ai can not work with atc although some features of the ai seam very advanced this basic function kills it. 

i do hope they get a better ATC system. once they fix ai and atc i think we will have many people onboard of the xplane train. 

hopefully 10.30 will bring all these features. 

I like to think of it as going from Paintshop Pro to Photoshop.  

:P