Sign in to follow this  
dazzystar

Well I've given it a fair go.....

Hi All,

As the topic suggests I've spent, since the day of release, many hours (some of which were frustrating) trying to get the best out of P3D2  but must say that I'll be sticking with my FSX FX10 config for the foreseeable future as P3D2 simply isn't anywhere near as good. It may be down to the hardware I have, lack of Orbx V2 regions, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'll be monitoring very carefully and will certainly be dipping my toe in every now and then but for now FSX is King...for me anyway.

Daz

>isn't anywhere near as good

Care to expand more specifically on this?

Not really at this stage as it may be machine specific.

No. Not dumb. Just that my review may cloud other people's interest.

Who the heck is Bloodbean? Joined 2010, 0 posts yet has the gall to vote 'Dumb'! Jeez!

Come on Bloodbean, come out from hiding and tell us why this guy's opinion is dumb. :angry:

EDIT: I've just given a 'Like' just to balance things out. :P

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Fair comment.

it needs a little time to find its feet but it will grow at a rapid pace over the next 12 months I'm enjoying it so far but I understand what your saying.

Why has the OP got a dumb vote for his two posts from Bloodbean this new feedback system is just feeding the trolls big time.

EDIT:: just noticed your comment Ron well said

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

Thanks for that. Appreciated.

I've tried to be fair and balanced.

Perhaps over the years of expanders, tweaking, learning, I've managed to get FSX to perform the best it can on my system, especially with the excellent DX10 and SweetFX addons. I really cannot afford to replace my hardware at the moment and see no reason, whatsoever to do so. I really wanted P3D2 to be a show stopper, but for me it's not.....at the moment.

I shall append my rig specs to my signature but for now it's:

i7 920 O/C 3.36GHz

6GB RAM

GTX 470

THG2G DE

3 x Samsung T240 monitors

Win 7 64-bit

I completely erased FSX from my system yesterday, every little remnant and crumb.  Got rid of DX10 Fixer, so long REX OD add-on, so long all of it and it feels wonderful.  I fire up P3D and it has everything I need, even the freaking clouds are awesome.  No tweaks needed, no extra clouds or water addons, no "DX11 Fixer".  AFAIK this is the future, may as well stay along for the ride.  Cause the FSX support is gone.

I gave a 'like' too - I think it's ridiculous that someone could label a post like that as 'Dumb' ........

'Bloodbean' ; judging people as 'dumb' having never posted in his life      = coward!   :P

I definitely hope the AVSIM staff will remove the 'Dumb' vote ........ it is just artilliary for trolls.....

Anyhoo, to the OP, I don't know what your hardware specs are but P3D2 really needs a graphics card with ideally 2GB VRAM.     I have noticed that most of the people (like me) who are loving it, have 2GB VRAM cards.      For me, my FSX settings always had to stay conservative because I had a Mobo that would not allow CPU overclocking.   So I was always 'restrained' at stock CPU speed of 3.4Ghz.    With P3D2, that now hardly matters, and by 2GB VRAM is 'flexing it's muscles'   :smile:

There's nothing at all wrong with FSX (especially with DX10 running well), but I hope one day you get to enjoy the benefits of P3D2.

We moderators have no ability to change the "voting" as it wouldn't really be fair otherwise...

...and we frankly have far, far more important things to worry about...

I installed P3D v2.0 last night, and finished the install early this morning. After a few self-inflicted mistakes (such as stupidly trying to change the default flight!), I got things working fairly well. I've simply accepted the auto-generated settings that P3D determined based on my hardware.

Quite honestly, I'm rather surprised that it runs at all, given my ancient GTX550Ti video card with only 1GB of VRAM!!!

The main reason for me installing P3D to begin with though was so that I could test out my installer script(s) for Milviz products. It's a good thing too, because I had to adjust the Registry path in the installer so that it would find Prepar3D v2...

The "good news" is that my installer works perfectly, as does the test package I installed. The "bad news" is that my system simply can't handle the full aircraft, textures and gauge system... :unsure:

While I can load and fly the supplied prop aircraft, my system will choke trying to load and run the 'default' jet aircraft, presumably because of all the "glass displays." :blush:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

We moderators have no ability to change the "voting" as it wouldn't really be fair otherwise...

...and we frankly have far, far more important things to worry about..

I was not talking about an intervention in votes;   I was talking about a tweak to the actual IPB forum configuration Bill, to remove the "Dumb" category. 

I gave a 'like' too - I think it's ridiculous that someone could label a post like that as 'Dumb' ........

'Bloodbean' ; judging people as 'dumb' having never posted in his life      = coward!  

I definitely hope the AVSIM staff will remove the 'Dumb' vote ........ it is just artilliary for trolls.....

I think it's clear where the "dumbness"(?) is to be found.  

All the same, I'd for for leaving the "dumb" feedback button there as some posts really do deserve it. Anyway, a dumb vote to what is clearly a reasonable post says a lot more about the voter than it ever could about the poster.

Oh, and +1 likes for Ron.

I was not talking about an intervention in votes;   I was talking about a tweak to the actual IPB forum configuration Bill, to remove the "Dumb" category. 

Oh I see. Perhaps it needs a "Not Dumb" to offset it. After all, the other options are mostly binary choices... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Oh I see. Perhaps it needs a "Not Dumb" to offset it. After all, the other options are mostly binary choices... ;)

Yes that's a good point actually Bill.  Then people could indeed offset any undue 'dumb' accusations!  :smile:

GTX 470 is your issue.  Rest of your rig is almost identical to mine except for that I'm on windows 8.1, your cpu is actually faster than mine. I just bought the EVGA GTX760 video card 2gb DDR5 ---- and p3dv2 is running smooth with most setting 1 notch below max!

For me anyway it's a big improvement over my fsx performance. I assume it has to do with cpu power vs. gpu power.

Not really at this stage as it may be machine specific.

If you think it is a machine problem or setup error then I can understand.

But if you are withholding your feedback because of your hardware specs, that's not just. The more feedback on all types of hardware is important, just need to lay all the info out there so one can judge accordingly.