Sign in to follow this  
adi518

Discovered fix for dx10 + sfx SMAA disable problem

Many thanks Adi. Great find.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Great Adi, been having the same issue with SFX 1.5.1 dark screen and after searching the SFX presets site checking all 1.5.1 presets with smaa unchecked saw that the LIFT-GAMMA-GAIN settings were alted so tried a few and dark screen gone, mucked around a bit myself but just couldn't quite get it right so have just tried your adjustments and I thank you using them along with shade and DX10 AA back to sharp with great graphics and colours.

Cheers Rod.

Not work for me:( Maybe ATI can't disappear jaggies. I think DX10 needs bigger guns and i mean a powerful gpu.

6850 is kinda weak, yes. Especially if you want SGSS for the gauges to appear nice. It requires a powerful GPU like 7870, 7950 etc' or 660/660ti/670 etc'. The higher the better.

A good read are a couple of threads here and here, Jewel77, where Michael Moe describes his journey from an ATI gpu to an Nvidia 780. Adi has it moderately right when he quotes the 660/660ti/670, etc.,  - my own feeling is the 7xx series, and preferrably the 780, if you want to see FSX at it's best.

As Adi says, though - the higher, the better!  :lol:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks adi, will give these a try, haven't used SFX much lately because of the SMAA settings making FSX not look so good.  I like how crisp your screenshot looks above, very nice!

You are right peejm the 780 has made simming quite enjoyable.  Tonight I discovered how well my 40" LED looked when I switched the display's "Game Mode" off, there isn't any lag whatsoever and the textures look so much more life-like.

\Robert Hamlich/

Im using this now in Dx10 and the picture is amazing!

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

:drinks: cheers and merry christmas to all!

Hello Adi - merry christmas and a big thank you for your hard work!

With your findings, I now see myself coming back to nightflying in DX10. Im no savy when it comes to sfx, and I havent had much luck with google, so please: How can I, using your settings as a base, make my nights more dark, eg. the water darker and the land textures darker at night? Will doing so ruin the AA...?

Thx again,

Mas

You can try adjusting the mid-tones, but it will have a global effect, meaning daylight will be affected too. It won't ruin the AA.

Ok, no problems, I'm sure I can find a middle way - what are the mid tones anyway - the middle numbers in the ones you explained ealier?

Mas

Yes. If you use the cfg app, it says "mid-tones" near the values you need to edit. :)

Excellent - thank you - again;-)

Mas

Excellent - thank you - again;-)

Mas

Update:

I've made complete base SweetFX packages for P3D2 & FSX DX10:

P3D2: http://www.mediafire.com/download/bns8tr0fzq51usj/p3d2_sfx_complete_25-04-14.rar
FSX DX10http://www.mediafire.com/download/at5d09aheslw9ae/fsx_dx10_sfx_complete_25-04-14.rar

Edit: I uploaded the packages without the SweetFX DX9 files, since they're not needed for the correct operation of SweetFX. However, it is then causing a problem with SweetFX Configurator, where it won't detect that SweetFX is installed. If you already downloaded these, re-download to make sure you have the DX9 files included.

Once you install my packages, you can start adding contrast mods, bloom, hdr, whatever you want. It's highly recommended to not alter the parameters under 'Lift Gama Gain' & 'LumaSharpen'.

The old download links included a 'settings' file only while these include the full SweetFX 1.5.1 distribution. There's no visual difference to the old files I posted. The only difference now is: P3D2 has Lift Gama Gain/RGB Gamma set to 2.19, while FSX DX10 has it set to 2.25.