Sign in to follow this  
Q_flyer

P3D2 and the Frame Rate Slider

Whats Vsync 1/2?

I think he simply meant half of your monitor's refresh rate. If yours is 60, set P3D to half of it = 30 + 10% = 33. There isn't an option that says '1/2 refresh rate' like in NI.

Some other are saying unlimited works better for them. Not so much has changed since FSX... ^_^

What is different is that setting frames to unlimited actually seems to help eliminate the blurries (which is the opposite to everything we learnt with FSX)... 

I think he simply meant half of your monitor's refresh rate. If yours is 60, set P3D to half of it = 30 + 10% = 33. There isn't an option that says '1/2 refresh rate' like in NI.

Some other are saying unlimited works better for them. Not so much has changed since FSX... ^_^

In Prepar3D, the "Triple-Buffering" is the equivalent of 1/2 refresh rate, or so I've been told...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Only if LM are redefining established terms ! (which I guess they probably could  :lol: )

Simple explanation - TB allows vsync to be used without having to worry about the frame rate dropping below refresh, and going straight from 60 to 30, as would happen with double buffered vsync. It does introduce input lag as a consequence of the extra buffer.

In many engines a good way to have your cake and eat it too is to use TB/Vsync, and then set a frame limiter to refresh -1.

This fails miserably with the flightsims  :huh:

EDIT: Testing some stuff now, just wanted to add, it is hilariously easy to max out even a decent GPU with this engine. 

Regards,

Brian Doney

I had a look at how performance was at Unlimited and I have the idea things are a bit smoother, specially when looking around with TrackIR.

And btw I also think that, just as with the DX10 fixer, it also helpt to set the TrackIR process at High priority! I only thought about it this evening, tried it and it seems to have a positive effect. Looking around without TIR at that priority and the slider at unlimited results in a slightly smoother experience. However, it is very hard to really test this...

The only issue I have with unlimited in practice is generating 150 fps in the cruise.

It's just a different ballgame. in FSX I had to force 3D clocks to keep my cards awake. 

Testing now, Internal cast and receive eats up 25-30% GPU time on low.

No surprise that the shadows, all of them, are by far the biggest GPU killers.

Regards,

Brian Doney

it's a known issue , you don't need to feel bad.

I had it since FSX. every time you limit with the Sim the FPS, it drops drastically lower.

it was confirmed by many this behavior at the time, I was hoping with P3Dv2 it would be solved, but apparently it wasn't

that is why I never limit my FPS via the Sim, only via the driver.

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

P3D2 and the Framerate Slider

That sounds like the start of a book series. When can we expect the sequel....P3D2 and the VAS Calculator?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

it's a known issue , you don't need to feel bad.

I had it since FSX. every time you limit with the Sim the FPS, it drops drastically lower.

it was confirmed by many this behavior at the time, I was hoping with P3Dv2 it would be solved, but apparently it wasn't

that is why I never limit my FPS via the Sim, only via the driver.

It's a consequence of the engine.

To fix the FPS drop when using the internal limiter you need to set Fiber Frame Time Fraction to .10 or .15. This will bring performance back up to or near what you get unlimited.

BUT, in FSX this would raise the chance of blurries and texture loading problems. This same tweak can still be made in P3D2 so it can't hurt to try.

I ran .10 in FSX with little negative effects but some got bad results. It just depends.