Sign in to follow this  
Simmo W

GTX 780 Users - What's it like?

I have a 670 OC, quite enjoying it, but am wondering what you lucky 780 users are seeing? Can you use shadows on buildings & vegetation? Have u tried a more complex plane and are seeing mid-20's. I"m ready to pull the trigger if you can convince me! 

I just tried the CS727 @ KSFO (flightbeam) and only saw 15fps at one point. I'm guessing I'll get 50% more frames with a 780. Opinions welcome (sort of, in a way I don't want an excuse to blow another 6-700 bucks!)

Thanks

Kinda a loaded question. I t all depends on where, what aircraft, what weather etc. Yesterday at JFK with a complex aircraft and in a rainstorm brought my 780 to its knees. Dropped down in the hight teens. loos like to my the Titonians are all bragging about not having any performance issues. Now you can go drop a GRAND, more or less! :)

I can't imagine a Titan outperforming a GTX780, after reading a lot about GPU's lately. Yes, the Titan has more VRAM but how much is actually used? The raw power of the GTX780 is simply higher and more VRAM won't make such a huge difference, at least not that it would have no problems in the situation you described.

I also think everyone is having problems with things like heavy rainy weather and that this is a temporary problem: unlike MS/Aces LM simply HAS to fix these problems. This is not a game you can release and forget about, like FSX: this is a sim and the market they target demands that the software runs as advertised.

I haven't played around with my settings nearly as much as I'd like to, but I'd be happy to help.

So far, I'm seeing about 28-34 fps at Flightbeam's KIAD, it's a little more stuttery than I'd like, but like I said, I haven't played around with my settings enough.

I'll put up a proper report tomorrow, when it isn't 3:40 in the morning ;)

Aamir Thacker

It's great. I can run it at 30fps with terrain shadows flying low and slow around Miami.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

For me the 780 does just fine but be warned it is still bound by VAS issues. The simulator may be performing just fine and then crash out of nowhere due to oom, particularly if you move silders close to max and have add on scenery

I can't imagine a Titan outperforming a GTX780, after reading a lot about GPU's lately. Yes, the Titan has more VRAM but how much is actually used? The raw power of the GTX780 is simply higher and more VRAM won't make such a huge difference, at least not that it would have no problems in the situation you described.

Just to point out it's the GTX 780Ti which has more raw horsepower than the Titan but with half the Vram.

The GTX 780 (non Ti), is very marginally less powerful than the titan and with half the Vram. However performance wise in most games the difference is virtually negligible and with a very slight overclock the 780 beats a titan quite easily.

I am using the GTX780 SOC and am quite frankly delighted. Yes I had to back the sliders off from maximum a little to avoid OOM's but strangely that seemed to improve when I installed FSUIPC. I am flying FTX Global and Orbx Australia at 35-40fps now without a problem. The introduction of SLi support some time in the future will just be icing on a very tasty cake. In the meantime I have it switched OFF.

I haven't played around with my settings nearly as much as I'd like to, but I'd be happy to help.

So far, I'm seeing about 28-34 fps at Flightbeam's KIAD, it's a little more stuttery than I'd like, but like I said, I haven't played around with my settings enough.

I'll put up a proper report tomorrow, when it isn't 3:40 in the morning ;)

Cool, thanks, is that in a 'complex' plane or just a default? If u could try it in the CS727 or A2A cessna? Or similar.

Or just nominate the default plane and add-on complex scenery so we can compare, esp with building / object shadows on.

Thanks everyone! You are helping me spend some money, good for the economy. I'm eyeing off a Superclocked SC EVGA card. Or A Ti if it's really worth it

And isn't it amazing that we can get such good results so early on. I'm sure there is more optimising that will occur

I had a 780 but it died within 3 weeks of purchase.  For much less money, I now have two 760's OC'd and in SLI config, and that type of performance rivals the Titan at a lot less money.  I can turn on EVERYTHING and it runs at 30FPS.

Hi All,

I would encourage you to seriously look at the GTX770 4Gb edition. Its a beast of a card, running not much slower than the GTX780, but with more VRAM. Overclock it a bit, and I mean slightly, and you're running with the 780. And it costs substantially less.

Hi All,

I would encourage you to seriously look at the GTX770 4Gb edition. Its a beast of a card, running not much slower than the GTX780, but with more VRAM. Overclock it a bit, and I mean slightly, and you're running with the 780. And it costs substantially less.

That's what I'm looking at. 

Newegg has them on sale for $369.99 (MSI version). You get a three game bundle as well (AC Blackflag, Batman Origins, Blacklist).

My 570 is worth about $125 on ebay + that game bundle is going for about $60 on ebay. I figure I can make the upgrade and only be out $180 or so after selling everything else off. 

I'm needing a new card of Arma 3 as well anyway.

Sorry, no super complex airports or planes yet installed here - still working on one thing at a time, and being distracted by the huge amount of stuff on sale.

I just upgraded this week from an ATI 6970 to the EVGA 780Ti Superclocked.  I will say, it is definitely night and day between those two cards...  I would think the issue with VRAM is still going to be an issue for those of you that run super complex planes in and out of the big airports, but as far raw power is concerned, it blows me away.

I will have the A2A 172 installed one of these nights , and I plan on getting the Q400 installed.  I don't foresee fps issues with those two planes, but then I found them both to be exceptionally performing in FSX as well.  So far, nothing I have currently installed into P3D even breaks a sweat - I'm able to fly with shadows and heavy weather so far quite easily.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Hi Arismac

Do you have all the region packs for Orbx Australia working in V2 or are you referring to the FTX global for australia

Wayne

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

strangely that seemed to improve when I installed FSUIPC

Interesting! With FSX I always installed the free version of FSUIPC because of the implemented anti-OOM feature it has. Maybe this also works with P3D…?