Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

Laminar Research is doing great. (A.K.A. Jcomm-itis got me)

I enjoy the flight dynamics of XPX, and having 64 bits sure makes my PC work more efficiently..... I would endorse the comments from others that a good AI and ATC (as good as FSX had in 2006 when first produced would be a good start). I'm no programmer, and therefore have no idea of the challenges that implementing a better AI and ATC would require, but I'm sure that others better than me are developing XPX (I would hope so :) ).

Thanks, Bruce.

OMG, I get away for a couple of days, to get involved with another sim, and am immediately diagnosed jcomm-itis....

It was just an episode of the fsx syndrome, but I am already vaccinated against it :biggrin:

Well, I couldn't resist trying the new P3D sim. Took the 1 month license, mainly because of other activities you now know I have :ph34r: and for testing, and also because Alec is seriously considering getting it.

Then, my friend Tercio started a new site, dedicated to all kinds of simulation, and he asked me to cooperate with articles, on the various sims. I am writing my first, but have been rather busy with my RL... It'll be about ELITE :-)

Meanwhile, what I have to say is that, appart from the good performance and graphic update that P3D v2 represents, flying aircraft in X-Plane 10 and then stepping into FSX / P3D  feels strange, to say the least, and scenery in those sims looks plastic, even with that distance blurr in X-Plane, although we all know there are some excellent sceneries for FSx / P3D, but that's not default or free!!!

Of course I didn't uninstall X-Plane 10, as I wrote at the various posts at the P3D avd DX10 forums, it is my main and preferred flight simulator, and I am sure it'll continue to be, for the very same reasons that Murmur so well exposed on the OP.

It's evident that Austin and LR did the right choice, in the right time, even if that represented a much slower than we wanted rate of bringing new features and fixing problems in X-Plane 10. It had to be done, and gave us the extraordinarily stable platform we have today!

Ah! The site : http://www.simreviewshouse.com/

Beware that it's just beginning, and although Tercio kindly added me as  a reviewer, truth is that I couldn't yet contribute with anything :-/  Maybe this weekend!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I like flight simming but when I look at the costs, I think I will get more of my money's worth from X-Plane.

The most recent improvements have come at almost no cost. The 10.25 update, and HD mesh were totally free, but they bring the default look of the sim on par with many of the scenery addons that I would have to pay for FSX.

This is a big deal for me, because I would have to spend a lot of money to get P3D looking as good as I can get for free now in X-Plane.

Prepar3D lacking 64-bit support is neither good for Prepar3D, nor for X-Plane. People who try FSX or P3D for the first time and get frustrated because of OOMs and other problems are unlikely to build up an interest in flight simming. The more choices of stable, fully featured platforms the better for everyone. Enjoying P3D 2.0 does not exclude you from also having X-Plane installed and using it some or most of the time.

The biggest problem with running multiple simulator platforms is the added cost. X-Plane does seem to have a more active Freeware community, which helps a lot. However many of the most detailed add-on aircraft carry similar price tags to their FSX counterparts.

While I'm sure a lot of hard work went into SkyMaxx Pro, it costs almost as much as REX for FSX/P3D. I understand the sales volume is much lower with X-Plane, but $40 is still a lot to invest for a secondary simulator.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Why all the talk about FSX vs P3D vs X-Plane 10 etc....

It is: IXEG or no IXEG! Simple as that! If IXEG changes the plans and releases for Sub Logic 2, then Sub Logic 2 it is! =)

heheheh

Why all the talk about FSX vs P3D vs X-Plane 10 etc....

It is: IXEG or no IXEG! Simple as that! If IXEG changes the plans and releases for Sub Logic 2, then Sub Logic 2 it is! =)

heheheh

Make sure you start looking for your scenery disks on the attic! :P .

Jan

I was surprised ( very positively ) for Hardy Heinlin's take on the chance PSX users will have to use X-plane as a visual platform! 

With PS1 I used FS9, then FSX and even Flight Gear for the visuals, but I've heard the new version of this upcoming simulator will do a much better job in this area.

