Sign in to follow this  
okupton

GPU questions for p3d2.0

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice about a gpu as the title states. I'm looking at the middle of the road processors since I cant afford a 780 or a titan. In particular, i'm looking at the gtx 660 or 760 both with 2gb. Questions are as follows: What benefits would I gain with the 760 over the 660? Also, what type of limitations would I be looking at with only 2gb of ddr5? I realize its kinda early in the game since p3d2.0 just released, but any advice would greatly appreciate it

Orman

I upgraded my 660 to a 760 recently. The 760 runs nicely for me with reasonable slider settings (higher than default but not maxed out) on one 1920x1080 monitor and a low resolution second monitor for moving map. However, I've been monitoring the forums here where users are reporting that P3D can use more than 2 GB VRAM--possibly even with one monitor, which would be astounding and a feat never performed by any game to my knowledge (games like Battlezone maxed out are well below 2GB memory at 1080p). I plan to do some testing of that when I'm back home on Sunday and will report back. My guess is that the performance of the GPU will be a limiting factor before the 2GB level is reached, so that you would need to keep sliders reasonable anyway, which would keep you below 2GB usage. If so, then the 760 is an ideal price/performance choice for a single monitor setup. I would definitely purchase it rather than the 660 since the price is not much more.

760 vs 660, the 760 is a little bit better all the way around. Now 760 vs 660ti,  that's a close one.

At 2gb you will be fine, as long as you don't crank up the settings. With very high settings (not maxed), I normally see 1.5gb to 1.8gb usage. Maxed at JFK I was seeing 2.6gb at 1920/1080. It hit 3gb just for a second, but was normally around 2.6gb or slightly below.

760 vs 660, the 760 is a little bit better all the way around. Now 760 vs 660ti, that's a close one.

At 2gb you will be fine, as long as you don't crank up the settings. With very high settings (not maxed), I normally see 1.5gb to 1.8gb usage. Maxed at JFK I was seeing 2.6gb at 1920/1080. It hit 3gb just for a second, but was normally around 2.6gb or slightly below.

Ntme9, was that with a single monitor?

Maxed at JFK I was seeing 2.6gb at 1920/1080. It hit 3gb just for a second, but was normally around 2.6gb or slightly below.

About what I have seen also.

About what I have seen also.

Only with all sliders maxed out or have you ever gotten over 2GB with, say, medium LOD and some shadows off?

Only with all sliders maxed out or have you ever gotten over 2GB with, say, medium LOD and some shadows off?

JFK, heavy weather Rain/Snow, CS737, NO AI. Setting all on medium, shadows off, was using around 2.5 and a little higher.

MarkSC, on 29 Nov 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

Its going to be very very rare to hit 2gb at those settings, if not ever.

JFK, heavy weather Rain/Snow, CS737, NO AI. Setting all on medium, shadows off, was using around 2.5 and a little higher.

Wow, really? I guess I need to do more testing with weather.

Very interesting guys.  Thanks for your responses.  Not sure about what resoultion I'll be running the sim at.  I'm using a single samsung 42 inch plasma as my tv/computer set up.  I guess what my expectations are, if I am to switch to prepar3d and buy a new graphics card, is something between $200-$300 dollars that will not allow me to max everything out, but get me superior graphics and smoothness over what FSX is providing me now.  I'm not looking to max everything out.  Another factor though is I like complex addons such as the PMDG 737 (once its released for prepar3d) and fly tampa sceneries. I would imagine I would hit that 2gb vram wall pretty easily in these addons. As far as the 4 GB GTX 760 goes, I found one for $300 on amazon.  Crazy to me that P3Dv2 needs that much vram.  Looking forward to what you have to say about your test this weekend Mark.  Thanks again to all for the help and advice

Orman

Check newegg. They had some 760s on sale today + you get a software bundle.

will do.  Thanks Bonchie

Another option I guess would be to look for a card with 3GB DDR5 but those seem harder to find

Orman