Sign in to follow this  
emann072

i5 4670 - bios only lets me overclock from 3.4 to 3.8

Hi,

I have just received my new rig and venturing into the overclocking arena before starting all the various software installations.

The system is intel i5 4670 3.4Ghz, AsRock Z87 Extreme 3.

The Bios is only letting me moving the slider to 3.8Ghz...that is the maximum that the slider indicates.  I intended to overclock the system to 4.2GHz.

Any ideas please because I am completely stuck and also the first time I am trying to do this....do I need other software maybe or is there some other options in the BIOS that I am missing maybe.

tks

emann

Unfortunatly, you are very limited with that processor, since the multiplier is locked and you can only overclock your front-side bus, which in turn overclocks your entire system and therefor is limited around 3,8. To clock higher you should have bought a K processor(i5 4670k) without a locked multiplier. No workaround for it either, sorry...

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

hi and thanks...and there is no means that the multiplier can be unlocked....i checked on this before purchasing and was reading that this model is easily overclocked to 4.2Ghz....any help appreciated.

No, it cannot be unlocked in any way. Clocking the bus only taxes your entire system, so not only will your cpu run faster, but you will also overclock everthing that uses your frontside bus, such as your memory and mainboard, and that s in itself very limiting. Reaching 4,2 is in short impossible. An unlocked multiplier will only clock you cpu, and for that you need a K cpu. No refund or replacment possible? Right now your sitting on a very oc-capable MB, but no CPU to accomodate it I'm afraid...

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

Either you have a "K" or you dont, if you dont, you aint overclocking sir.  Simple as that.

spacer.png

The question is whether u really need go up to 4 Ghz.

My proc is working with speed 3.8 and my FSX is smooth even when using payware airports and PMDG planes.

In my case to obtain stable results i have changed as follow

AI overclock tuner - XMP :

CPU ratio - 19

BCLK Freq - 200

( those two parameters will give DRAM Frequency = 1603 MHz )

PCIE Freq - 100

CPU Voltage - 1.28

DRAM Bus Voltage - 1.66

Load line calibration - enabled

CPU Spread spectrum - disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum - disabled

A20M - disabled

Intel speedstep - disabled

Intel C-state - disabled

C1E support - disabled

I could go up to 4Ghz but then default fan is having problems with cooling and proc temperature is going dangerously high. 

Also i did not notice any significant improve when going from 3.8 to 4Ghz

Artur 

The question is whether u really need go up to 4 Ghz.

My proc is working with speed 3.8 and my FSX is smooth even when using payware airports and PMDG planes.

I could go up to 4Ghz but then default fan is having problems with cooling and proc temperature is going dangerously high. 

Also i did not notice any significant improve when going from 3.8 to 4Ghz

200MHz won't make much noticeable difference, so no based on that you don't need to go up to 4GHz. But 4.5 for example will make a difference and is worth it.

But the OP can't because lack of -k processor. And you can't use stock cooling for OC'ing.

emann.

OK it seems you have made the wrong choice of cpu if you wanted to overclock.  We overclock to get better frames per second performance.  What we REALLY desire is smoothness and a suspension of reality so we believe we ARE really there.  Of course tinkering with the cfg file helps but the secret often lies in the software itself.  Reducing texture size, alpha layers, mip mapping, converting DX3 files etc can make a huge difference to how the sim actually runs.  All it costs is some of your time and a little research.

Best of luck.

hi guys...thanks a lot....I m tweaking and adjusting here and there and up to now all fine...reinstalling pmdg and some uk2000 airports and system quite smooth and stable at 20-30 fps...so for the moment will stick to this rig...

what I want now is to understand setting up alacritypc to allow more resources for the sim when flying....but cannot find the option where alacrity gives you recommendation whether to close or leave open....any help on this maybe?

thanks to all