Now, if only the guys at iXEG could partner with Aerowinx and try a X-plane 10 native port of the PSX 744 simulator, than we would all be in Heaven!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Well, as someone who is an FSX diehard and as such a potential P3D convert, I can say that my move across to the new kid on the block has been halted due some recent posts I've seen regarding XP10. Firstly I was amazed at some screenies that were posted and then really pleased that what initially looks like some decent cloud textures have been released. Then I was blown away with the hires global mesh. Trying to be open minded is not that easy for me, mainly because I have an enormous investment in FSX addons, probably around £2500 in the past three years. That is a lot of dosh by anyone's standards. But I guess if I made the move slowly it might be a little less hurtful.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Howard,

with time I believe that we could have, in the limit, two possible situations for users of both platforms - P3d v2 and X-Plan 10...

P3d v2 was designed with openness in mind, at least in as far as flight dynamics modeling and weather are concerned. It will be a lot easier to use external flight models and weather injectors will, supposedly, have their task simplified with the new "simconnect". So, we can think of someone making it possible to fly in P3d v2 using X-Plane 10 for the flight dynamics!  For me this is great news because I am sure that, starting 10.30, we will have an even better simulation of flight in X-plane 10, and for those who invested a lot on scenery add-ons ( those Orbx sets look amazing!!! ) it will be good to be able to fly over them, but feel the aircraft like we do in X-plane 10 ( no, not the roll due to torque... but that's going to be fixed the best way....).

At the same time I see no reason for the opposite to happen to. We might be able to use X-plane 10's extraordinary detailed scenery ( specially after that blurr show stopper get's a fix... ) and weather depiction, while flying P3d v2 aircraft. We could, for instance, fly the PMDG 777 in one screen and have the X-plane 10 visuals in the windshield!

If I were PMDG, I would probably study such an approach, even if as a possible addon apart from their upcoming first creation for X-plane 10. They could benefit from all of the SUPERB work they did with their airliners and even with the JS41, and use X-plane for the visuals, with only the need for good 3d models of their aircraft for those voyeurists who like to fly an aircraft from the outside :)

Main Simulation Rig:

Well, as someone who is an FSX diehard and as such a potential P3D convert, I can say that my move across to the new kid on the block has been halted due some recent posts I've seen regarding XP10. Firstly I was amazed at some screenies that were posted and then really pleased that what initially looks like some decent cloud textures have been released. Then I was blown away with the hires global mesh. Trying to be open minded is not that easy for me, mainly because I have an enormous investment in FSX addons, probably around £2500 in the past three years. That is a lot of dosh by anyone's standards. But I guess if I made the move slowly it might be a little less hurtful.

I fully agree with Howard here!

And personally speaking i am certain, that if(!) the persons in charge, involved and responsible for deciding what features will be updated and which issues will be fixed in future X-Plane versions, now realize the potential for "their own“ simmingplatform lying just ahead of them and therefore really begin trying hard to reach out to those simmers out there such as myself and Howard aka Rockliffe for instance, who are still a bit uncertain about X-Plane, but very, very interested in it - then(!!) the futuer of X-Plane will look not only bright but even super bright!

Let’s as an example mention PMDG's latest announcements to also release airplane add-ons for X-Plane here.

For the first time now, i dare saying, the often stressed argument saying „no major 3rd party developers - no rise in customer numbers for X-Plane“ simply does not work anymore.

Sure:

There already are some absolutely superb and serious 3rd party developers currently developing for X-Plane, but it’s just a simple fact that PMDG is a class of it’s own within the flightsimming developer’s community.

And so, having PMDG on board will certainly help any(!) flightsimming-platform to gain more popularity within the FS community.

So if(!) X-Plane finally gets rid of stuff like the often mentioned and somewhat weird looking „horizon-issue“ and the questionable „torque behaviour“ for instance and also steps away from the "who needs this eyecandy attitude" towards stuff such as seasonal textures for instance and also becomes a bit more userfriendly with a more effective GUI at start up (i know it is already much better indeed now, but there is still lots of potential for improvement here for sure) … - then(!!), at least in my opinion, there is a lot to gain for flightsimmers and X-Plane alike!

