Sign in to follow this  
vortex95

New Rig for P3D v2: AMD or Intel?

Hi everyone. I started a topic elsewhere in this forum but it seems to have gotten lost in the hustle and bustle. Anyways, I Just checked on my savings for a new sim rig for P3D v2 and i have around 1200 dollars to spend. My main question is, do i go AMD or Intel? Now that v2 is out, it appears that it uses more of the GPU than the CPU. If that's the case, does it really matter with what processors i go with or does it still. If so, Id really really appreciate some feedback before I throw a chunk of money out at newegg. Thanks

vortex95, on 28 Nov 2013 - 11:02 PM, said:

Hi everyone. I started a topic elsewhere in this forum but it seems to have gotten lost in the hustle and bustle. Anyways, I Just checked on my savings for a new sim rig for P3D v2 and i have around 1200 dollars to spend. My main question is, do i go AMD or Intel? Now that v2 is out, it appears that it uses more of the GPU than the CPU. If that's the case, does it really matter with what processors i go with or does it still. If so, Id really really appreciate some feedback before I throw a chunk of money out at newegg. Thanks

What I would do is get a AMD FX-8350 I love mine and shes a great OC'er and can hit 5ghz on a good mobo and good cooling IE h110

FX-8350 $199http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284

Mobo $225 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131876

MSI GTX 770(this is the card I just got its awesome and has one of the fastest clockspeed of the 770s and its the cheapest) $375(after rebate) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127747

H110 Liquid cooler($89 after rebate) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181035

3TB HDD $99 alot http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844

8GB ram ($64 after rebate)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233170

Case that comes with 5 fans $55 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353009 don't waste you money on an expensive case

1000W power supply $70(after rebate) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182188

In total this rig will run you $1175ish

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I second that! the FX-8350 is def the way to go, not only is it a very affordable processor but it has amazing performance. I think pairing it with P3D V2 is a no brainer! 

I second that! the FX-8350 is def the way to go, not only is it a very affordable processor but it has amazing performance. I think pairing it with P3D V2 is a no brainer! 

quite true with 8 cores it can do alot besides simming its a great CPU and with my H110 it never goes above 45C at 4.5 GHZ the chip would go higher but I bought a cheap mobo which restricts the amount of OC'ing I can do. One day I'll replace the mobo and try for 5ghz

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Please let me play the Devil's Advocate.  :diablo:

I respect AMD and the FX-8350. I settled on the i7 4770K instead. P3D v2.0 is eventually going to exploit multi cores although I understand this to be limited at the moment.  The 4770K is quite superior to the AMD cpu in FSX and I have no doubt that will carry over to P3D v2.0 as well.  Now P3D v3.0 is another matter entirely. Eight true cores against 4 true and 4 virtual will probably be a winner.

OP, absolutely do NOT get AMD. Intel is much much better. I have an AMD CPU but if I were to upgrade it would be to Intel. An i5 4670K should be good enough for you. It is about $230 USD. You need the best CPU possible for FSX/P3D and that is Intel.

Here is a benchmark from Anandtech.com:

57934.png

The 4670k kills the FX-8350 and it isn't even close. Intel is the best for gaming period. You can look at other benchmarks here :http://anandtech.com/show/7255/intel-core-i7-4960x-ivy-bridge-e-review/5.

quite true with 8 cores it can do alot besides simming its a great CPU and with my H110 it never goes above 45C at 4.5 GHZ the chip would go higher but I bought a cheap mobo which restricts the amount of OC'ing I can do. One day I'll replace the mobo and try for 5ghz

4 Intel cores destroys "8" AMD cores. (Not even 8 real cores by the way, hence the quotation marks).

Have you actually done benchmarks against other processors? 8350 is $200 and gets crushed by an Intel at $200.

Please let me play the Devil's Advocate.  :diablo:

I respect AMD and the FX-8350. I settled on the i7 4770K instead. P3D v2.0 is eventually going to exploit multi cores although I understand this to be limited at the moment.  The 4770K is quite superior to the AMD cpu in FSX and I have no doubt that will carry over to P3D v2.0 as well.  Now P3D v3.0 is another matter entirely. Eight true cores against 4 true and 4 virtual will probably be a winner.

AMD's cores are not true cores. They are 4 modules composed of 2 cores each. The two cores in a module share resources. In multi-threaded tests the 4770k beats "8" core AMDs everytime.

I also respect AMD very much, but in pure framerate power for CPU-intensive games (which FSX/P3D certainly are) the Intel Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, and Haswell processors are leaps and bounds ahead of AMD.

edit: Apparently the newly released FX 9590 from AMD is a good gaming CPU and competes with high end Intel. It does consume a lot more power though, and does not perform as well in non-gaming tasks.

I have not used AMD since FS98, as some have already mentioned our various flight sim platforms use Intel's chips to their advantage.

Unless AMD developed a chip that could outperform Intel I cannot see myself going back to them.  As far as I know Intel has been outselling AMD for quite a while.

Good luck in your search, do your homework and talk to people you know and trust your gut and you will make the right decision.

\Robert Hamlich/

I also respect AMD very much, but in pure framerate power for CPU-intensive games (which FSX/P3D certainly are) the Intel Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, and Haswell processors are leaps and bounds ahead of AMD.

edit: Apparently the newly released FX 9590 from AMD is a good gaming CPU and competes with high end Intel. It does consume a lot more power though, and does not perform as well in non-gaming tasks.

Yes intels crush them in single thread apps but according to Lockheed p3d is multi thread also I can push my FX-8350 to a higher coverclock to which will make up for any performance loss.

OP, absolutely do NOT get AMD. Intel is much much better. I have an AMD CPU but if I were to upgrade it would be to Intel. An i5 4670K should be good enough for you. It is about $230 USD. You need the best CPU possible for FSX/P3D and that is Intel.

Here is a benchmark from Anandtech.com:

57934.png

The 4670k kills the FX-8350 and it isn't even close. Intel is the best for gaming period. You can look at other benchmarks here :http://anandtech.com/show/7255/intel-core-i7-4960x-ivy-bridge-e-review/5.

4 Intel cores destroys "8" AMD cores. (Not even 8 real cores by the way, hence the quotation marks).

Have you actually done benchmarks against other processors? 8350 is $200 and gets crushed by an Intel at $200.

AMD's cores are not true cores. They are 4 modules composed of 2 cores each. The two cores in a module share resources. In multi-threaded tests the 4770k beats "8" core AMDs everytime.

The issue is that P3d and FSX can't use hypertheading but with affinity mask they can use all 8 cores of a AMD chip

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Yes intels crush them in single thread apps but according to Lockheed p3d is multi thread also I can push my FX-8350 to a higher coverclock to which will make up for any performance loss.

The issue is that P3d and FSX can't use hypertheading but with affinity mask they can use all 8 cores of a AMD chip

P3D 2 will not use all 8 cores properly with affinity mask. I can't find the source but LM said 4 cores is all you need. P3D 2.0 isn't going to exploit more than 4 cores i.e. you won't see a performance benefit even with affinity mask with high than a 4 core CPU.

And an i5 4670k can overclock too which wipes out any benefit of an 8350 overclock so I don't see your point there.

How can you even argue with those benchmarks? 8350 gets crushed by the 4670k.

probaly the 4670 is faster.

have run a lot vantage the cpu test favor cores and hypertreading.

amd fx-8350 @6ghz with 8cores have close  cpu score to a 4670k @5.7ghz 4cores

No to AMD for FSX/P3D as it is so much weaker than Intel clock per clock that AMD is not even in the picture.

Haswell is best.

So Intel it is...thanks everyone. One more thing, I've been eyeballing combo offers on newegg and this is one of them that have caught my eye. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1413486

CPU- i5 4670K 3.4MHz

GPU- GeForce 650 Ti Boost 1GIG (Maybe buy a combo w/o GPU and buy a 2GB seperately)

RAM- 8GB

Looking to get a GPU with 2+ gigs. What do yall think? My ultimate goal in this pc is to be able to fly top notch addon aircraft into airports like LAX, JFK, HKG, CDG, DUB without going below 20fps. Can I do that with this setup in Prepar3d ya think?

I've thought about getting the 4770k but it hasn't been worth it at its current price point as Id have to get a new mobo and ram and a new copy of windows 7

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

GPU- GeForce 650 Ti Boost 1GIG (Maybe buy a combo w/o GPU and buy a 2GB seperately)

From what I have been reading, you will not get good performance from this GPU.  2Gig should be minimum and at least a 660.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations