Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Hyper Threading

Does P3Dv2 benefit from hyper-threading and should we use affinity mask edits in the config?

Harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I am not sure whether P3D2 benefits from Hyper-threading, but if you do have hyper-threading enabled (some Mobos have it on permanently and it cannot be de-activated), it would be wise to use a HT inclusive value in an Affinity Mask entry in P3D.

Eg.... the AF value for a 4 core (8 thread) CPU with HT on, is '84' ........ this differs to the value to use for the same CPU with HT off.

.......so if you have it ON, I believe it is beneficial to use an Affinity Mask HT value like above, in your cfg.

With an affinity mask of 84, you only get 3 cores running with P3D. With a value of 85 you have the four cores running, with HT on, but without using such threads.

I have a value of 85, with HT on, and Prepar3D has an additional core for terrain loading, with is very good to avoid blurries and for loading the scenery.

I dont't know exactly if P3DV2 can make use of TH threads, but what I am sure is that HT isn't harmful for P3DV2, and that is better to use four cores than three.

Briefly, you can have safely HT on, which is good for the general performance of your OS, and should try to use the four cores for the best performance of P3D. Of course, if you get worse perfomance, use an AF of 84.