There is indeed a real chance for X-Plane now to finally step out of the shadows from FSX and P3D regarding the size of its customer/user base and so also in regards to popularity within the flighstimming community!

Not sure if the current X-Plane community members and developers want this to happen - i simply can’t tell because i don’t know.

However though i really hope they want „their“ sim to rise and shine in the future by far more as it does nowadays!

And as a dedicated flightsimmer and potential future X-Plane user, i’d really welcome, if this would happen!

Because having choices is great - and the more dedicated simming platforms available, the better it is for us, for our enthusiasm for aviation and for flightsimming in general!

Only my two cents here though!

Cheers, Christoph

Not sure if the current X-Plane community members and developers want this to happen - i simply can’t tell because i don’t know.

However though i really hope they want „their“ sim to rise and shine in the future by far more as it does nowadays!

Hehe, I guess it's similar to when a previously unknown indie band suddenly have a hit and become famous. Some die hard fans accuse them of "selling out" and refuse to continue to support them.

Personally I don't care about tube liners, but I understand that the PMDG endorsement means a lot for X-Plane users, just a as their P3D announcement did for fans of that sim. It look like they (PMDG) have finally realized that they can't stay with an unsupported, 7 years old sim platform indefinitely.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Let’s as an example mention PMDG's latest announcements to also release airplane add-ons for X-Plane here.

For the first time now, i dare saying, the often stressed argument saying „no major 3rd party developers - no rise in customer numbers for X-Plane“ simply does not work anymore.

Sure:

There already are some absolutely superb and serious 3rd party developers currently developing for X-Plane, but it’s just a simple fact that PMDG is a class of it’s own within the flightsimming developer’s community.

And so, having PMDG on board will certainly help any(!) flightsimming-platform to gain more popularity within the FS community.

PMDG is a class of its own might be true in FSX land. But here in X-Plane, IXEG is the KING and leaves the PMDG far behind!

PMDG is a class of its own might be true in FSX land. But here in X-Plane, IXEG is the KING and leaves the PMDG far behind!

... well and that's why - for good reason - i have pointed out at first place already (to quote myself ^_^):

... There already are some absolutely superb and serious 3rd party developers currently developing for X-Plane ...

... so please: No need to be upset or so. 

And before starting any discussion about which or whatever add-on may be the superbest and ultimate and all that ... just an easy brake again, because all i said - and i'll stick with that - is that PMDG are a class of their own - and a superb class this is for sure.

And i have also not been saying that PMDG is the only super great add-on company!

I for instance also consider A2A to be a class of their own!

And so will be IXEG for instance ... but (and as i have also pointed out):

I am not a X-Plane user yet and so i can only talk about either my expectations/wishes towards future X-Plane developments (which is what i did) and talk about add-ons which i have used personally - such as those from PMDG.

And i mainly mentioned PMDG here above, becaus they will be developing for X-Plane soon now for sure.

So again saying:

Please no need to worry at all!

I am - just as all of us here - a flightsimming enthusiast,excited about the latest news and developments.

And i also dare to say:

The bigger a customer base becomes - for any simmingplatform - the better for all developers there!

So:

If PMDG gets new customers to X-Plane then this may also bring new potential customers for IXEG and others - and vice versa!

Sure there are still lots of uncertainties and no one can really tell what the future will be holding for us flightsimmers in the end of the day, but as for now i am - and i think many others too - just most positively excited about a possible flightsimming-future as a future X-Plane user with some of these great PMDG planes running there as well!

If my hopes and wishes are to high or to much, so be it then - i guess we will all find out then anyways, but again and for now saying:

Well, there is hope so to speak - No more, no less.

Hope this is okay. :wink:

Cheers, Christoph

it will be good to be able to fly over them, but feel the aircraft like we do in X-plane 10 ( no, not the roll due to torque... but that's going to be fixed the best way....).

