Sign in to follow this  
NGXfanatic

P3D and FSX on the same drive?

Is it ok to install P3D on the same drive as FSX?   We all know FSX is a PITA to install, and I just spent 2 weeks installing everything from scratch when I built my new rig about a month ago.

I imagine jumping on the P3D bandwagon sometime early next year, can I just add P3D to my  FSX drive, which presently uses only 14% of available space?

No problem. I run every sim since FS95, including P3D1.4 and P3D2 on the same computer!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

No problem to keep FSX and P3D v2 side-by-side even on the same drive. You also can think about adding a new partition if you have plenty of space left. This give you the opportunity of a better organized disk.

Spirit

I've got p3d on same drive, when I've finished migrating addons I want to keep I'm getting rid of fsx

Is it ok to install P3D on the same drive as FSX?   We all know FSX is a PITA to install, and I just spent 2 weeks installing everything from scratch when I built my new rig about a month ago.

I imagine jumping on the P3D bandwagon sometime early next year, can I just add P3D to my  FSX drive, which presently uses only 14% of available space?

No problem.  While some users may get confused by this the OS never will since it looks at the path to the install of each and they are treated as they should be, as different applications.  I have OS + FSX w/ add ons + P2D V2 on a single SATA III 500Gb SSD--no problems, fast file system performance, ample room, no hitches, stutters, etc.  Having read a little about parallelism in modern SSD's I came to the conclusion the I/0 load involved in these simulators does not approach a meaningful negative impact point to affect file system performance as it might in server environments.   I like have everything on one drive for backup/clone reasons--I do keep an three HDDs in the box--one as a complete bootable clone of the main SSD, the other is a data only drive only, and the 3rd is a separate install of Win7 that I use for other games, web browsing, etc.  Because I don't use my main SSD even for web surfing I can keep it exceedingly lean, don't need antivirus software running, shut down services not unitized for simming, etc.  After all of my add ons in FSX, and now P3D V2 w/ FTXG & REX E+ it's still under 1/2 full.  It appears FSX will be removed at some point when the PMDG stuff is out for V2 at which point I'll be back again to more than ample drive space, but may dabble w/ XPlane 64 as I'll have the space at that point.  I believe the common recommendation to put OS & sim on separate SSDs is theoretical and stems from the legacy recommendation when it was HDDs only where it did matter some.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X