Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

Found the culprit of bad performance with the Fixer

After numerous switching between DX9 and DX10, I had really poor performance in both modes. So I accused Dx10 Fixer naturally. :rolleyes:

I deleted fsx.cfg yesterday, and gave Fixer another go, and had performance problems again. Lot of stutters, lower fps than in DX9, FPS at high altitude tends to zero, literally (at ground ~60fps), all because of AA. Took a detailed look at my new fsx.cfg and saw that I had TWO entries for my graphic card:

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 .0.0]
Mode=1680x1050x32
Anisotropic=1
AntiAlias=1

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 .0.0.0] (something like this)
Mode=1024x768x32

Deleted the second one of course and voilla, the stutters gone, smooth performance again, no problems with AA, nice.

So maybe someone who has these kind of problems can check out fsx.cfg for these duplicated entries.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Interesting, could be the same here...

Recently I started a thread asking if anyone else experienced a perfmance boost:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/426490-anyone-else-having-performance-boost/

I thought it would be due to new Nvidia "Game Ready" series drivers, epic Windows 7 update campaigns and a manual change in my fsx.cfg for TBM =80 instead of 120.

In the meantime I thought it could be a combination off all that, because my sim runs smooth like never before.

Reading your thread now, I started looking at my collection of old fsx.cfg files. The oldest I found is from 2011-10-10. I compared it with the default fsx.cfg and my presently best running. The result seems astonishing:

default fsx.cfg: one entry for DISPLAY.DEVICE ___ .0

old fsx.cfg: two different entries for the DISPLAY.DEVICE ___ .0

my actual (smoothest) fsx.cfg: also two but equal entries for DISPLAY.DEVICE ___ .0

My/the default fsx.cfg entry [DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M  .0] is located behind the [Weather] entry and before the [AccelerationPack] entry.

The second entry is always behind the [MAPVIEW_MAP] entry.

It seems, that as long as this second entry is

1) identical to the first one

or

2) there is no second entry at all

nothing bad will happen to performance.

This by the way would also explain why so many people report best performance after running with a newly generated clean fsx.cfg (by simply starting fsx without the old fsx.cfg beeing present in its expected file location...). (EDIT: But with highmemfix=1 for sure!)

BTW: actually I can not imagine that this presence of such a malicious entry in the fsx.cfg would have been undiscovered in the community until now.

But we will see...

Greetings,

Claus

Whu FSX is adding a duplicate entry for graphic card in fsx.cdf is beyond me. Maybe it is because FSX recognise second display on the system? Currently second monitor is disabled here, so I'm not sure.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

It seems, that as long as this second entry is

1) identical to the first one

or

2) there is no second entry at all

nothing bad will happen to performance.

This by the way would also explain why so many people report best performance after running with a newly generated clean fsx.cfg (by simply starting fsx without the old fsx.cfg beeing present in its expected file location...). (EDIT: But with highmemfix=1 for sure!)

BTW: actually I can not imagine that this presence of such a malicious entry in the fsx.cfg would have been undiscovered in the community until now.

It's not undiscovered, Claus - most every IT tech and developer/programmer on these forums knows all about this and other similar issues. You cannot be expected to read and understand what is being presented in the [Display.Device... etc..] line when you have either - no knowledge; or training; or experience - of the problem and its fix. How can you recognise it as the cause of a problem?

Much of what's written in these forums has to be mulled over, and what you get from it depends upon how it's written, and how it links to any particular issue which is currently or recently happening on your own PC. A light bulb has to go on in your head, and this doesn't happen for everyone all the time. It's called 'the learning curve'!

All the Best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

A light bulb has to go on in your head, and this doesn't happen for everyone all the time. It's called 'the learning curve'!

Thank you Paul for your advice. I did not want to sound "super clever", if you mean that?!

It is always a lot of guessing involved here, so I just wanted to add my personal impression of the mentioned subject here. I am still learning...

Greetings,

Claus

Well I'm in the same boat, Claus, and we're not alone! If you stop learning - you might as well give up everything. Learning is challenging - it's like a thirst: a desire: a need: one has to get "on top" of a subject - all the time, and that's why FSX, particularly now DX10 - is so exciting!

As you grow with the hobby - you will also develop your knowledge, you'll remember odd things: you'll make notes: keep documents: create documents: the "guessing" will slowly disappear.

You will no longer need to "guess". 

All the Best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I have 3 of these entries in my fsx.cfg........they were all added by the program over time...???

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690.0]
Mode=2560x1600x32
Anisotropic=1
AntiAlias=1

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690.1]
Anisotropic=1
AntiAlias=1
Mode=2560x1600x32

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690.0.0]
Anisotropic=1
AntiAlias=1
Mode=2560x1600x32

Assuming you have one video card there should be two. Xxxxx.0. Is the dx9 device settings. xxxxx.0.0. Is the dx10 device settings, Xxxxx.1 is a second video card.

Humm, that is interesting. Thank you.

So, I should save the [xxx GTX 690.0.0] and the [xxx GTX 690.1] , hey?

Any info on the one labeled [xxx GTX 690.0]

@Pelle thanks for posting this - although I had a sinking feeling when I first saw the topic title!

No problem Steve. I should wrote DX10 instead Fixer, but as I said I pointed my finger to the Fixer, my bad. I had that problem with bad performance also with vanilla dx10.

Anyway later on I installed dx10 lights package and I saw stutters again. Uninstalled them and it was fine and smooth again, very weird.

Any idea Steve?

Sent from my U8815 using Tapatalk 2

lights or effects?  I wouldn't expect the lights package on its own to change anything, the effects can hit performance in some circumstances spray, contrails etc - there are menu options to reduce this.

Lights package (first check box). Effects and reflections are disabled in the Fixer.

I keep effects on medium in FSX options.

Sent from my U8815 using Tapatalk 2