He,he...............someday I'll have this worked out in my mind. I just haven't yet figured how an aircraft should always feel on a desktop flight simulator. Naturally, the feel of G-forces that effect our stomachs and brains, won't be in effect. There shouldn't be an effect of feeling lighter, as air under the wings seems quite solid and substancial. I don't believe either sim has that "lighter" effect, anyway. We shouldn't be swaying back and forth, and up and down either.........as air doesn't act like that, unless there is turbulence. You don't have to sit there, and make constant roll, pitch, and yaw corrections in smooth air. Just small corrections, in which sims are usually harder to trim for a level altitude, than real life. And believe me, there is lots of smooth air out there.

But.........It's usually been the comments from Geof Applegate (who got rather ticked last week), that I can agree with. We've both been pilots for about the same time period. We both did Beta testing for three versions of MSFS and numerous addons. We both discovered that Pro-Pilot had that special sense of "feel", that was lacking with FS98. He's made some favorable comments about X-Plane having a "good" feel, and it was mostly related to a few Carenado models that were ported over, and some specific 1.? versions of XP-10 that seemed to loose the torque effect. I did buy a Carenado Beech single for XP-10 based soly on his recommendation, and no one elses. I just haven't tried it enough, because I moved, and want a computer upgrade before I reconnect the controls.

So....I'm very open to the idea that X-Plane 10 can have a good feel. But It won't be because of constant control movements, a sense of being lighter (like some hand reaches out to pick you up), or the baloney that MSFS feels like it's on rails in comparison. Afterall, in real flight, in a real airplane, at around 200 mph.......the plane can often seem like it's not even moving. The ground just seems to slowly drift underneath. That's the impression that my wife as well as numerous passengers often got, and made comments about. Turbulence, and the real life impressions, are a different subject....for another time.

In the meantime, 10.30 could be great, but it's not here yet. The same with IXEG.

There are indeed, call it, subtleties, on an x-plane model that we can't simply find on, even the best ( read RealAir, A2A PMDG models) 

Yesterday while I was testing P3Dv2 I picked first the default Baron 58 and then and add on twin which already got an installer for P3d v2 and is very well positioned among the best FSX add-ons.

Well, took off and while I was still climbing, I killed, as I usually do, one of the engines, and I chose it to be the critical one!

Yes I had to use a bit of rudder, but things happen at such a slow motion ( in roll and yaw) that I wonder if this is the way it is IRL ( don't know, but can watch a few tubes...). In X-Plane we get a very pronounced bank and yaw, but in ELITE is is more like in MSFS. Yet, I never know if this is realistic because I read that sometimes pilots get unsure about what engine quited, and there are many texts on that calling their attention to the fact that sometimes what you see in some of the engine instruments can be misleading.... I ask myself how it really should feel in a real Baron 58 or in that Twin Otter I tested in FSX and P3Dv2. The Baron 58 in X-plane 10 certainly requires a prompt reaction from the "pilot"... but we have to discount for the additional effects caused by the exagerated roll due to torque...

Then, I think about other type of flight maneuver that feels a lot more realistic in X-Planes than in FSXplanes... a sideslip. That one I can speak about from my RL experience., and in fact we glider pilots love it!  I know there are some exceptions in FSX, such as the models designed by RealAir ( probably others too, never tested a Milviz but heard they're very good ). In X-plane any aircraft will sideslip without the designer having to be a magician... It sideslips naturally because X-plane's flight dynamics can account more easily for such a flight attitude than FSX's....

And those prop engines, apart from the torque bug, aren't there aspects in which we can find them more realistic in X-Plane? I think there are, at least two - the unfamous leaning bug does not exist in X-Plane, and irrespective of what altitude you start leaning at, your FF will always start decreasing, and not increasing... and the relation between MP and prop RPM on a CS, reciprocating engine ( or between Prop RPM and Torque on a turboprop). These aspects are much better modelled in X-Plane than they ever were in MSFS...

Winds and turbulence, particularly in the presence of convective clouds and terrain are another area where X-plane shines. In MSFS's weather none of these effects can have the realistic effects, depending on the intensity, that we can get ( sometimes overdone IMHO ) in X-plane. I know of at least one program which will change this reality, but it took a long way to get there, and... I still prefer X-plane's weather when it comes to the modelling of turbulence, wind gusts and shear, wake, ridge lift, etc...

Main Simulation Rig: